Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Giulia Veloce
Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum > General > News
aero_mati
Hi

Alfa revealed a new "Veloce" version in the 2016 Paris Autoshow. This new version introduces two new engines, all-wheel drive and cosmetic enhancements. Alfa wants to set the Veloce below the QV and aims at the Audi A4 S-Line and BMW 3Series M-Sport.

The Veloce comes with two new engines. A petrol 2.0 turbo which produces 280 CV @ 5250 rpm and 400 Nm @ 2250 rpm and a 2.2 turbodiesel developing 210 CV @ 3.500 rpm and 470 Nm @ 1750 rpm. The new AWD revives the Q4 name. Unlike the old Q4 system (based on the Lancia Delta integrale's system) the new system sends 100% of the power to the rear wheels under normal circumstances and can send up to 60% of the power to the front wheels when needed. Both engines are coupled to the 8-speed automatic transmission.

Apart from the new mechanical bits and pieces the Veloce has bespoke new bumpers to differentiate it from the "normal" Giulia, the visual changes also include a new 19' optional rims, twin exhaust pipes and xenon headlights. The interior changes include aluminium accents, sporty leather seats, dual-zone climate controls, 6,5 touchscreen. The Veloces will pack an autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian recognition, forward collision and lane departure warning, as well as cruise control featuring a built-in speed limiter.

Cheers
GialloEvo94
wub.gif

http://www.autoblog.it/post/825242/alfa-ro...2016-live-video

I think I just found my next car biggrin.gif
aero_mati
QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ 30th September 2016 13:18) *

Looks great, the "regular" Giulia looks too bland and the Veloce is a nice alternative to the bonkers QV. I think the Giulia design is quite common, Alfa design is usually unique, but the Giulia looks a bit like a BMW 3/5 series. I do get that Alfa needs sales and in order to get them it has to play it safe design wise. I've yet to see a Giulia in person (Arese museum didn't have one in display rant.gif )

GialloEvo94
QUOTE(aero_mati @ 30th September 2016 19:41) *
Looks great, the "regular" Giulia looks too bland and the Veloce is a nice alternative to the bonkers QV. I think the Giulia design is quite common, Alfa design is usually unique, but the Giulia looks a bit like a BMW 3/5 series. I do get that Alfa needs sales and in order to get them it has to play it safe design wise. I've yet to see a Giulia in person (Arese museum didn't have one in display rant.gif )

I think you're right. It's styling is sort of a cross between a BMW and an Audi A4. But I guess the important difference being that this one has an Italian thoroughbred badge on the front biggrin.gif

They do look nice in the press photos but I guess you really do need to see one in the flesh before being able to make a properly informed opinion.

Looks like the pricing is going to be upwards of 45k GBP over here in Europe which is just way too expensive for an Alfa. I think they'll struggle to sell many for that sort of money except to people who are die hard Alfa fans and/or who have more money than they know what to do with.
aero_mati
QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ 30th September 2016 17:46) *
I think you're right. It's styling is sort of a cross between a BMW and an Audi A4. But I guess the important difference being that this one has an Italian thoroughbred badge on the front biggrin.gif

They do look nice in the press photos but I guess you really do need to see one in the flesh before being able to make a properly informed opinion.

Looks like the pricing is going to be upwards of 45k GBP over here in Europe which is just way too expensive for an Alfa. I think they'll struggle to sell many for that sort of money except to people who are die hard Alfa fans and/or who have more money than they know what to do with.

The only thing that bothers me with the Giulia design is the lack of a front grille between the headlights and the "cuore", something that was present in almost every single Alfa. From the 75 to the 159 you can see an evolution in the design, the Giulia lacks that sense of connection with older Alfa saloons.

Anyway, design is subjective, but why do you think 50,500 € is expensive? A BMW 330i M-Sport is more expensive, is not as equipped and is less powerful (both 2.0, Alfa produces 280cv vs 250cv from BMW). I don't know why Alfa is so underrated (they no longer rust to death or have electrical problems). I get that Alfa is a niche brand, but I'm happy that FINALLY it's trying hard to beat the Germans laugh.gif
GialloEvo94
I think the problem here is that Alfa are not really regarded as a "prestige" car brand like their German counterparts yet they are trying to target some of their cars in that very market space / price range.

Anyone who has that sort of money to spend on a car is generally going to go for one of the other brands with a proven repuation and track record in that market space. The Alfa brand unfortunately still has a bit of a stigma attached to it from years gone by and is still perceived by many as an unreliable brand even if that's not really the case anymore. It's sometimes hard to shake off that kind of reputation. Just look at Skoda. They have a terrible past history from the late 1980's even though the cars they produce today under the VAG brand can't really be faulted, yet I know many people who won't touch them with a barge pole. Maybe it's just badge snobbery but I'm sure past reputation also plays a part.

The depreciation rate of Alfa models also seems to be much faster compared to some other brands and this is always something people will consider when buying a new car. Trying to sell an Alfa on can be problematic because as you say they're in a niche market space so you either have to be prepared to wait around until an "Alfa lover" comes along and pays what you want for the car, or you have to take a hit and accept less than the car is really worth just to sell it on.

I really can't see that many people shelling out €50k or more of their own money on a normal Alfa even if it is a sporty model. Obviously the 4c and 8c are in a completely different league and something quite special which is why people do spend their money on those particular models. Most likely you will find that any owners of the Giulia will either be running them as company cars or will have them on some kind of a lease agreement. There may of course be a few die hard Alfa fanatics who will buy one of their own but I bet there won't be huge numbers of those.

I think I will wait for 3 or 4 years until that €50k car ends up becoming €15-20k on the used car market. Maybe then I will think about possibly getting one smile.gif That's assuming driverless cars haven't taken over the world by then blink.gif

I will of course be more than happy to be proven completely wrong in my theory when the Giulia  starts appearing in dealer showrooms biggrin.gif
aero_mati
Spot on thumbsup.gif , my post might have sounded too biased haha. I do know that any normal person would pick an BMW/Audi/Mercedes over an Alfa/Volvo/Lexus because it sounds better, the same happens here in Argentina.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.