Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Card Removal
Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum > Technical > FAQ
pola bear
is this easy? i cant see any screws around it, i can see 2 caps that i think cover some bolts at pull handle.

im getting this really nasty loud cracking/snapping sound at the hinge and need to take off the doorcard to investigate.

cheers
pola
jam
yeah undo those screws and then find the biggest screwdriver you can (there are special tools for this)

look around the edge of the door card and should find that its held in with plastic push in things.

find one of these and place a piece of card against the paint near where the plastic thing is insert screw driver next plastic bit and twist gently and the plastic bit will come out, go around entire card like this and it will come off, a brute force i'm afraid.
Chris145
I've marked up all the screws (apart from the speaker screws) on the following pictures.

Its worthwhile taking this part off but not essential. It just makes life easider when you're teasing the card back in place. Just one screw and it should lever off. Be carefull to remeber to disconnect the tweeter.......

Use a flat bladed screwdriver to prise the leccy window switch out and you'll find a screw behind it. Prise the rectangular cover off the door handle housing and low and behold, there's a screw behind it.

Same goes for these three covers and screws.

Now you need to remove the speaker grill (think it just prises off with a screw driver) and un-screw the 4 screws holding the speaker in, disconnect the speaker and remove.

The door card should now come off with a firm tug. Unless Its been attacked before, youll find a foam sheet behind the door card. The best way to remove it is to chase round the edge of the foam where its glued with horrible back stuff with a SHARP knife. Just repair any tears with duck tape.

Refitting is the same as removal but you need to make sure all the plastic clips are in the card and have not been left behind in the door. Its also a right pain in the backside getting all the plastic clips back in the right place.

EDIT by GialloEvo94 on 5th May 2013: Links to all the pictures appear to be dead but you can find instruction on pages 105-107 of the workshop manuals HERE.
pimp
Chris your the daddy of how to's .

keep up the good work biggrin.gif
Dave Brand
QUOTE(pola bear @ Feb 1 2005, 01:49 AM)
im getting this really nasty loud cracking/snapping sound at the hinge and need to take off the doorcard to investigate.

The noise is most likely a broken door check check strap - a common fault. You can do a quick check (no pun intended!) without removing the door cards. Just take out the two screws holding the check strap to the body, or, if it's removable, take out the hinge pin; if the noise goes away, you need to replace the check strap. Under 10 from an Alfa dealer, but make sure you get the right one - some have the hinge pin riveted in place, others use a removable pin.

Fitting is relatively easy, but you've got to unscrew the bottom end of the window runner & move the runner to give you room to get the old check mechanism out & the new one in.
Chris145
QUOTE(pimp @ Feb 1 2005, 02:40 PM)
Chris your the daddy of how to's .

keep up the good work biggrin.gif

blush.gif blush.gif blush.gif
pola bear
many thanks guys i shall attempt this tommorrow night, the noise is driving me nuts!

and yes im sure its the check strap, as i can see it clicking noisily.

cheers again
pola
purple
Damn, that alcantara is good.

Found the website for the uk supplier

http://www.boyriven.co.uk/alcantara.htm

must get some, if not the 145 then the 75. Lancias are just dripping in the stuff. gleam.gif gleam.gif
mh1000
its fairly easy Pola, screws are where Chris says,then takes some jiggling as there are mass production style plastic fixings, they arent really upto multiple use

i stripped the door down to sort a window out -check the latter posts in this thread for pics with card removed

http://www.alfa145.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=328&hl=
Dave Brand
QUOTE(pola bear @ Feb 1 2005, 10:14 PM)
and yes im sure its the check strap, as i can see it clicking noisily.

Another quick check is to see if the screws holding the check strap to the door are loose. Pull the rubber cover off & try the screws - you'll need a Ribe driver. If the screws are loose (probably only one will be loose) tighten them; if this reduces the noise, it's a sure indication that the check strap is broken. If you can be sure that you need a new check strap, it's easier to get the new one before you start, thus obviating the need to remove the door card twice!

What happened with mine, a typical failure mode, I believe, is that one half of the door mounting bracket on the check strap broke, thus putting all the load on the other one. The noise, I believe, is caused by the roller running off the check strap & then clicking back into place. For the technically minded, it was a fatigue crack starting at a stress raiser where the metal had been bent.
shaifulo
sorry guys, a noob here.....mine has that creaking sound from inside the door panel as well. need to investigate but, what exactly is the 'check strap'?
Wrighty
ive got a couple of alcantara covered additions ready to go in mine at some point, i'll post pics when im done wink.gif
Mave
QUOTE(shaifulo @ Mar 9 2005, 06:30 PM)
sorry guys, a noob here.....mine has that creaking sound from inside the door panel as well. need to investigate but, what exactly is the 'check strap'?

It's the linkage that holds the door partly open (2 positions?), rather than just swinging wildly.
Grub2000
Help...

I am trying to change my check straps but can't get the gits out. i have loosened the window runner but still cant seem to get the catch through the gap, also the other end didn't have a removable pin so I can't get it through the small hole in the door.
Do I need to take the window out or something?
Dave Brand
QUOTE(Grub2000 @ Aug 21 2005, 03:28 PM)
Help...

I am trying to change my check straps but can't get the gits out. i have loosened the window runner but still cant seem to get the catch through the gap, also the other end didn't have a removable pin so I can't get it through the small hole in the door.
Do I need to take the window out or something?

You're doing it right. You need to pull the runner out of the way - if I remember correctly, towards the back of the car & the outside of the door. It's not easy, but it can be done!
Grub2000
After many a swear word and scuffed knuckles I finally did it. What I wasn't doing was turning the end inwards to make it shorter...doh.
Tifosi1976
they are indeed a PITA to get back on as I found out, again, this afternoon.

HOWEVER!!!

Tif's Top Tip for the day!

Reaffix one of the long bolts through the door handle back into the door, not all the way though. This will then let you pivot the card until you have 'em all matching up. Then start with the one middle top of door, then from bottom front top top rear across to top front and bottom rear. Then the other bottom ones.

made a PITA job a doddle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.