Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resonator Replacement With A Straight Through Pipe
Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum > Technical > Twin Spark Engine Only Oily Stuff
Pages: 1, 2
CMA
Had a busy morning down at my Dads place fitted this finally (Thanks to Nobby for supplying)...

It went from this.. (sh!te camera phone pics sorry but wasn't going to get grease all over my new digi camera)

to this...

Sounds very nice but not too loud, I took the bumper off fully and it made it very easy to get to all the nuts, although the 2 captive nuts on the 2 sides broke free so had a bit of fun with a spanner and socket to get them off. I didn't remove the wheel liner at all only removed the 2 clips each side holding it to the bumper.

I can't really test if fully yet as I have also just fitted these this morning and not bedded in yet..

Also fitted a new NS wishbone but couldn't be arsed to take any pics of that as it was boring to look at.

thumbup.gif

Off to bed the brakes in now pappap.gif
miaspa
Far to busy, just got up! blink.gif

Anyone gotta sound clip with the resonator removed?
bobda
How much were your disks, Rob?
CMA
QUOTE(bobdabilda @ Oct 31 2004, 12:07 AM)
How much were your disks, Rob?

Got the RedDot discs and RedDot pads from http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/ have a look there for the price I paid

Only done a few miles with them on and they already seem better than the standard stuff.

I may do a sound clip if I get chance, not too much difference in the car, just abit more throaty and boomy but not chav like. But it does seem to pull a bit jerky not as smooth as before but I'll give it a few more miles till I set judgement on it. Off to Cheshire 2mos so that will give me a good run.
bobda
You can give it a good run on the way to the Northern meet on Thursday as well wink.gif tongue.gif
CMA
QUOTE(bobdabilda @ Oct 31 2004, 01:21 AM)
You can give it a good run on the way to the Northern meet on Thursday as well wink.gif tongue.gif

Unfortunatly I can't make it already busy that evening sad.gif
samsagaz
wich is the function of the resonator?

what happend if i remove it?
LUAP
Better induction sound, and seems to go better.
samsagaz
oh, and which is the function of the Resonator?

i can broke anything if i remove it?
GTA
QUOTE(samsagaz @ Feb 15 2005, 05:15 PM)
oh, and which is the function of the Resonator?

i can broke anything if i remove it?

Brake it off.....you will never use it again thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif
brasco
Is there a filter or anything inside the resonator - or is it just a funny shaped lump of plastic?

T
xxxvekyxxx
holy cow!!!
didnt know that south africans drive also on the wrong/right side of the road

s**t
se145
CMA..hi,

looking to change my k&N induction filter back to k&n panel filter...and seen the mods you did...removing the resonator etc....look good smile.gif

where did you get the replacement piping section from?...and what was the connection like back into the air box?...do you think the mod can just be done with the standard car jack? cheers stu
CMA
Got the part from Nobby (member on here) it's an original alfa part so the fitting is perfect and you should be able to get it from any alfa dealer the part number is somewhere on this forum too.

You should be able to just do it on a jack as you don't need to fully remove the bumper to put the pipe on, I removed it just to make it easier.
Dogbreath
QUOTE(xxxvekyxxx @ Mar 4 2005, 04:16 PM)
holy cow!!!

s**t

You are right you know, driving on the right hand side of the road is WRONG. Most people are right handed, i'd rather have the majority of people steering with their dominate hand and change gear with the left...those crazy frenchies doing ut all wrong again lol
se145
found it....thanks...se smile.gif
gpfleming
CMA - nice work with that resonator removal...........but unless I'm mistaken........ you've got your new discs on the wrong side! Those grooves should fling out the dust and crap, centrifugally - not push it all in to the hub like yours will!
I'm sure you need to swap them over - R to L, L to R.
bobda
He's right, you know!

smile.gif
pimp
hang on.

6 grove go on a different way to 20 and 40.

I will talk to red dot today and find out.
gpfleming
QUOTE(pimp @ Apr 30 2005, 09:22 AM)
hang on.

6 grove go on a different way to 20 and 40.

6 Groove go on a different way? - there's no way on earth that's the case - all grooved discs go on the same way - grooves on the upper edge should be angled up to the rear of the car. Unless you drive everywhere in reverse!?! blink.gif
CMA
Thats the way the instructions said they should be fitted. But i look forward to what RedDot have to say if Pimp gets chance to have a word.
bobda
I'm pretty certain they're fitted the wrong way.

Fitting them the way you have will hugely increase brake pad wear.
Think about the way the wheel turns.
CMA
I thought it was weird too but thats what RedDots instructions specifically said the 20 & 40 groves are fitted the other way but the 6 are fitted the way I have them done. I was going to scan in the instructions but I can't seem to find them.
pimp
Well i forgot to talk to them today when i meet some of them.

anyway i have to go and fit 6 groves to my mates s**t box, front and rears, so i will let you know then.

oh and i will try and take a photo of the instructions.
CMA
Just sent them an email to see what they say, also invited them to post on this discussion, have to see what they come back with......
CMA
Just had a reply from RedDot......

gpfleming
Rob - I see your point!?! That is the most bizarre thing I have ever known and I'm not too convinced by their reply. I can't understand why the no. of grooves would make the difference? However, having read your other thread about the grinding brakes noise - the first thing I'd do is swap 'em over. - 2 hours work - max! gotta be worth a try.

Edit - I think their comment about 'for best result' is the key - as has been said before, putting them on like that will likely increase the 'grab' on the disc but - it'll eat pads like I don't know what! - and is almost certainly the source of your 'grinding noise under heavy braking'.

End of the day it's your call but if it were me then I'd swap 'em, bed 'em in and see how it drives - I'd bet my mortgage it's smoother than at the moment.
pimp
Opps i forgot to take a pic. anyays i did't matter.

I have these on my 145 and there is a little bit more noise, but saying that i have never had groved disc on any of my cars before.

We fitted them to a calibra 16V last night, front and rears. once thay where fitted, we made sure thay where beded in right. we braked as hard as we could from 100-0. smoke every where and now thay seem fine. Loads better then before.
gpfleming
Pimp - have you fitted them the 'traditional' way or the 'back to front way' as directed by Red Dot?
pimp
the red dot way wink.gif
AJ
Grooved discs are always more noisy than non grooved/drilled - no matter what make they are. They do have a grindy noise, it's the pad running over the grooves. The noise will be quite loud in comparison to what you had before.
se145
...got my resonator removed and replacement hose fitted today...cheers for info and part no.s etc....did it with bumper still on so a bit tricky...resonator was a b*stard to get out...but nice sound now! biggrin.gif
CMA
My resonator slipped out nice and easy but I did take the bumper off to do it
gman145
Hi All,

Anyone please know the part number off the air feed replacement pipe???

Guy in the alfa dealer things it never exisits.....
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(gman145 @ Jun 12 2006, 09:28 PM)

I ordered and got mine about 4 weeks ago. The part number is 60617628. It's 2.75 + VAT smile.gif
Sharky
QUOTE(xxxvekyxxx @ Mar 4 2005, 04:16 PM)
holy cow!!!

s**t

We don't drive on the wrong side of the road , you do ! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Jason
145.gif gleam.gif
gman145
QUOTE(gman145 @ Jun 12 2006, 09:28 PM)

I ordered and got mine about 4 weeks ago. The part number is 60617628. It's 2.75 + VAT 

Thanks dude!

Much appreciated!!!

Now just gotta try and get it fitted.... Hmm..

You done our yet? any difference?
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(gman145 @ Jun 15 2006, 11:56 AM)
You done our yet? any difference?

Not finished mine yet as the car is still in bits. I'm still at this stage as my new airbox still hasn't arrived yet sad.gif

If you've got a facelift then be aware of the screws that connect the bumper to the wheel arch liners as the can be troublesome (see here). If you've got pre-facelift bumpers then plastic clips are used instead of screws so you shouldn't have any such issues smile.gif
Ads
Now the straight through pipe, this would be visible (and feel-able) by looking down infront of the airbox correct? From wedging my hand down into the gap, it seems that my car is already running the straight though pipe - I can't feel a bend as far back as I can get my hand in.

Is it definitely necessary to remove the bumper to check for the resonator?

Cheers!

Ads
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(Ads @ Dec 14 2006, 03:26 PM) *
Is it definitely necessary to remove the bumper to check for the resonator?

No, you can see it with the bumper in sutu. follow the pipe out of the front of the airbox and it goes down into the bumper cavity through a gap in the inner wing. The new straight through pipe is ribbed (see CMA's pic in the first post) so you'll be able to tell just by feeling it what's actually fitted to your car.
Ads
Ah that's excellent. I was going to ask whether the standard resonator pipe was smooth, as the pipe on my car is definitely ribbed.

Thanks chap, very helpful. smile.gif

Ads
jlgrosvenor
I have had the fabled resonator replacement pipe on back order with Alfa for over three months now. The stockist (Autoworld Chesterfield) have told me that the delivery estimate for this part is January 2007, but that Alfa have given this 1 star out of six for reliability. Basically, this means that it will not be available in January.

Looks like I won't be able to get the pipe to make the mod.

Never mind. I have had the bumper off whilst I am trying to stem the corrosion problem on the bottom of the front bumper mounts and so have removed the resonator easily without damage. I have cut the start of the resonator pipe and the piece that goes in to the airbox and glued and black taped them together (stop laughing everyone). I have had to manufacture a new bracket out of a little piece of strip steel - painted of course.

I will take some pics and post the result, but this seems to be the best option available to me. And the cheapest.
jlgrosvenor
At long last, I have got round to taking pictures of the DIY straight through pipe and a picture of the original resonator showing where I made the cuts.

[attachment=4743:resonatorSide_Old.jpg]

[attachment=4744:Image020cut.jpg]
Symon
That is the same thing that I have done to my resonator. I must say that my car appears slower than it did with the resonator in place. So I will get another pipe and re-fit the resonator soon.
The car is not only less punchy at the top end but also at the bottom. The car does sound faster though and is a bit intrusive and boomy at motorway speeds. The sound is also a bit too chavvy for my liking.

This was done before I fitted my chip By the way.
Slamby
QUOTE(symonh2000 @ Jan 16 2007, 03:13 PM) *
That is the same thing that I have done to my resonator. I must say that my car appears slower than it did with the resonator in place. So I will get another pipe and re-fit the resonator soon.
The car is not only less punchy at the top end but also at the bottom. The car does sound faster though and is a bit intrusive and boomy at motorway speeds. The sound is also a bit too chavvy for my liking.

This was done before I fitted my chip By the way.

Thanks for the feedback. I was considering doing this mod on mine, but won't bother now, as I think I wouldn't like the resulting sound.

Now please excuse me, but I'm going to cower in a wardrobe as I think the roof of my house is about to be ripped off by the wind.......
Symon
The sound without the resonator is similar to the sound you get with the top not fitted to the airbox correctly.
You loose the TS zing and get a Chavvy roar IMO. whistle.gif
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(symonh2000 @ Jan 18 2007, 10:49 PM) *
You loose the TS zing and get a Chavvy roar IMO. whistle.gif

I'm afraid I have to disagree but everyone to their own. Maybe it's just different on the Phase 2 TS plastic top engine which is what I have unsure.gif Without the resonator box I certainly wouldn't say mine is particularly boomy at motorway cruising speeds and I wouldn't describe my intake sound as chavvy either. I also didn't notice any noticeable change in power/torque, either better or worse...seemed just pretty much the same as when the resonator was fitted.

If anyone is unsure whether or not to do this resonator mod then my suggestion is to give it a try and if you don't like it then just put the resonator back on again. The straight-through pipe is only a few quid so it's not like you wasted a lot of money if you don't like it...just the time taken to swap the resonator with the pipe and then visa-versa again.
jlgrosvenor
QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ Jan 18 2007, 11:25 PM) *
The straight-through pipe is only a few quid so it's not like you wasted a lot of money if you don't like it...just the time taken to swap the resonator with the pipe and then visa-versa again.

Only one small problem there GE.

It seems impossible to get hold of the Brazilian air pipe from Alfa. I have had one on order for 4 months now - still listed as unlikely to arrive so I have (obviously from my above post) hacked my resonator to bits and constructed that kack-handed alternative above laugh.gif
Symon
I have just put my resonator back on, and the car sounds crisper, pulls better and now sounds like an Alfa should do IMO.
No more boomy intake noise at certain speeds and there seems to be better midrange torque too.
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(symonh2000 @ Feb 11 2007, 02:09 PM) *
I have just put my resonator back on, and the car sounds crisper, pulls better and now sounds like an Alfa should do IMO.
No more boomy intake noise at certain speeds and there seems to be better midrange torque too.

IIRC you fitted a TITAN chip to your car a short time ago so that may well have some effect on your particular car being better with the resonator left on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.