Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just bought a new set of tyres...
Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum > Technical > The Rest Of The Car
JeremyG
I'd intended to buy a new set of tyres for the 145 soon - but this lot came up on eBay yesterday for the same money:

[attachment=18685:IMG_4548.jpg]

... a set of charcoal 5-spoke Speedlines, shod with nearly new Pirelli P Zero Nero tyres...

Now, I'm very much for keeping cars stock - and I love the standard Phase 1 QV alloys - but these wheels are the same as those I had on my old 155 and they are stunning.

I'm really not sure which I prefer - but this way I can run around on the black wheels and maybe get the original ones refurbed.

When it stops raining, I'll fit them on one side and take some pics. I bet they'll look mean as hell!
Nigel145
QUOTE(JeremyG @ 12th March 2019 15:23) *
I'd intended to buy a new set of tyres for the 145 soon - but this lot came up on eBay yesterday for the same money:

[attachment=18685:IMG_4548.jpg]

... a set of charcoal 5-spoke Speedlines, shod with nearly new Pirelli P Zero Nero tyres...

Now, I'm very much for keeping cars stock - and I love the standard Phase 1 QV alloys - but these wheels are the same as those I had on my old 155 and they are stunning.

I'm really not sure which I prefer - but this way I can run around on the black wheels and maybe get the original ones refurbed.

When it stops raining, I'll fit them on one side and take some pics. I bet they'll look mean as hell!

Very nice coolio.gif coolio.gif coolio.gif coolio.gif coolio.gif coolio.gif
JeremyG
Well, there was a break in the clouds later today so I bolted on a couple of the 5-spokes.

So which is better:

Cute:

[attachment=18686:IMG_4585.jpg]

or BADASS:

[attachment=18687:IMG_4583.jpg]

Cute:

[attachment=18688:IMG_4596.jpg]

or BADASS:

[attachment=18689:IMG_4589.jpg]

???
Nigel145
Speedlines look the best thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif
VROOM
Normally I'd go original every time, but those do look good. Personally I'd prefer them in silver though.
dante giacosa
ooh!

That's a tricky one- who could turn down a set of 155 wheels (I thought that's what they were!) but in black, against a black car- they kind of subtract themselves from the appearance-

In the way that bright silver wheels on a dark car, can be really nice.

But then- you see them just as a shape: which is really appealing in itself, because they blend in.

It's like really 'red' tail-light clusters on a red car- the light clusters sort of dissapear as a feature against the paintwork.
Wheels & lights often contextualise a shape against paintwork colour.

Good find!
JeremyG
QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 14th March 2019 04:35) *
ooh!

That's a tricky one- who could turn down a set of 155 wheels (I thought that's what they were!) but in black, against a black car- they kind of subtract themselves from the appearance-

In the way that bright silver wheels on a dark car, can be really nice.

But then- you see them just as a shape: which is really appealing in itself, because they blend in.
It's like really 'red' tail-light clusters on a red car- the light clusters sort of dissapear as a feature against the paintwork.
Wheels & lights often contextualise a shape against paintwork colour.

Good find!

Yeah, it is a tricky one... and inevitably, looking at the Speedlines, itís already leading me down a different track of lowering springs to emphasise the more aggressive look... just stop me if I start talking about blackout windows and a massive sub in the boot...

Anyhow, Iíll roll around on the black wheels for the next few weeks and see how I feel about them. Iím certainly interested to see how much a difference the wider/lower profile rubber makes.
Ganz
I might be a bit controversial here but I have really got to like the originals like you got on the 145. However imma gonna put some OZ Superleggeras on soon so what do I know.
JeremyG
QUOTE(Ganz @ 16th March 2019 22:26) *
I might be a bit controversial here but I have really got to like the originals like you got on the 145. However imma gonna put some OZ Superleggeras on soon so what do I know.

I know what you mean - the standard Phase 1 Cloverleaf wheels are beautiful. But having fitted all four of them, and given the car a quick wash, I'm definitely sold on the black Speedlines. They've got a nice combination of elegance and menace... and having taken the car out for a decent test drive, I seem to be getting more grip with the same comfort levels - so I can't complain there!

I'm definitely keeping the originals, though, and will refurb them in time (they've got a little kerb damage, but nothing serious).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.