Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Sump Removal
Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum > Technical > FAQ
rhyds
It looks like i've managed to crack the sump on the TS. Is removal simply a case of jack it up, take off the Ribe bolts and then split the layer of sealant and remove? Knowing my luck it won't be...
langers
OOOOOoooooo think thats it buddy, want to buy a spare?
boyle
QUOTE(langers @ 11th January 2009 20:34) *
OOOOOoooooo think thats it buddy, want to buy a spare?

im getting my sump replaced tomorow by western alfa under scottish waters insurance as i hit a big pot hole, could always go with finding a pothole lol
rhyds
Mine was a rock in the road. It might have come from the side of the bridge but I can't prove it sad.gif
langers
Unlucky guys.

Will the 2.0 sump fit the 1.8? Im thinking so?
langers
O yea, just had a quick look, it appears that all TS engine sumps fit each other.
astro
aye, jack it up - drop front of exhaust - swear at losing the ribe end of the socket extension where you have to swear at it alot to get it back ( rear of sump and have to twist hand 460 degrees to get on top of that silly bit that sticks out). remove exhaust hanger from same place ( at least i did as the rubber was/is shot on mine) - then swear some more at the oil pickup due to it not wanting to let go of the baffle plate inside the sump so i loosened it a bit to tease the baffle plate over it) - then refit and swear even more cos you have to take it apart cos you may have left the oil pick up loose but cant remember so split again to check. .. easy job as long as i dont do it biggrin.gif

not to mention snapping 2 of the bolts on the downpipe of the exhuast and had to redrill for a replacement bolt/nut affair.
rhyds
Sounds like i'm in for a right laugh biggrin.gif

Also, what sealant is the best stuff to use to seal it all up? I would thing it was some kind of RTV but does anyone know what the right stuff is?
astro
i used hermatite .. seems to have held it back so far

i would say (stealing from somebody else's input on this forum) before adding new sump. grind off/ remove, the 4 studs for the bracket thing and gain yourself 2 inchs of sump height
rhyds
Quick couple of questions:

1: Do I *have* to have a RIBE key/socket to take the bolts off or will a suitably sized torx bit do?

2: Does the downpipe have a gasket and should I replace it?
astro
1. its preferable.
2 it does and i didnt .

but that doesnt mean im right so no quoting or sueing plz im poor wink.gif
rhyds
Well I got the RIBE set but i've lost oil pressure due to a suspected misplaced pickup gasket.
rhyds
Update: It was the oil pickup gasket. A new one has fully restored my oil pressure biggrin.gif
Jim145
QUOTE(rhyds @ 25th January 2009 15:12) *
Update: It was the oil pickup gasket. A new one has fully restored my oil pressure biggrin.gif

Excellent, glad you've got it sorted thumbsup.gif
boyle
QUOTE(Jim145 @ 25th January 2009 17:37) *
Excellent, glad you've got it sorted thumbsup.gif

well arnt i a clever boy, gets a brand new, shiney sump on, and BANG! f**ked it again, so many swear words id use, got a new one coming on friday so should be a good crack at the weekend sad.gif
langers
What you playing at man!!!

Do you keep going down the same road then or something like that?
Jim145
QUOTE(boyle @ 4th February 2009 17:57) *
well arnt i a clever boy, gets a brand new, shiney sump on, and BANG! f**ked it again, so many swear words id use, got a new one coming on friday so should be a good crack at the weekend sad.gif

Brilliant, you must be fuming! rolleyes.gif
930Tech
have another gasket ready fingcross.gif
boyle
QUOTE(E500 TAT @ 4th February 2009 19:07) *
have another gasket ready fingcross.gif

Nah, just took out a nice bouldar this time, im lucky that way tongue.gif

as for the gasket, will i need a new one for a sump thats only been on the motor a week?

is it a paper gasket, or rubber / cork?
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(boyle @ 5th February 2009 13:27) *
as for the gasket, will i need a new one for a sump thats only been on the motor a week?

is it a paper gasket, or rubber / cork?

There is no physical gasket for the sump. You need to use liquid gasket.
astro
and maybe stop adding phrases such as " ill have another crack at it " wink.gif .

sorry for my humour level but sometimes you gotta laugh or you'll go mad. hope you get it sorted soon fella
Smaky
I think he means the pick up gasket, and you can normally get away with reusing it as it's a meta seal type, at least your bolts will be easirer this time.

coolio.gif
930Tech
just wanted to say thanks for this thread.

i cracked my sump a while back, just a small seepage meant no real hurry to replace so i got all parts ordered up ready for a weekend job.

oil pick up pipe gasket (about 3), sealant, oil filter and sump washer, exhaust paste and a T40 long screw driver type thing (5 halfords)

painted up a spare sump i had and cleaned up the inside

took everything apart and managed to get the sump off without disturbing the pick up pipe, dont know how i did that as the time i took the spare sump off an engine (about 18 months ago) it was a right pig of a job.

the hardest part was getting the nut back on the bolt that goes through the drive shaft bearing/holder thing, must have been at that 30 minutes, got cramp in my fingers.

all back up and running inside two hours and sweet as a nut again.

the T40 screwdriver thing was for the smaller ribe bolts on either end, the ones next to the gearbox are hard to get to thumbsup.gif
930Tech
Forgot to say, i've taken off the brace/exhaust guard thing as this is what caused the crack, it has touched the floor several times and the crack in my sump was around one of the bolt holes for this.

it had worn a bit thin and when i unbolted it it was in two pieces rant.gif
langers
Iv un-dun all the visable ribe head bolts around the sump and the 2 bolts that go sideways in to the gearbox housing, it still wont budge!!!
930Tech
if you've taken out 10 big bolts, 5 at front, 5 at back and two small ons from either end then it'll be the sealant holding it on

unless you've not removed the long bolt from were the driveshaft centre bearing/holder bolts through.

if it is only sealant, what i did was use my pry bar on on of the locating tabs (on front) and slowly prise it down, i put a flat bladed screw driver in as i did it (but dont use this to prise it down wacko.gif wacko.gif ) as i put the pry bar further in.
930Tech
i s**t myself this morning on my way to work, thought i'd smashed the sump again.

a t**t in a civic type R coming the other way was doing about 70mph (40 limit) and lost control coming out of the corner, hit a telegraph pole, spun around, took out a wall and the car started to disintegrate, it was about two foot in the air spinning like a top.

i started to slow down then BANG and a dragging sound, i pulled over but was thinking "if that's broke my new sump i'll kill him"

i went over and they both got out of the car, a little dazed looking, rung for an ambulance and when the police turned up went over to my car, i'd hit his battery and a plastic trim and some rubber hose.

Sump's ok though laugh.gif

police later told me he'd blown 94 on the breathalyser, friggin moron
Cloverleaf76
Bet that woke you up in a hurry; lucky he only hit you with debris blink.gif
rhyds
Bloody hell, that mentalist is lucky to be alive! Good to hear that you and the bella were ok mind.
xyy81t
Okay what's the secret for this? I've got all the bolts out but it won't budge, I've already broken one of the tabs on the front. Grrrr
NaanBread
youve got the 2 M7 ribe bolts out from the side of the gearbox/flywheel havent you? Otherwise its just glue after that, try and get a screw driver in the gap slowly.
xyy81t
QUOTE(NaanBread @ 7th July 2013 13:19) *
youve got the 2 M7 ribe bolts out from the side of the gearbox/flywheel havent you? Otherwise its just glue after that, try and get a screw driver in the gap slowly.

yeah they're all out, got it to move a bit but too much force for my liking, plus i was dripping it was so hot so i put it away and went for a cool bath!
romesolution
QUOTE(xyy81t @ 7th July 2013 14:51) *
yeah they're all out, got it to move a bit but too much force for my liking, plus i was dripping it was so hot so i put it away and went for a cool bath!

Mmmm coool bath! I was sweating like a meth head today! Black car, black Tarmac, black snickers! Not the nicest day to be fekking about with cars! On my third beer and watching the British cheer for a Scotsman for once! Nice to see actually!
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(xyy81t @ 7th July 2013 14:51) *

Let me know how you get on. I've got to get mine off next weekend and was hoping a copper lump hammer would do the job. Maybe it won't.

If you use a screwdriver be careful not to gouge the mating faces although I guess smooth faces aren't as critical when liquid gasket/sealer is used.
black 146
QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ 8th July 2013 09:13) *
Let me know how you get on. I've got to get mine off next weekend and was hoping a copper lump hammer would do the job. Maybe it won't.

If you use a screwdriver be careful not to gouge the mating faces although I guess smooth faces aren't as critical when liquid gasket/sealer is used.

I always keep a wood chisel and a large craft knife in my tool bag that you can pull the blade out and run it around the inside of things like that
but that gasket sealant is a pain in the BUM no3.gif
Ganz
Sounds like a nightmare. I'm having to do this job as the little plastic seal around the oil dipstick broke up and I suspect some remains are in the sump. Also, I had to twist the dipstick holder to get it loose. There were score marks on the holder and I guess some metal shavings in the sump.

Glad I read this post though. Those two Ribes next to gearbox look a nightmare. I'll take the four studs out as that sounds a great idea.
Ganz
I noticed in this 4C YouTube video that they use a black silicon sealant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faFo40izlhk
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(Ganz @ 6th April 2016 23:09) *
I noticed in this 4C YouTube video that they use a black silicon sealant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faFo40izlhk

Yes it's the same on the TS engine. There is no sump gasket. You need to properly/carefully clean off all the old sealant from the mating faces and then use new liquid gasket sealant when you re-assemble.
IgoRR
When you clean the sump, be sure to clean the block, not to be greasy. Than apply the the silicone sealant and don't turn on the engine for at least one day. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.