Ganz
post 21st November 2019 22:36
Post #1 | Print

1.6 16v

Group: Veteran
Local Time: 9th December 2019 05:55
Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

After many weeks of trying to save her, with a heavy heart I am sad to say that Cusiko has gone to her final resting place. It was not for the want of trying. After four weeks and 6 hours in the slashing rain on Sunday of trying to get her back into a suitable position in the compound she stopped. Bella was spinning her wheels trying to tow Cusiko out of the gravel and into a safe haven but it was not to be. Tired, cold and wet there was nothing more we could do sad.gif
Attached Image

Cusiko RIP 20/11/2019

This post has been edited by Ganz: 21st November 2019 23:17

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 22nd November 2019 10:11
Post #2 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

Hey Ganz-

this is sobering to read, but I've got to be honest; I'm a bit fuzzy about who Cusiko was..?

Was the that the 147 selespeed?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 22nd November 2019 11:39
Post #3 | Print

1.6 16v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 22nd November 2019 10:11) *
Hey Ganz-

this is sobering to read, but I've got to be honest; I'm a bit fuzzy about who Cusiko was..?

Was the that the 147 selespeed?

Hi Dante. Yes, Cusiko (the near spelling of the reg plate CU5ISK0) was the 147 Selespeed. It was jammed in gear and a Selespeed trait is that if it's stuck in gear the engine will not start. After 4 weeks of blocking residents access to their Wheely bins and finally blocking access to some of the lockup garages I was becoming very unpopular with the locals.

Of course we will never know if the tele-informatics system would have worked. Even if I had saved the 147 I'm not sure I could have trusted a car where the gearbox could shut down anytime it wasn't happy. I never want to see a set of wheel dollys again. Anyone interested in 4 wheel dollys?

This post has been edited by Ganz: 22nd November 2019 13:11

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 22nd November 2019 19:42
Post #4 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

what a sad story

I know that at the time they were sold, the dealers were referring to them as 'sillyspeeds'- which certainly couldn't have helped brand value.

its sobering to hear the with all the engineering skills at your disposal that it just wasn't possible to resolve.

so- ultimately; were you able to tell what the problem was?

ECU, or actuators?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
sanitary
post 23rd November 2019 12:38
Post #5 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Member No.: 662
Driving: in front of you

shame... looked in good nick

I do know it is possible to swap to a manual gearbox as it has been done [manual to sillyspeed] on a 155 [owners wife could only drive auto's]

but if you're not a position to be able to repair then sadly this is what happens... That's Life...

san
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 24th November 2019 00:05
Post #6 | Print

1.6 16v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 22nd November 2019 19:42) *
what a sad story

I know that at the time they were sold, the dealers were referring to them as 'sillyspeeds'- which certainly couldn't have helped brand value.

its sobering to hear the with all the engineering skills at your disposal that it just wasn't possible to resolve.
so- ultimately; were you able to tell what the problem was?

ECU, or actuators?

I tried everything, the relays, hitting the Selespeed pump, Multiscan diagnostics, swapping batteries and all the other things that the 'internet' suggested.. none of them worked. Local residents were getting p**sed off with me as I was blocking access to their wheely bins.. final resting place was blocking access to someone's lockup.. not good! If the lockup landlord has given me one more week I would have the driveshafts off but to be fair he had given me three weeks. He also helped out in trying to tow it with his 4x4 into the lockup compound but she was proving a challenge even for a 4x4.

In the end the local chaps that came round: three chaps, a mini van and a tow truck with a winch (this is what it took as the car was stuck in the soft gravel due to all the recent rain.). Sean, who knows my bruv in law(small world) disconnected the gear selector shaft from the selespeed box of actuators that sits on top of the gearbox. Simple stuff really but it took a 4ft breaker bar to release the selector shaft and who knows what the damage was but it got it into neutral clapping.gif

My bruv in law asked whether I had hit the selespeed pump as hard as I could. I suppose a full sledgehammer welly may have released the seized bushes on the pump but the advice had come too late. I had already taken two days off work in the last 4 weeks and was inconveniencing a load of people. It just had to go.

Even if I had got it into neutral I still had the challenge of turning it around and free wheeling it into the lockup. Secondly, thirdly, fourthly... it could have been the pump, or worse the clutch release bearing and a gearbox off job. I've done that on my other 147 and its not a job I want to do again.. Finally, I don't think I could ever trust a car where the gearbox can decide to shut down and leave me stranded in gear. The thought of having to cart around the wheel dollys just in case - what a load of s**te the 'skates' were. Unless your car is on a billiard table smooth level piece of ground they just don't work. When you lower the weight of the car on to them the castors flick into every possible direction. Yes, I know that you can move them but that was not possible without jacking the car up slightly blah blah. I never want to see 'skates' again. EVER!

This post has been edited by Ganz: 24th November 2019 00:55

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 24th November 2019 00:43
Post #7 | Print

1.6 16v

QUOTE(sanitary @ 23rd November 2019 12:38) *
shame... looked in good nick

I do know it is possible to swap to a manual gearbox as it has been done [manual to sillyspeed] on a 155 [owners wife could only drive auto's]

but if you're not a position to be able to repair then sadly this is what happens... That's Life...

san

Mate, she was. What I liked about the Selespeed was the factory spec the original owner had done to it. The 'factory' lowered stuff. It would have been a rare thing. 'Concerning things' I had noticed when I was prepping her for the MOT a month ago was: the snapped front coil spring.. Also, when I was jacking her up on to those wretched wheel dollys the jack had pierced the nearside rear sill so it was pretty rusted underneath. One of the cams had a bit of rust and was pitted which isn't a big deal but my 145 didn't have any of this. Lessons learnt from this experience: do not buy a car that has been standing idle outdoors for 4 years. The thing is I had forgotten over the years that this had been a Selespeed. Had I remembered I don't think I would have brought it. I remember driving it away thinking what the hell is this two pedalo thing. She is gone and I have the good memories. Those Momo seats were fantastic and the 17" GTA wheel looked the business. Would have been nice to have seen the Informatics system work cuz I am a bit of a geek. Like you say. Just got to move on.

Yeah I have heard of the conversion. In fact there is a SA Fb site that supports this. The Selespeed is essentially a manual gearbox with the relay operated actuators sitting on the top. The main obstacle would have been the ECU etc. Tbh I wanted something that was nice but nothing that required another 3 year project.

On the look out for replacement. Got to be a runner though laugh.gif

Ah well, I'm back to two car ownership.

This post has been edited by Ganz: 24th November 2019 00:59

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9 Dec 2019 05:55