post 11th May 2013 10:09
Post #1 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Local Time: 14th December 2017 06:26
Member No.: 7,494
Driving: phase one 145 1.6ts 16v

Hello everyone,

I've been toying with the idea of doing a coupe 2.00 16v turbo conversion for a while, and while I know that in the near future it will be impossible for me to do I would like to start gaining info on all the aspects of the coversion.

I've been looking through the search engine for ages and can only find 6yr old posts with no real info no3.gif ,

so i've written up a list of things I would like to know about, and I think it would be cool to have a post where anyone who needs info can get it easily smile.gif

First of all would be what sort of maximum power output could you get from it? I've seen various figures knocking around about the 220bhp mark?

If I ever get round to doing it I would much rather strip the engine down an re-build it to have a long lasting, reliable motor instead of just whopping in a lump and hope fo the best, so I was thinking about internal mods to make the best possible platform so I could do future power upgrades without compromising reliability,
I was thinking; (i'm a complete newbie so if anything sounds rediculous please tell me blush.gif ?

Pistons
new valves
Fast road cams
head skimming
upgraded head gasket
upgraded fuel pump
bigger intercooler?

power increase:
performance chip / tune
Upgraded turbo, I've read that the 16v has more turbo lag than the 20v, anyway an upgraded turbo / Hybrid turbo could help solve this?

I would also imagine that having that extra power would compromise the clutch and gearbox, any ideas of what type of upgrade would be good?
Fitting the engine from a coupe would also mean I would need front hubs, discs, suspension from a coupe aswell right? would that mean modifying the top mounts?, I would also do a rear disc conversion, could I use the coupe's rear brakes/hubs? If this is so i could just get a coilover set for a fiat coupe and fit it stright to the car?

The ecu and loom would also come frome the coupe right? I've read that the ecu would have to be modified and the loom re-wired?

By the way my current car is a phase 1 1998 1.6 Ts.

I think that is all i've got in mind right now, so if anyone could add or modify anything that would be great!

please let me know if there is a similar thread and I will close this one, but as I said before i couldn't find a descent one using the search function!

cheers in advance worshippy.gif

Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Flp
post 12th May 2013 10:04
Post #2 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 9,274
Driving: 145 1.4TS ITB

Hi,

i dont have experience with conversion, but look on this forum: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engines-ts-...conversion.html
Maybe add turbo to TS will be easier and you can get nice power...
I have 1.4TS and its high rpm engine (82 x 64,9 - bore x stroke). 2.0TS is low rpm engine (83 x 91 - bore x stroke), but its use on high rpm and thats not good. That's why i like 1.4TS and want to upgrade it... But i dont know if like N/A or turbo engine.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Alfa-Si
post 13th May 2013 03:19
Post #3 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 14th December 2017 04:26
Member No.: 5,554
Driving: '00 Alfa Romeo 145 20v turbo

QUOTE(rhythm_101 @ 11th May 2013 11:09) *
Hello everyone,

I've been toying with the idea of doing a coupe 2.00 16v turbo conversion for a while, and while I know that in the near future it will be impossible for me to do I would like to start gaining info on all the aspects of the coversion.

I've been looking through the search engine for ages and can only find 6yr old posts with no real info no3.gif ,

so i've written up a list of things I would like to know about, and I think it would be cool to have a post where anyone who needs info can get it easily smile.gif

First of all would be what sort of maximum power output could you get from it? I've seen various figures knocking around about the 220bhp mark?

If I ever get round to doing it I would much rather strip the engine down an re-build it to have a long lasting, reliable motor instead of just whopping in a lump and hope fo the best, so I was thinking about internal mods to make the best possible platform so I could do future power upgrades without compromising reliability,
I was thinking; (i'm a complete newbie so if anything sounds rediculous please tell me blush.gif ?

Pistons
new valves
Fast road cams
head skimming
upgraded head gasket
upgraded fuel pump
bigger intercooler?

power increase:
performance chip / tune
Upgraded turbo, I've read that the 16v has more turbo lag than the 20v, anyway an upgraded turbo / Hybrid turbo could help solve this?

I would also imagine that having that extra power would compromise the clutch and gearbox, any ideas of what type of upgrade would be good?
Fitting the engine from a coupe would also mean I would need front hubs, discs, suspension from a coupe aswell right? would that mean modifying the top mounts?, I would also do a rear disc conversion, could I use the coupe's rear brakes/hubs? If this is so i could just get a coilover set for a fiat coupe and fit it stright to the car?

The ecu and loom would also come frome the coupe right? I've read that the ecu would have to be modified and the loom re-wired?

By the way my current car is a phase 1 1998 1.6 Ts.

I think that is all i've got in mind right now, so if anyone could add or modify anything that would be great!

please let me know if there is a similar thread and I will close this one, but as I said before i couldn't find a descent one using the search function!

cheers in advance worshippy.gif

That's a lot of questions in one post ha.
I'll post what I know see if I can answer them 1 by 1

So power 220bhp is the standard 20vt figure, not sure on the 16vt but confident you'd be able to reach that no problem.

Things to do while the engine is stripped depends on how far you want to go and how big your wallet is, you could things like;
Forged con rods
Balanced crank
Lightened and balanced flywheel
Fully ported and polished head and throttle body

Then there's things like bigger injectors, fuel pressure regulator, the walbro fuel pump upgrade is a popular one.
Standard coupe intercooler wouldn't fit so you'd have to upgrade that anyway.

There's loads of options of hybrid turbos. And make sure you have a nice free flowing exhaust.

To fit the 16vt you'll use the coupes gearbox and pretty sure that'll be fine unless you go mental on power, same with clutch just shove a new one in when you have the engine out, you could go for a paddle clutch but they can be quite unforgiving when driving in traffic.

On the suspension you need, subframe, steering rack, ARB, wishbones, hubs, driveshafts, brakes, dampers, and all that is a straight fit. You'll also need the gear stick and cables.

The rear suspension and brakes from a coupe are identical to a 145.

You need the ecu, code box, key chips and aerial from the coupe. Ecu doesn't need modifying.
The engine loom will come from the coupe and some wires will need matching up to the equivalent ones in the 145 so the dash functions will work.

Sure there'll be something I've forgotton,
The way I did my 20vt conversion is get a complete donor car, so then you've got everything you could possibly need right there.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
rhythm_101
post 19th May 2013 21:14
Post #4 | Print

1.3 8v

cheers for the reply! if i ever do get round it i would get a donor car, i've just seen a V6 turbo engine from a spider for 800..... tempting.. whistle.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
AJ
post 20th May 2013 06:27
Post #5 | Print

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Local Time: 14th December 2017 05:26
Member No.: 2
Driving: Alfa 145 Turbo, BMW 330cd, GTV 2.0 Lusso

Just a few notes from someone who has completed a 16vt conversion - a lot of the ECUs are non-immobiliser enabled. This is a software change by the version of the EEPROM so if you do have a immobiliser EEPROM but not the keys you can always change to a non-immobiliser enabled version easily.

You can use your steering rack and subframe. For the steering rack you need new track rod control arms - I think I used some from an Alfa 164.

The standard fuel pump is not up to the task so consider a Walbro 255 lph pump or use the Coupe one.

Splicing the wires is easy for the loom - there aren't many that need joining to the car loom (RPM, speedo), plus what additional gauges you might want to run - oil temp, oil pressure (an essential worry gauge on a 16vt), boost pressure, etc.

You might need to add a return fuel pipe feed depending on which fuel system you have on the current TS.

--------------------
Websites are like a**eholes, everyone has one, and im wary of any bloke trying to direct people into their's.

The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, 'Hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride...' And we ... kill those people.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
rhythm_101
post 20th May 2013 08:29
Post #6 | Print

1.3 8v

cool, i would like to keep it as simple as possible, so using the original subframe and steering rack helps out a bit, regarding suspension, i'm thinking of modifying my suspension setup before any major engine mods, so i could take into account that in the future i would do an enginge swap, i was thinking of getting some FK coilovers, i would image that these would be suffice, or would i have to upgrade the springs to compensate the extra engine weight?

At the moment i'm weighing up a few options, a 16v turbo engine, a 3l or 3.2l V6 (depending on whats avaliable) and a 2.5l V6 turbo, the latter maybe the best of both worlds? if i'm not mistaken it puts out 190bhp standard, so it would ave a lot of room for improvement , i'm looking to get 250-280 bhp, by far enough for a little pocket rocket! happy.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Duncan
post 1st June 2013 15:37
Post #7 | Print

1.6 16v

Group: Veteran
Member No.: 2,192
Driving: '93 Cinquecento 1.2 16v & '08 Panda 100HP

There is so much tuning info out there for the 16v engine. The FCCUK forum is a good place to start. Some tuning parts aren't cheap as they also fit integrales and that seems to put prices up whistle.gif

My never ending 16v Turbo conversion has an uprated paddle clutch which seems to be highly recommended if you're getting near 300bhp other than that the gearbox should be fine.

As mentioned, you'll need to uprate the fuel pump. I've also fitted an uprated fuel pressure regulator. 3" exhaust and a better elbow and downpipe are also on the list if you want good power and a front mount intercooler is essential. Spesso head gasket and uprated bolts are also a must on tuned cars.

Obviously you'll want decent suspension and brakes as well...

--------------------

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
145t
post 5th March 2014 20:36
Post #8 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: New Member
Member No.: 11,548
Driving: alfa 145 2.0 cloverleaf

If 260-300 bhp are enough, why not go for 8v , from dedra or delta. Much cheaper engine.. also will fit in 145.

For 260 bhp there is really easy way on 8v. With standard turbo. For around 300 bhp, you need 3 bar map, fuel pump, injectors, turbo, wb lambda, and remap. Also bigger IC will be nice. you can go a bit more than 300 bhp, but then you must add a little more boost.

This post has been edited by 145t: 5th March 2014 20:38
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JasonHillAO
post 6th March 2014 08:04
Post #9 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 5,115
Driving: 145 2.0 20V Turbo

Have you read the build thread about my car? I'm on 300bhp and I would say I prefer the 20vt.

--------------------
I work for Virgin media so if you want a deal or want to join let me know. :)
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
145t
post 6th March 2014 08:57
Post #10 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: New Member
Member No.: 11,548
Driving: alfa 145 2.0 cloverleaf

I didnt, but will look your topic.

I just said 8v is much cheaper, at least here in Croatia, also Italy is 1 hour away, 8vt can be found for 200-400 euros. here, tipo with 1000 kg doing 12.2 sec quartermile, standard 8vt engine, just few bits changed, still on stock ecu (even havent remap). So its cheap option for going fast biggrin.gif
But 16vt or 20vt is definitely better.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Cujo
post 6th March 2014 14:06
Post #11 | Print

1.4 16v

Local Time: 14th December 2017 07:26
Member No.: 5,189
Driving: Alfa Romeo 145 turbo

20vt is pretty heavy and its tuning potencial is not so good as 16vt has.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 6th March 2014 14:35
Post #12 | Print

Forum Administrator

Member No.: 954
Driving: Alfa 145 QV, Lancia Delta Integrale Evo, SEAT Leon Mk2 FR+ TDI DSG

QUOTE(Cujo @ 6th March 2014 14:06) *
20vt is pretty heavy and its tuning potencial is not so good as 16vt has.

Agreed. The 16vt is also a stronger overall engine compared to the 20vt. The 20vt does sound better but then again you can make the 16vt sound just as good if you get a decent custom exhaust fitted smile.gif I will always be sitting on the 16vt fence but that's because I'm biased laugh.gif

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
AJ
post 6th March 2014 21:07
Post #13 | Print

Forum Administrator

Member No.: 2
Driving: Alfa 145 Turbo, BMW 330cd, GTV 2.0 Lusso

Plus you can still change the timing belt very easily with the 16vt. The 8vt will give you a very good torque curve so don't dismiss it immediately.

--------------------
Websites are like a**eholes, everyone has one, and im wary of any bloke trying to direct people into their's.

The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, 'Hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride...' And we ... kill those people.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JasonHillAO
post 8th March 2014 13:00
Post #14 | Print

1.6 8v

I managed to change the belt on mine without removing the engine smile.gif just moved it across 2.5 inches.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 8th March 2014 22:02
Post #15 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(JasonHillAO @ 8th March 2014 13:00) *
I managed to change the belt on mine without removing the engine smile.gif just moved it across 2.5 inches.

Yeah, but you still had to mess around with an engine crane and jacks, and removing engine mounts. Not so with the 16vt.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JasonHillAO
post 8th March 2014 23:47
Post #16 | Print

1.6 8v

Haha fair enough smile.gif is their a torque difference in the 20v and 16v?

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 8th March 2014 23:50
Post #17 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(JasonHillAO @ 8th March 2014 23:47) *
is their a torque difference in the 20v and 16v?

It depends how they've been mapped and by who wink.gif

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14 Dec 2017 04:26