Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Key Lock Barrel Removal
Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum > Technical > FAQ
langers
Right, i have taken all the locks etc off my 145 so i have sell them as a lock set . . .how the hell do i remove the barrel?!?! Iv removed everything around it! Apart from drilling out 2 rivets. . .do i have to drill these out? I only want to barrel part for the key out!
ukautosalvage
How to remove:
  1. Put the key in ignition.
  2. Turn to the MAR position.
  3. Look under and towards back of black plastic which barrel fits into you will see a round hole about 3 mm diameter. Once you have found this poke something in it, ideally a small allen key or screwdriver which will push the pin in and allow you to remove the ignition barrel.

Dead easy once you find the hole. Don't forget to remove the transponder pickup ring around ignition lock, the yellow CODE box and of course the ECU.

Jason
langers
Cheers Jason,

always dead easy once you find the hole ;-)
langers
Jason,

Iv had a look at this again today, still cant do it, any chance of a pic of the hole location?
ukautosalvage
Sure will try and get one for you tomorrow.
Borka
Some one know how to remove the barrel from the boot badge?
langers
take the back of the boot cover off, if that makes sense, then just unclip the 2 metal prongs, will become apparent when you look at it, then using a 10mm deep socket and a rachet, remove the 2x 10mm nuts and out she will wiggle!
Borka
I want to pull out only the barrel out of the badge (the badge is off the car).
ukautosalvage
Hi Langers. Pictures as below you can see the screwdriver poking the hole you are trying to find!!!

Sorry about poor picture but was taken with phone. As for removing the boot lock this is done by putting the key in and half turning and should come out with a little pull not always easy normally need to hold the back of lock.

[attachment=8043:16032009568.jpg][attachment=8045:16032009571.jpg]
[attachment=8042:16032009567.jpg][attachment=8044:16032009569.jpg]
langers
Good stuff, cheers Jason
LuisMiguelC
QUOTE(ukautosalvage @ 13th March 2009 23:30) *
Don't forget to remove the transponder pickup ring around ignition lock, the yellow CODE box and of course the ECU.

Is this important or really necessary? I just want to change the switch...
Roker
Wouldn't it be easier to just swap the transponders? Or get a key cut but cloned to the other key?
LuisMiguelC
Hi!

No, because I have a whole new set of locks and keys and I only have one key for the ignition. New locks have already been fitted to the doors, but I still got to change the ignition switch.

I'm having trouble doing that. I'm pressing the pin, but it doesn't come out... Any help?
Roker
Did your new lockset come with a matching ECU and codebox?

The key that fits your new ignition switch; It contains a transponder that 'talks' to the ECU via the codebox. The three parts (transponder, codebox and ECU) are matched up and the car will not start without all of them being present. Your new key will not start the car if you have the old codebox and ECU present because the transponder in the key does not match the other two parts. Easiest way round this is to swap the transponder from the old key, or as I said; Get a new key cut but clone the transponder from the old key to the new key.
LuisMiguelC
No, it didn't come with neither the ECU or Codebox. But I think I can programme the new keys into the ECU, using the master key. I'm just tired of carring 2 different keys all the time, one for opening the doors, another one to start the car. If I could remove the ignition switch (I just can't figure out why I can't, I'm following all the steps), I could put in the new one and programme the new key and start the engine. Am I right?
LuisMiguelC
I removed the cowling, put the key in the switch, turned it to MAR, depressed the pin of the switch in the barrel with a little screwdriver (also tried an allen key), pushed the key and...nothing happens... it's doesn't go any further. I wiggled the key, I pushed hard, I pushed gently... It doesn't make a difference whether I press the pin or not... rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif
Roker
QUOTE(LuisMiguelC @ 30th October 2010 14:41) *
But I think I can programme the new keys into the ECU, using the master key.

Yes you can, by swapping the transponder from the old master key into the new master key..... whistle.gif

Check the very last page.

Any luck in removing the barrel yet?
LuisMiguelC
Hummm... I don't have the old master key... and I don't know if the last owner changed the transponders from the original master key to the new one... unsure.gif

No, no luck at all...

Let's suppose that the new master key hasn't the old transponder. Is it still possible to use the new key on the ignition? I.E. perform a virginization of the ECU?
LuisMiguelC
I just opened the only master key that I have and this is what I found:

NO TRANSPONDER INSIDE! rant.gif rant.gif

I'm screwed...
Roker
QUOTE(LuisMiguelC @ 30th October 2010 20:24) *
Let's suppose that the new master key hasn't the old transponder. Is it still possible to use the new key on the ignition? I.E. perform a virginization of the ECU?

No but you can still get round it. The codebox already has the transponders of the other keys memorised. Swap these transponders over and the codebox will think they are the old keys. You only need the master key transponder to allow the codebox to add or delete transponders. By swapping the transponders from the old keys into the new ones you will not need the master key.
That is why I suggested you could get new keys cut with the key pattern of the new lockset, but cloned to the old keys' transponders.

/edit: you have the newer style keys. Easier to just swap the transponders over. smile.gif
LuisMiguelC
The thing is the new master key doesn't have a transponder inside... I don't know why...

I think I'll create another topic, because this has largely gone away from the removal of ignition barrel issue... wink.gif

Just one thing... The master key should have a transponder in it, right? It shouldn't be empty like I showed, right?
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(LuisMiguelC @ 30th October 2010 20:56) *
The thing is the new master key doesn't have a transponder inside... I don't know why...

Just one thing... The master key should have a transponder in it, right? It shouldn't be empty like I showed, right?

First off, without the original Master Key you won't be able to reprogram anything against the CODE system. This is because the first time the original Master Key was used, the transponder code from it got stored in both the CODE Immobiliser ECU and the Engine ECU. Once the Master Key transponder code is stored inside the Engine ECU there is no way to delete it, not even if you get a new Master Key from an Alfa dealer with a new transponder in. You would need a new (virgin) Engine ECU as well.

To answer your other question, yes the Master Key should have a small rectangular transponder in (bottom left in your picture, near to the blade, clipped into where those two "prongs" are sticking up). The fact that it doesn't though is irrelevant because even if it did then the key wouldn't be able to be used for the reason I just mentioned above. You would still need the transponder from the original Master Key.

If you're prepared to send your CODE ECU to the UK then Tony at Datarecall Services has the equipment and know-how to read the Master Key transponder code from it and supply you with a new transponder chip that he's programmed with the same code (i.e. as if you had just taken the transponder chip from your original Master Key). You can then just put that transponder chip into your new empty Master Key which means you will then have a working Master Key and will be able to you to do any programming you want smile.gif
LuisMiguelC
Many thanks for your comprehensive post! Cleared all my doubts!

In fact, it does make sense that the new master key doesn't have a transponder inside it. I'm guessing it was meant to use with the transponder taken from the old master key. I just sent an e-mail to the former owner of my Junior to see if he still got the original master key. If he does, problem solved. If not, I will send the CODE ECU to the UK, if it's easy to remove.

Earlier today I wasn't capable of removing the ignition switch, even though it should have been easy...

Thank you! worshippy.gif
Roker
Or you could just swap the transponders from the other keys into the new ones..... then you don't need the master key. whistle.gif

GialloEvo94
QUOTE(Roker @ 31st October 2010 17:28) *
Or you could just swap the transponders from the other keys into the new ones..... then you don't need the master key. whistle.gif

From his picture above it looks like he has the old style red keys without a remote button on the side. Those old style red keys have sealed/moulded heads and can't be opened up like the new style red keys can. I guess they could be butchered open but assuming the new red keys he has are the same style then there is no way to put a different transponder chip into those without destroying the head.
LuisMiguelC
Exactly, that's the problem... These red keys can't be opened no3.gif

Still waiting for an answer from the first owner of my Junior... whistle.gif
Roker
Strange.. I noticed the master key is the newer shape but didn't notice the red key is the older shape. Still, all is not lost. As I said earlier; you could get some new keys cut but cloned to the older keys.
LuisMiguelC
QUOTE(Roker @ 31st October 2010 20:31) *
Strange.. I noticed the master key is the newer shape but didn't notice the red key is the older shape. Still, all is not lost. As I said earlier; you could get some new keys cut but cloned to the older keys.

That's a not a bad solution! So I could have red keys with a blade just like the new ones, but with the code from the old one, right?
Roker
That's the general idea. The transponders from the old keys are already memorised by the codebox so you won't need the master key.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.