IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alarm / Central Locking: Programming Remote Controls Into The Remote Receiver, For both Infrared (IR) and Radio Frequency (RF) systems
GialloEvo94
post 30th April 2012 11:07
Post #1 | Print

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Local Time: 17th October 2017 08:52
Member No.: 954
Driving: Alfa 145 QV, Lancia Delta Integrale Evo, SEAT Leon Mk2 FR+ TDI DSG

Instructions for remote programming can be found in the workshop manuals, however I've found these aren't always easy to find quickly or aren't easy to understand for a first-timer so I knocked up some easier to follow and more intuitive step-by-step instructions a while back which I've been emailing to members who've needed them.

I thought it would now be a good idea just to post these in the public domain so they can easily be found by a forum or Google search.

Overview
When a brand new remote receiver is installed (i.e. at the factory or a replacement receiver purchased and installed), new or existing remote controls can be programmed/reprogrammed into it without the need to unlock the remote receiver first. However, after the car has been remotely locked/unlocked a total of 256 times, the receiver will then automatically lock itself. Once this has occurred, the only way to then program/reprogram in any new or existing remote controls is to unlock the remote receiver first using the 4-digit code for one of the remote controls that has already been programmed into it.

The remote receiver unit is installed in the roof next to the rear view mirror...

Infrared (IR) receiver used on early cars
Attached File  RemoteReceiver_IR.jpg ( 8.66k ) Number of downloads: 754

Radio Frequency (RF) receiver used on later cars
Attached File  RemoteReceiver_RF.jpg ( 31.71k ) Number of downloads: 460

The 4-digit code for each remote control was originally supplied as a white sticker on a tag attached to the remote control when it was new and the code is shown as 4 digits separated by dots...

Infrared (IR) remote fob used on early cars
Attached File  RemoteControlFob_IR.jpg ( 27.86k ) Number of downloads: 306

Radio Frequency (RF) remote key used on later cars
Attached File  RemoteControlKey_RF.jpg ( 14.58k ) Number of downloads: 349

Remote 4-digit Codes (or 6-part codes on some Fiat cars)
In some cases, the original owner of the car may have have been sensible enough to put the 4-digit code stickers somewhere in the service manual or the owner's handbook. Unfortunately though, in a lot of cases it seems that the original owner kept the codes somewhere safe and then never passed them onto the new owner of the car. Alfa do not keep a record of the 4-digit codes, however I can get the required codes for you and/or reset your remote receiver back to a factory state so that remotes can initially be programmed in without needing to use any codes. I am able to do this for the Alfa 145, 146, 155, 164 & 916 Spider/GTV remote systems (both radio frequency and infrared systems). I have also been able to do it for some Fiats and Lancias of the same era (see my YouTube videos HERE and HERE). If you need this done then please either send me a private message or add a reply to this thread. Please note that I unfortunately cannot do anything for the Alfa 156 and 166 as these use a completely different type of remote system.

Programming Procedure
The two sections below give step-by-step instructions on how to program remotes into locked and unlocked remote receivers. These instructions apply to the Alfa 145/146 as well as the 155, 164, 916 Spider/GTV and a number of other Alfa / Fiat / Lancia cars that also come from the same 1995-2001 era.

1. Protected Programming: Unlocking a LOCKED Remote Receiver for programming
In order to unlock a remote receiver, you will need one of the 4-digit codes for a remote control that has already previously been programmed into the remote receiver. Without one, you will not be able to unlock the remote receiver for programming/reprogramming in new or existing remote controls.

Once you have one of the 4-digit codes, simply follow the steps below:-
  1. Press and hold in the pen tip button on the remote receiver during which the LED on it will start flashing on and off.

2. Release the pen tip button and then wait for the LED on the remote receiver to illuminate once and then extinguish again before continuing.

3. Now immediately press and release the pen tip button the number of times that corresponds to the first number of the 4-digit remote control code. Each time the pen tip button is pressed, ensure that the LED on the remote receiver lights up which confirms that it has registered the button press. If the number is zero then don't press the button at all and just go onto the next step.

4. Wait for the LED on the remote receiver to illuminate once and then extinguish again before continuing.

5. Now immediately press and release the pen tip button the number of times that corresponds to the second number of the 4-digit remote control code. As before, ensure that the LED on the remote receiver lights up each time the button is pressed which confirms that it has registered the button press. If the number is zero then don't press the button at all and just go onto the next step.

6. Wait for the LED on the remote receiver to illuminate once and then extinguish again before continuing.

7. Now immediately press and release the pen tip button the number of times that corresponds to the third number of the 4-digit remote control code. As before, ensure that the LED on the remote receiver lights up each time the button is pressed which confirms that it has registered the button press. If the number is zero then don't press the button at all and just go onto the next step.

8. Wait for the LED on the remote receiver to illuminate once and then extinguish again before continuing.

9. Now immediately press and release the pen tip button the number of times that corresponds to the fourth number of the 4-digit remote control code. As before, ensure that the LED on the remote receiver lights up each time the button is pressed which confirms that it has registered the button press. If the number is zero then don't press the button at all and just go onto the next step.

10. Now that all four digits of the code have been entered, one of the following two things will happen:-
    • VALID CODE ENTERED -> The LED on the remote receiver will start flashing to indicate that a valid 4-digit code has been entered and that the remote receiver has now been temporarily unlocked to allow a remote control to be programmed into it. While the LED is still flashing (if left to flash, it will flash 18 times and then stop), immediately begin the key programming procedure by following the instructions for "Programming Remote Controls into an UNLOCKED Remote Receiver". If the LED stops flashing before the key programming procedure is initiated (i.e. it has been left to flash all 18 times), the "Unlocking a LOCKED Remote Receiver" procedure (this procedure) must be started from the beginning again.
    • INVALID CODE ENTERED -> The LED on the remote receiver will illuminate once for a period of a ~10 seconds to indicate that an invalid 4-digit code has been entered. If this happens then the remote receiver will remain locked and programming will need to be restarted from step 1 again using a 4-digit code which is valid and already known to the remote receiver.

2. Simplified Programming: Programming Remote Controls into an UNLOCKED Remote Receiver
If your remote receiver is already in an unlocked state or you have just unlocked it using the instructions in section 1 above, simply follow the steps below to program a new remote into the receiver:-
  1. Press and hold in the pen tip button on the remote receiver so that the LED on it flashes on and off.

2. With the pen tip button still held in (do not let go of it in step 1) and the LED still flashing, briefly press the button on the remote control so that the LED on the remote comes on (for the infrared remote systems, make sure the remote control is held at least 20cm away from the remote receiver when doing this).

3. If the code transmitted by the remote control was successfully registered and stored by the remote receiver then the LED on the remote receiver will stop flashing and briefly switch to being constantly illuminated. If the LED does not stop flashing or switch to being constantly illuminated then the programming of the remote control has failed and the programming procedure will need to be restarted from the beginning again.

4. Now release the pen tip button on the remote receiver to complete the programming.

5. Wait 30 seconds before doing anything else. During this period the receiver will re-pair itself with the alarm unit. On some systems the LED on the receiver will flash 6 times, and on other systems you may hear a faint chirp from the alarm unit.
If the remote receiver was previously locked then it will now automatically lock itself again so if another remote control needs to be programmed in (or programming failed and another attempt needs to be made to program in a remote control), the instructions for "Unlocking a LOCKED Remote Receiver" will need to be followed again from the beginning.

If the remote control was successfully programmed into the remote receiver, pressing the button on the remote control will now cause the LED on the remote receiver to light up briefly during which the central locking will also be locked (or unlocked) and the alarm armed (or disarmed).

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
simon88wilson
post 30th April 2012 15:28
Post #2 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 17th October 2017 07:52
Member No.: 4,979
Driving: 145 1.8

Just did this on my car! Works like a charm, I struggled a bit with not being able to see the green LED due to the sun! but got there in the only end only took a few minutes.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Mauricio ARTC89
post 14th December 2012 00:31
Post #3 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Local Time: 17th October 2017 04:52
Member No.: 6,961
Driving: Alfa Romeo 155 2.0 16V T.S. 1996

Hi Giallo !

My 96' Alfa 155, uses this alarm with IR remote control, but I do not have the 4-digit... mad.gif
I read your topic about this and would like to know the step by step to program, for the remotes that I bought used.
Could you help me?
Any tips or information will be of great help worshippy.gif

Thanks.
Cheers from Rio de Janeiro.
Moe. coolio.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 15th December 2012 00:40
Post #4 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(Mauricio ARTC89 @ 14th December 2012 00:31) *
My 96' Alfa 155, uses this alarm with IR remote control, but I do not have the 4-digit... mad.gif
I read your topic about this and would like to know the step by step to program, for the remotes that I bought used.
Could you help me?
Any tips or information will be of great help worshippy.gif

If you don't have any of the original 4-digit codes then the only option is to either virginise your receiver back to a "new from factory" state or decode the codes already stored in the receiver. I can do this but it would involve sending your receiver unit to me in the UK.

This will definitely get your remote locking working again but whether or not your alarm system will also start working again will be dependant on your alarm siren unit not being faulty, the alarm unit already being in a disarmed state, and the alarm unit having power to it (and switched on at the keyswitch in the glovebox).

I've done a few 155 IR systems. Two ended up fully working (both central locking and alarm) and another ended up with just the central locking working (the alarm unit was faulty).

If you want me to fix your system, send me a PM and we can sort out the details smile.gif

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Mauricio ARTC89
post 15th December 2012 18:14
Post #5 | Print

1.3 8v

Local Time: 17th October 2017 04:52
Member No.: 6,961
Driving: Alfa Romeo 155 2.0 16V T.S. 1996

QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ 14th December 2012 21:40) *
If you don't have any of the original 4-digit codes then the only option is to either virginise your receiver back to a "new from factory" state or decode the codes already stored in the receiver. I can do this but it would involve sending your receiver unit to me in the UK.

This will definitely get your remote locking working again but whether or not your alarm system will also start working again will be dependant on your alarm siren unit not being faulty, the alarm unit already being in a disarmed state, and the alarm unit having power to it (and switched on at the keyswitch in the glovebox).

I've done a few 155 IR systems. Two ended up fully working (both central locking and alarm) and another ended up with just the central locking working (the alarm unit was faulty).

If you want me to fix your system, send me a PM and we can sort out the details smile.gif

Giallo,

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'll accept your help and I will send the receiver in January 2013.
Only the receiver enough? You do not need the remotes (black plastic cubes)?

Please send to me your full address in UK. (PM or by e-mail)

Thank you for your attention and help. worshippy.gif
Kind regards,

Moe. coolio.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Mitchok
post 2nd January 2013 22:57
Post #6 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 10,776
Driving: Alfa 156-2.4JTD/ GTV 2.0 TS

Hi

I have a gtv that has a single button IR remote. Do you know if it is the same one? The GTV is a 1996 model?

If so, can you send me details of what I need to do to get the unit reset to virgin status?

Thanks
Darren
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
145man
post 6th June 2013 15:34
Post #7 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 7,459
Driving: 145QV & Alfasud TiQV

Hi
I tried to revive an old thread then noticed this!!!
Can you help me as my car has developed this problem in past two weeks
Many thanks
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Not An Alfaman
post 5th March 2014 15:15
Post #8 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 11,549
Driving: Fiat Coupe

Could you please PM me about the details of your service - I have a replacement IR receiver unit (my original has been declared faulty) and need the memory erasing etc. so I can input my fob code.

One slightly strange thing is that having purchased a new genuine Fiat fob a couple of years ago I was able to code the receiver - I assume this is a freak as your instructions say it locks out after 250 opens?

Thanking you in anticipation
Dave
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 5th March 2014 21:31
Post #9 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(Not An Alfaman @ 5th March 2014 15:15) *
I have a replacement IR receiver unit (my original has been declared faulty) and need the memory erasing etc. so I can input my fob code.

One slightly strange thing is that having purchased a new genuine Fiat fob a couple of years ago I was able to code the receiver - I assume this is a freak as your instructions say it locks out after 250 opens?

I've not specifically dealt with a Fiat Coupe remote receiver unit before but looking through the manuals it appears that it's very likely to use the same underlying hardware as the Alfa infrared remote receiver systems so I'm fairly confident I will be able to do something to get your system working again if required. I've sorted out quite a few systems over the years and the most recent one was from a 1993 Fiat Tipo which turned out to be one of the more challenging ones but I got there in the end smile.gif

The "lock-out" after 256 operations is when the receiver goes into "protected programming" mode. Once in this mode, in order to program any further remotes you must first enter the 4-digit code of an already programmed remote before you can program in a new remote. Prior to the 256 operation limit being reached, new remotes can be programmed in using "simplified programming" without the need to enter a code first. On this basis I assume you had to unlock the receiver with a 4-digit code before you could program in your new remote.

A couple of initial questions to kick off with:-
  1. Do you know for sure that your original receiver is definitely dead? If you press and hold the pen-tip button on the bottom of it, does the LED start flashing on and off?
  2. Does the red LED on the remote light up when you press the button on it?
  3. Have you tried changing the battery in the IR remote? While these remote can work with 1x CR2032 (3v) battery, they work best and have a stronger signal if you use 2x CR2016 batteries (giving 6v in total).
  4. Have you checked that the IR LED on the front of the remote is actually producing an IR signal? You can test this with the front facing camera on a phone which don't usually have an IR filter on (see this video and the description below it).
I can certainly virginise any receivers you want and also diagnose (and possibly get working) the non-working receiver, plus supply 4-digit codes for any remotes which you don't already have a code for. Do the above checks first and we can go from there.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
ryezy
post 6th March 2014 21:10
Post #10 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Member No.: 7,098
Driving: w reg cloverleaf

hi giallo
have remote keys with new circuit boards so needed to sync to receiver but do not have correct codes if I send you receiver can you enable it to accept new remote keys for phase 2 red key one button
please
many thanks
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
re-book
post 23rd March 2014 21:45
Post #11 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 11,576
Driving: FIAT Coupe 16 VT

QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ 30th April 2012 12:07) *
Remote 4-digit Codes
In some cases, the original owner of the car may have have been sensible enough to put the 4-digit code stickers somewhere in the service manual or the owner's handbook. Unfortunately though, in a lot of cases it seems that the original owner kept the codes somewhere safe and then never passed them onto the new owner of the car. Alfa do not keep a record of the 4-digit codes, however with the required equipment and knowledge, a remote can be decoded in order to retrieve it's 4-digit code and/or a receiver programmed back to factory default settings so that any remotes can be programmed into it even if you don't have the 4-digit code of the remote(s). I am able to do this for the 145, 146, 155, 164 & 916 Spider/GTV remote systems (and also some Fiats from the same era) so if you need this done then either send me a private message or add a reply to this thread.

Hi Giallo,

I'm happy I found your posting. I have a Fiat Coupe from 1995 and no 4 Digit Code for the Car.
The good is I still have working remote but it is worn out. My wife gave me a new (orignal) one for Christmas.
The new key came with a 4 digit code. As I understand now I need the code from the old remote or the key that was
delivered with the car, which I don't have. My mechanics told me that I need a new interior light (with ir-receiver) assembly,
but they are not sure. This car has a alarm but has no transponders in keys or a red(brown)key e.t.c.

Can you help me to get the new key working with the car without having the code.

Thanks and my best regards

from Berlin - Florian
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 24th March 2014 10:35
Post #12 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(re-book @ 23rd March 2014 21:45) *
Hi Giallo,

I'm happy I found your posting. I have a Fiat Coupe from 1995 and no 4 Digit Code for the Car.
The good is I still have working remote but it is worn out. My wife gave me a new (orignal) one for Christmas.
The new key came with a 4 digit code. As I understand now I need the code from the old remote or the key that was
delivered with the car, which I don't have. My mechanics told me that I need a new interior light (with ir-receiver) assembly,
but they are not sure. This car has a alarm but has no transponders in keys or a red(brown)key e.t.c.

Can you help me to get the new key working with the car without having the code.

Thanks and my best regards

from Berlin - Florian

You won't need a new IR receiver but you would need to send your existing IR receiver to me to be "virginised" (set back to an as-new factory state). I've just done exactly this for another Coupe owner.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
KrissKross
post 23rd April 2014 09:53
Post #13 | Print

1.3 8v

Local Time: 17th October 2017 09:52
Member No.: 11,622
Driving: Alfa 156

Hi Giallo,

Thanks for your research job. I've the same problem on a 1992 Lancia with IR and 4-digit code.
Would you be so kind to help me reset my receiver?

Thanks in advance.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 23rd April 2014 12:18
Post #14 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(KrissKross @ 23rd April 2014 10:53) *
I've the same problem on a 1992 Lancia with IR and 4-digit code.
Would you be so kind to help me reset my receiver?

Yes probably, as long as it's the same type of system. What is the model of the car?

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
KrissKross
post 23rd April 2014 12:21
Post #15 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 11,622
Driving: Alfa 156

QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ 23rd April 2014 14:18) *
Yes probably, as long as it's the same type of system. What is the model of the car?

It's a Lancia Thema from 1992.
IR receiver with 4 digits ...
Simple programming, no 256 lock and so on. The first style...

I've opened the receiver and it's made of a ST 93C06B6 EPROM and a COP822C microcontroller.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 23rd April 2014 19:04
Post #16 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(KrissKross @ 23rd April 2014 13:21) *
It's a Lancia Thema from 1992.

Yes, it looks like the Thema does use the same system as used on Fiats / Alfas of the same era.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
m54b30
post 26th August 2014 19:34
Post #17 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 11,808
Driving: Alfa GTV

Hi Giallo, I have the same problem as everybody else, only one remote and no code.
Mine is a Alfa GTV PH2, any help is highly appreciated.

Regads, Patrik
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
alastpa
post 2nd September 2014 10:58
Post #18 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: New Member
Member No.: 11,820
Driving: 916 Spider V6 & 147 JTDm

Hi Mate
Quick introduction as I'm new here. Names Alasdair from South Africa. I'm quite active on the alfaowner forum but this is my first post here. Got a 03 Spider V6 and an 09 147 JTDm 16v

I've got a working reciever and 1 key on my Spider. Ages ago the dealer here in Johannesburg got my non functional remote central locking working by replacing the receiver and I assume just programming my existing key into it. Unfortunately the alarm module wouldnt cooperate. I later learned after buying a new alarm box at stupid money that the receiver actually needs to have its memory unlocked and re-programmed with the alarm box switched on. Needless to say I dont have the key code to unlock the receiver memory and reprogramme.

Would you be able to extract the code from either the receiver or key?? I'd be more than happy to pay you and ship the correct component to you.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
J.M.P.
post 6th September 2014 00:16
Post #19 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 11,778
Driving: Alfa Romeo

Hi Giallo,

I need your help. I need to reset my alarm receiver on a GTV can you please provide me your contact details ?

Regards

JMP
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
alastpa
post 28th October 2014 10:42
Post #20 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 11,820