post 31st May 2006 12:44
Post #1 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 18th June 2019 13:06
Member No.: 1,447
Driving: Alfa Romeo 145 QV - titanium grey with black momo

Hi Guys...
I am going to fit the resonator replacement pipe this weekend and as a bit of prep I thought I would just check with you knowledgeable guys as to how long it may take to remove the bumper and where the clips are. blink.gif

Is the bumper 1 peice or can you remove the bottom half in order to get the resonator out?
Are the clips reasonably tough and designed to be removed and replaced or are they just bolts?
Where are the bolts that I need to remove to get the bumper off.
Do you have any other hints and tips for this job?

I have had a look at the photos that are on the forum showing the change of part but the bumper is already off in the shots....

I am also going to do an oil change and fit the K&N panel filter - should have the alfa growl back by the weekend! woohoo. biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 31st May 2006 12:56
Post #2 | Print

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Local Time: 18th June 2019 12:06
Member No.: 954
Driving: Alfa 145 QV, Lancia Delta Integrale Evo, SEAT Leon Mk2 FR+ TDI DSG

It's fairly easy...

1) Remove grille (bolts on top...remove carefully as there are spring clips holding the side bits in)
2) Remove screws on top of the bumper
3) Remove screws on underside of the bumper
4) Remove clips (or screws on the facelifts) which connect the wheel arch liner to the bumper
5) Disconnect the foglamps
6) Disconnect the headlamp washers
7) Slide the bumper forward (it is on rails) then lift it off complete

I tried to do mine last weekend but ran into problems with the wheel arch liner bolts angry.gif You shouldn't have the same issue though as you have a pre-facelift so they used clips instead of screws on the wheel arch liners smile.gif

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
alfatom
post 31st May 2006 13:57
Post #3 | Print

1.4 16v

QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ May 31 2006, 01:56 PM)
I tried to do mine last weekend but ran into problems with the wheel arch liner bolts angry.gif You shouldn't have the same issue though as you have a pre-facelift so they used clips instead of screws on the wheel arch liners smile.gif

Thanks very much for the guidance. I look forward to having a go at it myself. I just hope that it doesn't all go wrong with the bumper off!!!!

With regard to your issue of the screws getting 'welded' in place - I saw just the thing for you advertised at Bob Dyas the other day. They are screw extracting drill bits that are designed to be used on rounded off screw heads. Basically, you need a nice strong drill with a slow speed on it and then these drill bits and it should get them out OK. If not, then it will work on the other non welded screws you come accross in life. Here is the >>> LINK

Let me know how you get on.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 3rd June 2006 19:24
Post #4 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(alfatom @ May 31 2006, 02:57 PM)
Let me know how you get on.

Well I finally got the screws connecting the wheel arch liner to the bumper drilled out using cobalt drills (very hard) and RTD cutting compound biggrin.gif

But, I hit two problems (one of them major sad.gif). First, I couldn't get the mounting bracket off the resonator as the bolt is so badly corroded into the bracket. Second, I managed to trash my air box by breaking off most of the lugs which hold the lid on, again due to corroded in screws mad.gif Why don't people use grease on anything? rant.gif

Attached File  ResonatorBracket.jpg ( 85.47k ) Number of downloads: 337

I could fart around with cutting the bracket off and cleaning it up but I need a new air box now which means it's going to be next week until I can finish the job anyway so I'm just going to order a new bracket and be done with it. So, what I thought would be a fairly straight forward has turned into a complete mission rolleyes.gif Hopefully I'll get there eventually wacko.gif

Just one other thing. When you disconnect the headlamp washer joint, water will go everywhere as your washer tank drains itself all over the floor which is something I overlooked doh.gif You have three options...1) Have a bucket handy and drain the tank through the disconnected pipe 2) Push the end of the hose up trhough the engine bay and leave it in a place there the end of the hose higher than the tank 3) Don't disconnect the hose at all and just move the bumper to the side of the car with this hose still connected (which is what I did in the end) smile.gif

Attached File  FaceliftBumperRemoved.jpg ( 129.72k ) Number of downloads: 464

Also, for anyone with facelift car, the bumper isn't on runners like the pre-facelift bumpers are. Instead, there is an additional 'hidden' bolt on each side of the bumper rolleyes.gif. To find it you need to peel back the inner wheel arch liner...

Attached File  FrontWheelArchLinerPeeledBack.jpg ( 63.15k ) Number of downloads: 349

Attached File  HiddenFaceliftBumperBolt.jpg ( 76.62k ) Number of downloads: 373

The bumper then just lifts off.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
F355
post 3rd June 2006 20:18
Post #5 | Print

1.7 16v

Group: Veteran
Member No.: 855
Driving: 145qv, 146ti and Mini Cooper

It's never straightforward is it biggrin.gif

Hopefully it will be worth it in the end. At least you will know the pitfalls of removing facelift bumpers wink.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
alfatom
post 5th June 2006 08:59
Post #6 | Print

1.4 16v

GialloEvo.... Looks like you are having a nightmare with this resonator/K&N fitting exercise. Best of luck with that.
As you know I had exactly the same job to do and living on the streets (so to speak) in London meant that removing bumpers is quite tricky.
That said I couldn't beleive my luck when it all went so smoothly this weekend and I got the bumper removed, resonator removed, brazillian pipe (as I like to call it now) and K&N fitted in about 1 hour! I couldn't beleive it. The bumper was literally 5 bolts (1 missing) and 4 clips and it just slipped straight off like you said it would.
.....But you don't want to hear that!!!!! Sorry. blush.gif

If its any consolation, the new free breathing pipe and K&N make a noticable difference to the performance and engine note and also gone is the rubbish noise it made - sounded like the engine was packaged in a plastic box. (the resonator I guess). So thats something to look forward to!

I pulled apart the resonator once it was removed to have a look what it was actually made of and I have to say its a bizarre design with the air still running straight through a pipe (all beit a U bend) but with what looks like 2 toilet rolls packed around it and then a bit bolted on the side attached by a pipe. Strange thing - I can't imagine why they would have felt the need to fit it!?!

I also had a rear alfa badge to fit (the lock cover) which ended up taking about 1 hour to fit as well.... What a fiddly b@stard that is!!!! In the end I had to ditch the helicoil spring from the inside of the boot (not the external one) as I just couldn't get it and the white washer and the c clip all on in one go. Seems to work perfectly though so I guess I see how it goes. Managed to break a clip and a bit of the trim in the process though - damn it.

Next job: CSC box, removing spark plugs in cyclinder 1 and perhaps an ECU chip wink.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 5th June 2006 09:38
Post #7 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(alfatom @ Jun 5 2006, 09:59 AM)
As you know I had exactly the same job to do and living on the streets (so to speak) in London meant that removing bumpers is quite tricky.
That said I couldn't beleive my luck when it all went so smoothly this weekend and I got the bumper removed, resonator removed, brazillian pipe (as I like to call it now) and K&N fitted in about 1 hour! I couldn't beleive it. The bumper was literally 5 bolts (1 missing) and 4 clips and it just slipped straight off like you said it would.
.....But you don't want to hear that!!!!! Sorry. blush.gif

tongue.gif (but well done biggrin.gif)

I've been unable to source one of the later type air boxes secondhand and as I need it by next weekend I just bit the bullet and ordered a brand new one today (60 sad.gif). I also ordered a load of shiny new bolts and some other trim/odds and ends I've been needing for a while to tidy a few things up. Needless to say I'll be going overboard with greasing everything up when it all goes back together so the next lucky owner is going to have an easy life when it comes to any maintenance smile.gif

Next job is the lower wishbones so I guess I'll just expect the worst with that job too biggrin.gif I can't believe how much money I've spent on this car since I got it less than a year ago. Surprisingly, it's actually costing far more than the Lancia in annual maintenance costs huh.gif

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 2nd July 2006 23:08
Post #8 | Print

Forum Administrator

Finally, over a month after starting the job and the car off the road for the last 4 weeks while awaiting a new air box (the first one sent was broken angry.gif) I finally got everything back together again today biggrin.gif New air box, K&N panel filter and replacement resonator pipe cool.gif Have to say it sounds much better without that nasty resonator box thumbup.gif It was a struggle but I got there in the end laugh.gif

Attached File  NewAirBoxFitted.jpg ( 90.64k ) Number of downloads: 295
Attached File  NewKNAirFilterFitted.jpg ( 121.32k ) Number of downloads: 287

Attached File  NewAirBox.jpg ( 108.7k ) Number of downloads: 322
Attached File  RenonatorReplacementPipe.jpg ( 106.92k ) Number of downloads: 358

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
alfatom
post 3rd July 2006 07:18
Post #9 | Print

1.4 16v

Well done GE!!!
Sometimes these jobs are sent to test us....
The sound is much better as you say and I have found that as you drive it around from now on you will just catch little moments when it just sounds fantastic. I guess its just the perfect placement of walls or tunnels and stillness in the air! Such a motor geek I know.
Enjoy.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
greencloverle...
post 15th July 2006 18:10
Post #10 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 1,538
Driving: 145 cloverleaf,sud ti,gtv 2.0

how much was the replacment filter and also what is the resonator box from patrick.
p.s does it sound much different now and also does it help drivability.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 15th July 2006 22:52
Post #11 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(greencloverleaf pat @ Jul 15 2006, 07:10 PM) *
how much was the replacment filter and also what is the resonator box from patrick.
p.s does it sound much different now and also does it help drivability.

Replacement pipe was 3 from Alfa (part number 60617628) and the K&N Panel Filter was 40. There is a change in the induction noise as the resonator was more restrictive and wasn't a straight airflow path into the air box whereas the replacement pipe is. The K&N is also freer flowing than the OEM paper filter so helps the system to breath a little easier.

Attached File  RenonatorReplacementPipeNotFitted.jpg ( 143.55k ) Number of downloads: 454

Any performance gain by applying this setup is negligible and I can't say I've really noticed any change in drivability.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
greencloverle...
post 16th July 2006 07:56
Post #12 | Print

1.4 16v

i think i will get the air filter also .

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 16th July 2006 08:37
Post #13 | Print

Forum Administrator

I got my K&N filter from the same place I got the pipe, mainly because I had a load of other bits on order and couldn't be arsed going elsewhere to get one. You will get them slightly cheaper somewhere like here on eBay or maybe another online motor factors. Before you go ordering any stuff, make sure you can get the screws out of the air box first because these can cause you some grief (see here). If you do get them out then grease them up straight away before putting them back in again.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
greencloverle...
post 16th July 2006 10:04
Post #14 | Print

1.4 16v

ok thanks mate

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
jonmns77
post 1st June 2008 15:49
Post #15 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Local Time: 18th June 2019 11:06
Member No.: 3,132
Driving: 145 2.0 cloverleaf

well just finished mine off, it took about 3 hours and 300 swear words laugh.gif i struggled with the rear left nut holding the box in place for ages. once out i took the top section of pipe out of the resonator box and used this as my cold feed (kind of half a brazilian!) until my k&n cold feed arrives next week. i must say the induction sound is perfect and not too loud and chavvy. please note i could not find any screws underneath the bumper so this must only be for pre-facelift ones.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 1st June 2008 17:18
Post #16 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(jonmns77 @ 1st June 2008 16:49) *
please note i could not find any screws underneath the bumper so this must only be for pre-facelift ones.

There are definately screws underneath the bumper of a facelift 145 which I say from experience because mine is a facelift and I've had my bumper off a few times now. If you have no screws underneath then it means that a previous owner (or garage) hasn't put them back in after replacing the bumper.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
jonmns77
post 1st June 2008 18:17
Post #17 | Print

1.3 8v

Local Time: 18th June 2019 11:06
Member No.: 3,132
Driving: 145 2.0 cloverleaf

QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ 1st June 2008 18:18) *
There are definately screws underneath the bumper of a facelift 145 which I say from experience because mine is a facelift and I've had my bumper off a few times now. If you have no screws underneath then it means that a previous owner (or garage) hasn't put them back in after replacing the bumper.

i stand corrected (said the man in orthopaedic shoes!) coolio.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
ohit
post 10th January 2010 11:58
Post #18 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 3,278
Driving: 156

Does the front bumper HAVE to come off to fit the straight through pipe?

I have the resonator already off on mine with just the short top pipe attached (i.e. see link, the first couple of photos, the pipe that goes down attached to the large resonator).

Also, where on the outside (front of car) does the air come into the straight through pipe. Can't work it out from the photos.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
langers
post 10th January 2010 12:31
Post #19 | Print

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,059
Driving: Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 1.4 TFSI COD

The corner of the bumper does in order to bend it round, but then you risk cracking things so yes, it is best to remove the whole bumper.

--------------------

'96 Purple 145 QV died from rust - '98 Blue Junior SOLD - '99 Red 145 QV 20VT SOLD - '97 145 QV Track Tart SOLD
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
ToxyMaTT
post 29th September 2013 10:34
Post #20 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: New Member
Member No.: 11,185
Driving: 156 2.5L V6 SW

QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ 16th July 2006 00:52) *
Replacement pipe was 3 from Alfa (part number 60617628)

Attached File  RenonatorReplacementPipeNotFitted.jpg ( 143.55k ) Number of downloads: 454

Is this the JTD pipe ?
I saw this when I took a look at EPER, TS resonator ohmy.gif

JTD :

Is the pipe a better idea than removing the resonator and put nothing in replacement ?
Like a cold air intake?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18 Jun 2019 11:06