Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trailing/Radius Arm Bush/Bearing Replacement
Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum > Technical > FAQ
laaf
The 145.gif failed the MOT on the rear radius arm bushes sad.gif This is the swivel joint where the arm attaches to the car body. There's a bit of lateral movement. Has anybody done this and if yes I have a few questions.

1) Do you need to replace the whole arm or just the bushes?
2) Did you need to use a spring compressor or is the spring unloaded at the lowest point of travel?
3) How much were the parts?
4) How long did it take?

Thanks for any help you can give.
miaspa
All I can help with is the springs you won't need a spring compressor use a jack to lower them down slowly.
laaf
Thanks for that. At least I can start to take it apart.
laaf
I found this kit in Shop4Parts.

[attachment=2221:S4P897.jpg]

They say you can fit it without having to strip the brake parts off the radius arm or needing a press. Has anyone done this before?
laaf
I've got the bushes now ready to smash my knuckles today. I expected 2 bits of metal lined rubber and got quite a complex assembly with 2 roller bearing races. Judging by the movement the MOT man showed me the rollers have smashed on the old one. The car used to make a banging side from that corner when going over bumps.

Here's a photo of the assembly assembled.

[attachment=2252:trailing_arm_bush.jpg]

The Shop 4 Parts man said this bush can be changed without stripping parts off the trailing arm. Let's see..... unsure.gif
laaf
I'm stuck.

There's a bolt that runs through a metal sleeve inside the radius arm. It won't turn although I have the nut off the end now. I've had the sledge hammer on it and it won't move through the sleeve. I am guessing the bolt has rusted into the sleeve.

There seem to be 2 options:

1. Keep hitting it.
2. Leave the car outside for several months on the jacks and return to it when I feel ready.

Any ideas?
laaf
I did options 1 (hit it) and 2 (leave it there).

Has anyone run up against this on any car?

All I can think of now is to somehow get a hacksaw in between the arm and the subframe and cut through the bolt on both sides which will probably take all day. sad.gif

Surely somebody's had the same problem???? sad.gif
purple
just had a look in the Haynes manual for a Tipo, essentially the same and it says those bushes cannot be replaced but a whole new arm has to be bought. Grinding the bolt ends off may be the only answer, then heat and a hammer. Sounds a PITA, Punto's had a recall on this some years ago, may be worth asking a Fiat garage maybe??

HTH
laaf
Thanks for the advice. I'll try grinding off the ends- it will at least allow me to open up the mounting a little to get the hacksaw in.
laaf
Just found a good hacksaw for the job.

[attachment=2270:fecksaw.jpg]

It looks like it's made for fecking things off rather than precision work biggrin.gif
laaf
I've been on this all day today. The feck saw came with a blade that snapped pretty much straight away but it takes standard hacksaw blades that I could cut down to size with tin snips. It took ages, then I bought some more expensive bi-metal blades which worked much faster. I ground off the head of the bolt, cut through the bolt, sleeve and collet on one side, then I could open up a gap on the other side to cut through just the bolt. It wasn't good inside with plastic roller bearing carriers and absolutely no sign of the grease that should've been there. I still have to hammer out the bearing seats which probably means taking he whole arm off. When I started I thought it was a one hour job.... laugh.gif laugh.gif
Symon
Could you not get a angle grinder fitted with a slitting / cutting disc in there? My brothers motto is if all else fails use the angle grinder.
laaf
Thanks for the advice. The job's done now. The grinder wouldn't fit into the gap but it was good for grinding the head off the bolt. It was a lot quicker than the saw. I can't believe how many hours this bush has taken to change. The old rollers bearings were in a flimsy plastic net, the new ones are in a proper metal race. Maybe that's why they recalled them?
Kimb
Exactly the same story - MOT fail on nearside arm.
Bought kit, thought "coo - what a lot of bits". Disassembly easy (damper, spring etc) until I got to the pivot bolt.

Much hammering on the flange of the nut underneath - wouldn't shift., considered drilling/tapping the head of the bolt in the wheel well to fit a pulling screw/slide hammer there too.

Left overnight soaking in WD40. Took air saw to car, intending that route if nothing else worked.

Hammer up from 3lb to 4lb - gotit. Rust had locked it on the end 30mm or so - that was enough...

Once the bolt moved, not so bad - arm out (careful of the ABS sensor wire, they're 70 or so I'm told) and DON'T take it off the hub as in the alfa book - you can manage without if you're careful.

Drive the inner race tube out with a good punch - leaves the outer races in the arm.

Break the old plastic tube out and remove it (push pliers into it, twist and it'll pull out through one of the ends. Then you can get the trusty punch in to push the outer races out of their steps.

Clean up and refit - only thing being to use the bolt (or the old one) to pull the inner races down tight _BEFORE_ you try putting the arm in the car - if they're even slightly out of the ends it won't go back in...

Offside arm would be even more fun - there's even less room to punch the ***** pivot bolt out...
returner
QUOTE(Kimb @ 13th May 2008 21:12) *
Much hammering on the flange of the nut underneath - wouldn't shift., considered drilling/tapping the head of the bolt in the wheel well to fit a pulling screw/slide hammer there too.

Left overnight soaking in WD40. Took air saw to car, intending that route if nothing else worked.

Hammer up from 3lb to 4lb - gotit. Rust had locked it on the end 30mm or so - that was enough....

what i do is cut the head of the bolt, not off but so it is a square end that will fit through the hole. least the you can really hit the b**tard from the outside, once it moves a few mm it becomes alot looser so by the time it has become level with the hole its easy to knock through with a hammer and punch cutting the other side off as it comes through so you can knock it through some more etc. can have even the most stubborn ones off within half hour
AR 145
HI - just been reading through threads.

My car has been diagnosed with a faulty rear arm. My mechanic has said that I need a new arm, will I be OK just changing the bushes?

I've seen the bushes on shop4parts, but can't see the arms anywhere for sale?

Symptons im having are loud clunking sounds form the rear nearside wheel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.