Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater Only Working On Fan Switch Position 4
Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum > Technical > FAQ
langers
Hello all,

Im new to the alfa scene, used to my Fords.

Basically, the heaters only work on setting 4....anything else and they're off. HELP! What do i need to change, where can i find it and how do i get to it etc?

Cheers, Langers
Hybrd
there is a resistor pack in the passenger footwell. it controls 1-3 and 4 bypasses and has full power. its knackered.
langers
ooo straight to the point. Where abouts can i find this resistor pack in the passenger foot well? and i take it that its a case of plug and play.
returner
you will find a round box behind the glove box, to the right of it right up against the bulk head is the resistor pack, it has 1 plug in it {3 pins as a remember but might be 4} it is held in place with 2 self tapppers they can be difficult to get to with a screw driver {use a 1.4" ratchet with extention and uj and a phillps drive
Hybrd
QUOTE(langers @ 20th April 2008 19:34) *
ooo straight to the point. Where abouts can i find this resistor pack in the passenger foot well? and i take it that its a case of plug and play.

ha ha ha ha no such luck!!!!! its right at the bottom behind the glove box right pig to get at and undoing the retaining screws is a right job!! it has a multi plug on it and is around 4 inchs wide you should be able to see it.
automan
this type of malfunction can be repaired on resistor box.there is termo fuse,which is blown in such case.check its value,buy new one(electronic store) and solder it in place of old.
langers
Iv already got another resistor pack thingy from my mates alfa. Just got to get the dam thing out!

Any other tips to get to it?
Greigjolly
doing the same thing myself - taken the ash tray/clock lump out, the panel with all the heater controls on, the top panel with the vents on - can see the resistor sat behind the heater control panel, can touch it but cant get at it properley to remove the wires to it or the two screfs that hold it in...aggghghgh!!!
Greigjolly
behind the glove box??? eh? mines behind the heater control panel.....???
Greigjolly
its a grey box, roughly four inches long, big plug on one end, smaller one on the other...will post pics...
Greigjolly
am i dealing with the 'heater control resistor' not the 'heater fan resistor' ?????????

very confused...
Greigjolly
i hate cars. im buying a bicycle...
Greigjolly
right. so, ive taken all the dash off as described in the FAQ guide. Ive swapped over the resistor that ive got (which ive come to the conclusion is the 'heater control resistor' and the problem of the fan only working on position 4 not 1 2 or 3 is unchanged. So i guess its the other resistor (the one behind the fan) that i need to swap. where from/how much?

its been a loooong day...
Greigjolly
anyone got one for sale...
Hybrd
QUOTE(langers @ 20th April 2008 21:21) *
Iv already got another resistor pack thingy from my mates alfa. Just got to get the dam thing out!

Any other tips to get to it?

as returner said... screw drived bit in a socket on a uni joint on an extention bar on a ratchet...... all in 3/8
Greigjolly
thats what i did! literlaly just taken it out. odd green looking thing. just wondering actually, what is it that 'breaks' on these? think it would be possible to just replace the thermistor on the side???

Greig
Hybrd
QUOTE(Greigjolly @ 21st April 2008 19:46) *
thats what i did! literlaly just taken it out. odd green looking thing. just wondering actually, what is it that 'breaks' on these? think it would be possible to just replace the thermistor on the side???

Greig

replyed in your thred. welcome to the forum bte.... whistle.gif
Greigjolly
yeah just seen...cheers lol yeah i lost 1-3 all at once - will see if i can replace it.

thanks for the welcome, been on here a year though since I bought my 145...

whistle.gif
Greigjolly
so have you sucessfully done this before then?
Greigjolly
ok so ive got hold of the correct thermo-fuse (the silver bit on the side) wasnt easy to get hold of. I am planning on replacing it thisafternoon - apparently though soldering it isnt a good idea as its whole purpose in life is to be sensitive to heat, so I plan to solder two crimps onto the resistor unit the crimp the thermo-fuse to that... fingers crossed...
automan
be free to solder it.no harm done 100%
Hybrd
QUOTE(Greigjolly @ 21st April 2008 19:55) *
yeah just seen...cheers lol yeah i lost 1-3 all at once - will see if i can replace it.

thanks for the welcome, been on here a year though since I bought my 145...

whistle.gif

sorry crossed wires.........
and yeah had two go in three weeks.
Greigjolly
put it back in, all seems fine! hopefully thats the end of it...now to put the dash back together...
Hybrd
QUOTE(Greigjolly @ 22nd April 2008 18:03) *
put it back in, all seems fine! hopefully thats the end of it...now to put the dash back together...

dash????? did the first one without removing a thing....... second one i did during the dash swop anyway.
Greigjolly
haha! if you read back in the thread youll see that at first i swapped out the heater control pack that sits behind the centre console and then the green resistor thats next to the fan...so yeah most of the dash got taken out!

when it (inevitably) goes again then youre more than welcome to come down and do it for me bla3d00r!
Alfa1947
QUOTE(Greigjolly @ 21st April 2008 17:40) *
right. so, ive taken all the dash off as described in the FAQ guide. Ive swapped over the resistor that ive got (which ive come to the conclusion is the 'heater control resistor' and the problem of the fan only working on position 4 not 1 2 or 3 is unchanged. So i guess its the other resistor (the one behind the fan) that i need to swap. where from/how much?

its been a loooong day...

Where did you found the FAQ guide regarding "the dash off"?

oo=V=oo
GialloEvo94
QUOTE(Alfa1947 @ 13th August 2008 20:07) *
Where did you found the FAQ guide regarding "the dash off"?

See the following post...

http://forum.alfa145.com/index.php?showtopic=11263
madbull
QUOTE(Greigjolly @ 21st April 2008 14:18) *
its a grey box, roughly four inches long, big plug on one end, smaller one on the other...will post pics...

any pics ???
Greigjolly
Not from a thread that was 4 years ago, no sorry. Its not a complicated fix in the end though - if you read back through my old posts you should be able to work it out.

Ahh, I miss my 145...
madbull
ok thanks for the answer ... i will try it....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.