Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fitting 5 Bolt Hubs (front)
Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum > Technical > FAQ
skeeno
just thought i would start my thread
with few pics will keep adding to it as i
progress
first i removed the brake caliper
two allen key bolts . then the bracket two 17mm bolts .
then hooked caliper out of the way .
you can either leave caliper on if you have somebody to
press brakes so you can remove hub nut or remove it
and put it out of the way . i preffered to put it up out of the way
then remove disc and backing plate gives better access to
the track rod bolt at the bottom then unclip the wire for the
abs sensor . then i put wheel back on lowered it to the ground
and undid the hub nut . remember to remove the caulks on the nut
or you will be swinging like a gorilla . you will need a 36mm thin walled
socket . impact socket will not fit and the last thing you want to do is round the nut head
then i raised the jack took wheel off undid the steering rack bolt
then track rod bolt which had been rounded badly by previous owner rant.gif
then i removed the two bolts at the top on the strut .then removed the drive shaft

then you will need hub puller to remove hub from drive shaft then its just a case of putting back in reverse
using new hub nut where possible . its worth taking a few mins at the start with a wire brush and some wd40
and clean all the threads best you can more pics to follow

i have looked at the gtv hub and its the exact same one as my qv so should be straight swap . and the disc too
sorry
about the pics i was trying to get as many as i could before it rained

EDIT (22/09/2009): put front on today its a straight swap no messing wink.gif

[attachment=9158:P201109_14.57.jpg][attachment=9159:P201109_14.56.jpg]
[attachment=9160:P201109_14.55__01_.jpg][attachment=9161:P201109_14.55.jpg]
[attachment=9165:P211109_15.18.jpg][attachment=9179:DSC04832.JPG]
GialloEvo94
Out of interest, have you tried offerring up the GTV hub carriers to the suspension strut yet? The reason I ask is that someone on AO has done the same conversion but found the hub carrier section to be too wide where it bolts in between the 2 brackets welded onto the strut. The hole alignment was apparently also not quite right either. He had to grind down the hub carrier fixing and re-drill some new holes. Just wondering if you've found the same issues? The post(s) on AO can be found HERE.
skeeno
looking at his pic i think its because he has got brembo calipers the hub on a
v6 is diffrent than the 2.0l i think it will be on today so will let you know
skeeno
fronts on now wink.gif
930Tech
Any problems?
GialloEvo94
Great news biggrin.gif Just a straight bolt-on then with no modifications required? Pictures? (please smile.gif)
langers
I have a pic on my phone which he sent mate, i will try and upload that later.
skeeno
pic is the last one above you can see the 5 studs
skeeno
QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ 22nd November 2009 00:38) *
Great news biggrin.gif Just a straight bolt-on then with no modifications required? Pictures? (please smile.gif)

no mods needed at all only trouble i had
last owner rounded pinch bolt but i just bought
a focus one 55mm x 10mm biggrin.gif
GialloEvo94
Good work thumbsup.gif I'll stick this thread in the FAQ's smile.gif
fer145
Thanks!! good job!!!
skeeno
fronts now on biggrin.gif

[attachment=9175:DSC04832.JPG][attachment=9176:DSC04835.JPG]
930Tech
Have you been working in the rain?
skeeno
yeah wet n peed off now oh and freezing biggrin.gif
Anthony
Nice work! You will be chuffed when you see it in the morning smile.gif

You've done the rears already?
skeeno
yeah rear was the easy bit fronts were easy but not so much in the rain rolleyes.gif
skeeno
looks even better now polished the wheels im well chuffed
John Ramsay
Looks spot on, great job biggrin.gif thumbup.gif
purple
excellent work.

I wonder why those German guys who did the V6 3.0 conversion left the rear wheels as four studs given that the rest of thier work was so precise?
crikey_spud
Nice conversion! did you have to modify the wheel arches to take the bigger wheels?
Will twinspark 156 hubs work instead of GTV's?
crikey_spud
Will this conversion work on a boxer engined 146? I know the front suspension is different to a TS, will a gtv front hub still bolt on ok?
930Tech
QUOTE(crikey_spud @ 3rd December 2009 17:39) *
Nice conversion! did you have to modify the wheel arches to take the bigger wheels?
Will twinspark 156 hubs work instead of GTV's?

No, this conversion works with GTV hubs because the GTV is another tipo based car like the 145.gif and 146.gif and uses the same running gear but with 5 stud hubs.
930Tech
QUOTE(crikey_spud @ 3rd December 2009 17:48) *
Will this conversion work on a boxer engined 146? I know the front suspension is different to a TS, will a gtv front hub still bolt on ok?

The back will bolt on but i'm pretty sure the fronts are not the same, someone will be along shortly to confirm this, my monies on bla3d00r or GE.
Hybrd
Nearly did'nt read this, Yes the front struts are different, with 3 bolts rather than 2 attaching them to the uprights, i dont think the is a 5 stud hub with this fitment unfortunatly,

However the springs are the same, but you cant use 16v ts struts because the steer joins on half way up the strut rather than on the hub.

Only thing i can think of is calling a company who do conversion spacers (the things that allow VW bettles to use porsche or merc wheels) and seeing if they have or can supply a set to convert from 4x98 to 5x98 only issue there is you offset will be out a tad.

HTH
crit71
I always wanted to do this but was always under the impression it wasn't possible....or extremely difficult to do.
You can fit some seriously nice wheels on there now. Would the 156 GTA alloys fit???
Hybrd
Not anymore as he's now getting rid of it! laugh.gif
crit71
QUOTE(bla3d00r @ 3rd December 2009 22:03) *
Not anymore as he's now getting rid of it! laugh.gif

ohmy.gif ....thats terrible news....
Hybrd
Only because he got another one in better nick for a 150 laugh.gif
crikey_spud
Thanks guys, I will stick to looking for nice 4 stud wheels then.......
At least it means I can get on with uprating the brakes without wondering "what if I decide to...." biggrin.gif
crikey_spud
Ok, I have been doing a little research and have found that the early 146's have the same front wheel bearing as a ts GTV, anyone know if it would be possible to just swap the hubs over? (the actual rotating bit)
I might just get one and try it!

coolio.gif
skeeno
QUOTE(crikey_spud @ 6th December 2009 16:17) *
Ok, I have been doing a little research and have found that the early 146's have the same front wheel bearing as a ts GTV, anyone know if it would be possible to just swap the hubs over? (the actual rotating bit)
I might just get one and try it!

coolio.gif

not sure but its a lot easier to do the whole lot instead of
pressing bearings out if it will fit

this it the description off fleabay the hubs on the 146 are the same as 145

Alfa Romeo 145/146/155 O/S/F Hub Assembly ABS NEW
plus its the same as gtv hub

[attachment=9271:_Bbi2J_Q...9_g___35.jpg]
crikey_spud
Thanks Skeeno, I took a look at that hub on eBay, my 146 is a boxer engined model so has a different front hub assy so not as easy a swap as yours, I am hoping I can press out the 4 stud hub and push the 5 stud in its place (after careful measurements of course!) with new bearings.
Just had a quote of 95 delivered for all 4 hubs from a 98 2.0 GTV, that sound like a good price?
skeeno
QUOTE(crikey_spud @ 6th December 2009 19:07) *
Thanks Skeeno, I took a look at that hub on eBay, my 146 is a boxer engined model so has a different front hub assy so not as easy a swap as yours, I am hoping I can press out the 4 stud hub and push the 5 stud in its place (after careful measurements of course!) with new bearings.
Just had a quote of 95 delivered for all 4 hubs from a 98 2.0 GTV, that sound like a good price?

yeah sounds about what i paid without the postage as i collected
should be fine then if your pressing the bearings out
Hybrd
It may well work that way, never tryed with 2 different types before but make sure they are identical in every way first.
skeeno
true let us know how you get on
crikey_spud
I will dig out all my measuring calipers and micrometers from college and make sure it is all the same, will have to sweet talk my mate to press the hubs out in his garage!
Will let you know how I get on! (with pics of course)
kostis1969
Hello there!
I've been reading this post again and again as i want to do the same conversion. I have a facelift 145 '99, 1.4 ts. Am i going to face any problems, as the studs will be either from a 1.8 GTV or a 2.0 GTV, both twin spark engines.

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.