Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gender Discrimination - Insurance
Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum > General > News
stevepx
A Belgian pressure group has potitioned the european court of justice that insurance companies are ignoring european law and still rating insurance based on gender. You know with car insurance women get cheaper insurance because they are less likely to have an accident then men.................working in the industry for many years gender has always (statistically proven) to be a rating factor not just with car insurance but life insurance, health plans etc etc. Well, on March 1st 2011 the ecj found that using gender to rate insurance policies was in fact against european law. the passing of the new regulations has been postponed until 21/12/2012........currently unsure how the industry will react, ideally prices will come down in line with female rates but i suspect as a poke in the eye of the law being passed rates for all will be increased to match the male rating factor, or as a best case scenario will fall somewhere in the middle. i ask what next, agism......insurance can not be judged on how old/young you are.........european law and court system is out of whack..........still i guess if you watnt to pass a law that's insane and out of touch with reality then you might just get it passed!!! just go to the european court of justice!!!!!
NaanBread
dont get my started rant.gif
purple
I think it is quite amusing all these birds are up in arms about it, seems they wish to pick and choose which equality regulations they want to abide by.

Trouble is being married, when you have to pay her increased premium. Grrrrr
stevepx
it sucks.............irrational stupidity......it's gonna cost the industry 's to sort out rating/software issues which will no doubt be passed back on to the consumer. Why the hell we don't step away from EU law entirely and govern ourselves exclusively i am sure we would do a better job. no stupid weights and measures in grams & KG, MM & CM litres etc. whats wrong with gallons, pints, pounds, inches fett and yards! seemed all to work well for a few hundred years before hand! man i sound like my dad!!!!
AJ
Admiral reckon ithe ruling will boost profits.

Of course as a bloke I am waiting to see my insurance drop to meet that of what my girlfriend was paying... oh it doesn't work that way does it?! What I meant to say is that I can't wait to be paying more to insure both cars.

This is a tricky one though - in a risk based industry where the statistics do trend with certain demographics then it makes sense. I guess insurers will just be asking for height and shoe size next to determine what category you fit into.

Regarding our weights and measures units - my future inlaws get masively confused when they come here (from Spain) with our mix of miles, kilos etc - as they have no concept of miles/feet/inches. Having grown up with constant swapping between units it you don't realise it as much.
930Tech
QUOTE(NaanBread @ 4th March 2011 22:22) *
dont get my started rant.gif

Yes i can see you'll be upset Naan, now you wont get cheaper insurance than us blokes. whistle.gif
NaanBread
I had a feeling that was coming...laugh.gif

I just hate the EU, they ruin everything this country was built on!

Mens insurance is meant to come down 5-10% and womens is going up by 20%. Official figures should be realised soon apparently.
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(NaanBread @ 5th March 2011 11:31) *
Mens insurance is meant to come down 5-10% and womens is going up by 20%. Official figures should be realised soon apparently.

Lets's be realistic...as AJ says that just isn't going to happen. Statistics are already in place to determine what blokes should be paying and nothing has changed there so prices will remain the same. Women's insurance will just go up to the same as blokes because of the EU ruling so those who have wives or girlfriends insured on their cars will just end up paying more. Highly unlikely that anyone will be paying less, even blokes who are the only person insured on their own car.
paulcanning69
it feels like i have always paid the same amout of money to insure my car for the last 11 years, im over 30 with 10years NCB but i never see any discount its pants
purple
QUOTE(paulcanning69 @ 5th March 2011 11:40) *
it feels like i have always paid the same amout of money to insure my car for the last 11 years, im over 30 with 10years NCB but i never see any discount its pants

me too, my first fully comp insurance was 300 in 1981, and I still pay 300.
NaanBread
does that mean I will still be paying 1000 in the next 10-20years time?

I hope wages go up! laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.