Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Lower Wishbone Replacement Rubber Boot
Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum > Technical > FAQ
red 145
whilst removing the hub for a bearing change i noticed the rubber seal on the wishbone, where the wishbone attaches to the hub has split, as everything is still apart can this seal just be changed? surely i don't need a new wish bone?
AJ
You'll struggle to get one separately - I've been through this a few times. Take the old rubber to a good motor factors, and they should be able to match it up to a another one - IIRC they found a Fiesta steering arm with the same rubber, cost about 8. Still expensive for a rubber, but cheaper than a wishbone.
red 145
QUOTE(AJ @ 28th February 2009 09:11) *
You'll struggle to get one separately - I've been through this a few times. Take the old rubber to a good motor factors, and they should be able to match it up to a another one - IIRC they found a Fiesta steering arm with the same rubber, cost about 8. Still expensive for a rubber, but cheaper than a wishbone.

Fantastic cars are never easy are they rant.gif
langers
Maybe but you still love her!!!
red 145
yeah like a woman really rolleyes.gif , can live with em cant scrap em whistle.gif
Cloverleaf Phil
Hi Red.
I managed to damage the rubber that covers the balljoint on a new wishbone a while ago. I looked into goin into somewhere like wilco or somewhere similar but took the chance of going to "Alfa Shop" - its in Norwich and not far from me, they sell the correct replacement rubbers for about a quid each. You Could fone them up and get a couple posted to you. They are good guys there.

Hope this helps

Phil
red 145
QUOTE(Cloverleaf Phil @ 28th February 2009 14:43) *
Hi Red.
I managed to damage the rubber that covers the balljoint on a new wishbone a while ago. I looked into goin into somewhere like wilco or somewhere similar but took the chance of going to "Alfa Shop" - its in Norwich and not far from me, they sell the correct replacement rubbers for about a quid each. You Could fone them up and get a couple posted to you. They are good guys there.

Hope this helps

Phil

cheers will do doubt it'll arrive before i get it all back together again but could add it to my list of things to sort before MOT.
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(Cloverleaf Phil @ 28th February 2009 14:43) *

Thanks for posting up this information. I managed to do exactly the same as you due to being heavy handed but as I didn't think you could get separate rubbers I've just kept the ball joint seal well packed with grease to stop any moisture getting in and attacking the joint. This has worked well so far but a new seal would be the best solution. I've just pinged an email off to Alfa Shop to confirm availability.

Just to add, my car also passed the MOT no problem with the split rubber boot.
red 145
QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ 28th February 2009 17:28) *
Thanks for posting up this information. I managed to do exactly the same as you due to being heavy handed but as I didn't think you could get separate rubbers I've just kept the ball joint seal well packed with grease to stop any moisture getting in and attacking the joint. This has worked well so far but a new seal would be the best solution. I've just pinged an email off to Alfa Shop to confirm availability.

haven't got round to emailing them can you post if they have any cheers.
AJ
That's handy to know, thanks for sharing.
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(red 145 @ 28th February 2009 18:20) *
haven't got round to emailing them can you post if they have any cheers.

Will do.
Cloverleaf Phil
QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ 28th February 2009 17:28) *

It just so happened that when i popped into alfashop they had not long found the bag of balljoint boots as they had been mislayed. Quite a result that u can get just the boot.
Think it may be an idea to put a sticky somewhere so peops know u can get them and from where.
Good that your motor passed mot with it packed with grease.
Taking my motor for a drive to Basildon monday as i got an exam there 180 mile round trip- bit of an italian tune up i feel.
alanthealfa
QUOTE(Cloverleaf Phil @ 28th February 2009 22:20) *
It just so happened that when i popped into alfashop they had not long found the bag of balljoint boots as they had been mislayed. Quite a result that u can get just the boot.
Think it may be an idea to put a sticky somewhere so peops know u can get them and from where.
Good that your motor passed mot with it packed with grease.
Taking my motor for a drive to Basildon monday as i got an exam there 180 mile round trip- bit of an italian tune up i feel.

i got soem generic boots from a a place in poole,

i'll dig the name out when i get chance.

you'll need both diameters to order some.
think they were 50p each.
just need a bit of lockwire to hold em in place

i bought a couple of dozen as i alwyas have the hubs etc on and off.
GialloEvo94
OK, email received back from Alfa Shop and they do have some rubber boots in stock for the front wishbone ball joints. The price is £1.95 + VAT each (so £2.25 with VAT @ 15%), and delivery is £2.25 + VAT (so £2.59 with VAT @ 15%).

For anyone that wants to order any, ring 01603 426277 and ask to speak to Karl (I assume he's in the the parts department).
Cloverleaf Phil
QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ 6th March 2009 00:19) *
OK, email received back from Alfa Shop and they do have some rubber boots in stock for the front wishbone ball joints. The price is 1.95 + VAT each (so 2.25 with VAT @ 15%), and delivery is 2.25 + VAT (so 2.59 with VAT @ 15%).

For anyone that wants to order any, ring 01603 426277 and ask to speak to Karl (I assume he's in the the parts department).

Hi GE, had a little chuckle when you mentioned karl in the parts dept, theres only 4of them that work there and a young lad. Karl and phil are very helpful, i was in there quite a bit asking about 145s before i bought mine. They also do fiat stuff to along with servicing and such.
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(Cloverleaf Phil @ 6th March 2009 20:46) *
Hi GE, had a little chuckle when you mentioned karl in the parts dept, theres only 4of them that work there and a young lad. Karl and phil are very helpful, i was in there quite a bit asking about 145s before i bought mine. They also do fiat stuff to along with servicing and such.

I've been on a course all week but I will ring them on Monday and get some ordered. Thanks again for pointing us in the right direction smile.gif

Thread now moved to the FAQ's section for future reference and so it doesn't get lost.
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(Cloverleaf Phil @ 6th March 2009 20:46) *

I've been on a course all week but I will ring them on Monday and get some ordered. Thanks again for pointing us in the right direction smile.gif

Thread now moved to the FAQ's section for future reference and so it doesn't get lost.
JeremyG
Replacement balljoint boots can be purchased here:

https://www.balljointboots.co.uk/index.html - select Boot no. 4
dante giacosa
Worked a treat for me!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.