Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bonnet Stay Modification
Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum > Technical > FAQ
Hodges33
My bonnet stay has recently come away from the mounting point, therefore needing to get a new 1. I was just woundering whether how difficult and how useful would hydrolic lifters (like the supports on the tailgate) would be to fit on either side of the bonnet and engine bay. I spend enough time (and im sure alot of other people do) under the bonnet i thought it could be useful. I just noticed it on my merc and it doesnt look like rocket science to do.

Let me know on your thoughts or if anyone else has done ie or thought about it.
Jim145
I've got them on both the 156 and 147. They do make life easier, I often thought about fitting some to the 145, can't be hard to do.
Cloverleaf Phil
QUOTE(Jim145 @ 14th January 2009 19:23) *
I've got them on both the 156 and 147. They do make life easier, I often thought about fitting some to the 145, can't be hard to do.

Can you buy kits from somewhere??
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(Cloverleaf Phil @ 14th January 2009 23:30) *
Can you buy kits from somewhere??

Not specifically for a 145 but if you can work out the best places to mount the ball joints and the length of struts needed you can buy all the parts you need from somewhere like this...

http://www.strutsdirect.co.uk
purple
just get the bits off a scrap 156....
Cloverleaf Phil
QUOTE(purple @ 15th January 2009 20:29) *
just get the bits off a scrap 156....

How woud you go about finding the ideal positions to fix them to the car, so that they would hold the bonnet open but then alow it to shut?
Alfa146Ti
QUOTE(Cloverleaf Phil @ 16th January 2009 10:11) *
How woud you go about finding the ideal positions to fix them to the car, so that they would hold the bonnet open but then alow it to shut?

Trial and error I would think! Can't be too hard to look at how much space there is and the angles involved etc!
930Tech
how about measuring the mounting points from the 156 you take em off ?
GialloEvo94
I just pilfered this picture from AO of the 146 V6 conversion. It has gas struts fitted to the bonnet and you can clearly see the mounting points that have been used on both the bonnet and the inner wings...

[attachment=7982:Alfa146V6.jpg]

The struts themselves are standard bonnet struts from an Alfa 156. They bolt to the front hinge location hole and an existing hole on the inner wing.
Will9999
right guys, im gonna try this.

have just bought 2 156 bonnet struts from fleabay.

when they are fitted il let ya know how it goes.

[attachment=8213:zzz.jpg]
rasputin22
I'm interested in this, please keep us updated.

Going to scrapyard tomorrow so will see if i can rob some parts and get some measurements.
Will9999
right, struts have arrived.

making a quick trip to the local scrappy cos i know they have a 156 there, need the balls that the struts fit to.

will only be a few quid.

did all 156s have bonnet struts??

[attachment=8255:zzz.jpg]
Darbs666
Hi mate

How did you get on with this?

I just lifted my bonnet stay up and it was corroded at the pivot so its just ripped straight off so thinking of doing the same thing
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(Darbs666 @ 3rd July 2009 11:07) *
How did you get on with this?

They're all fitted. Will posted the results here...

http://forum.alfa145.com/index.php?showtopic=14723
Darbs666
Cheers G
langers
Bringing this old one back.

Embarrasingly the bonnet stay bung has came out last night whilst showing a friend my plans.

Do you have a detailed picture or could you take one of the mounting points for the struts?
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(langers @ 24th July 2009 08:44) *
Do you have a detailed picture or could you take one of the mounting points for the struts?

The struts just mount to the existing hinge mounting points on the bonnet and to an existing bolt point on the inner wing. If you click on the picture in post #9 of this thread to see a full sized view, you will see exactly which points the struts bolt to wink.gif
langers
I didnt realise it went that big (OOOOOOOOoooooo) Cheers GE.

Would i have to get struts from another bonnet like the 156? Or could i find some BOOT struts? Is there different pressures to cope with the weight?
JasonHillAO
Additional -

Use 156 bonnet struts
156 ball joints and 8mm nuts to clamp them to the hole above the header tank and symmetrical hole on the other side.
Thinner part of the strut at the bottom black thicker part att to the bonnet.
164 bonnet strut ball joints screw straight into the hinge bolt holes without the need to retap bigger holes.
And bish bash bosh smile.gif
I've done it to my last 3 145's
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(JasonHillAO @ 20th March 2012 00:58) *
Additional -

Use 156 bonnet struts
156 ball joints and 8mm nuts to clamp them to the hole above the header tank and symmetrical hole on the other side.
Thinner part of the strut at the bottom black thicker part att to the bonnet.
164 bonnet strut ball joints screw straight into the hinge bolt holes without the need to retap bigger holes.
And bish bash bosh smile.gif
I've done it to my last 3 145's

I always meant to do this to mine so I'm interested in these. Not really sure what they're worth though so please PM me with what price you are after and we'll see if we can do a deal. Cheers smile.gif
rhythm_101
bringing this thread back from the dead abit, i've got muy 156 struts and ball joints, i'm supossing i have to drill and tap the existing holes, but the bolt that holds the wing on seems to have a nut behind! is tis correct, ididn't want to completely take it off incase i could get it back on again! i tried fitting my hand behind but it was too big! rant.gif to anyone who has done this before can you shed some light on the subject?
NaanBread
you shouldnt have to take the wing bolt off really...I havent done on mine.

The wing bolts tend to corrode and get stuck in the plastic behind!! They are not bolted, its all plastic. What you have to do is stick some long nosed pliers or flathead screw driver behind the head of the bolt so it brings the bolt out of the hole and makes the plastic behind get stuck, you then turn the bolt nice and slow keeping it really tight. Or if its loosened off a bit you may be able to get an angle grinder in.
rhythm_101
ok, the bolt is not corroded at all, it came loose quite easily, i was only worried because it was loose and wiggiling aroung but still tight to undo, which made me suspect that there was some king of bolt holding it ino place. So once this plastic clip is out i will have to replace it with a bolt, or can i just tap a thread into the metal?

cheers for the fast reply!
NaanBread
glue it back in place would be easiest if you want it to look pretty. There really isnt a need to put it back lol
black 146
QUOTE(rhythm_101 @ 3rd June 2013 10:25) *
ok, the bolt is not corroded at all, it came loose quite easily, i was only worried because it was loose and wiggiling aroung but still tight to undo, which made me suspect that there was some king of bolt holding it ino place. So once this plastic clip is out i will have to replace it with a bolt, or can i just tap a thread into the metal?

cheers for the fast reply!

[attachment=14549:P5192191.JPG]
this is where i put mine with some help who did these
[attachment=14550:P5192192.JPG]
rhythm_101
aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh, i thought that you fitted it to the hole where the bolt goes!!! i understand now!! hahah ill get it done next weekend!
black 146
QUOTE(rhythm_101 @ 3rd June 2013 11:52) *
aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh, i thought that you fitted it to the hole where the bolt goes!!! i understand now!! hahah ill get it done next weekend!

cool. no problem smile.gif
get some pics up its always good to see what you have done whistle.gif
rhythm_101
boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!, ive just tried doing this mod and its becoming a pain in the a**e, i've drilled and tapped the bonnet and screwed in the gas strut, but the ball joint sticks out too far, so when you close the bonnet it hits the inner wing and it doesn't close properly!, rant.gif i'm goin to have a buthchers on eabay to see if i can find some shorter ball joints! no3.gif
black 146
QUOTE(rhythm_101 @ 22nd June 2013 15:53) *
boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!, ive just tried doing this mod and its becoming a pain in the a**e, i've drilled and tapped the bonnet and screwed in the gas strut, but the ball joint sticks out too far, so when you close the bonnet it hits the inner wing and it doesn't close properly!, rant.gif i'm goin to have a buthchers on eabay to see if i can find some shorter ball joints! no3.gif

where or what did you get them! off .i used the ones off a vauxhall corsa . you need to use the ones from a tailgate not the bonnet
rhythm_101
alfa 156, i think they were the bonnet struts!, i'm sure i read on here that the 156 bonnet sruts went straight on!, i'll have to find something else or change thee ball joints..
black 146
[quote name='rhythm_101' post='205302' date='22nd June 2013 18:09']alfa 156, i think they were the bonnet struts!, i'm sure i read on here that the 156 bonnet sruts went straight on!, i'll have to find something else or change thee ball joints..[/

YEP sorry blush.gif its been so long all i would do is just change the ball joints
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.