JeremyG
post 27th April 2018 14:30
Post #21 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 26th September 2018 09:32
Member No.: 12,797
Driving: Spider 2.0, 166 3.0 Sportronic, 145 QV

Got the car out for a brief road test today - from home to Halfords (to pick up oil and new battery) to MoT test centre (to book a test for the Spider) then back home...

Temperatures were good; the heater works; gear change is great; and the suspension is amazingly free from any knocks and clonks.

It's not all good, though, as the front offside brake is binding, and the rear wiper isn't working.

I'm minded to fix these, do a quick oil and filter change then get the car MoT tested to see if anything else is needed apart from the welding.
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 27th April 2018 16:32
Post #22 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

Unbelievable

You can spot the good 'uns, eh?!

They don't 'build 'em like they used to' and all that... (Seems like the right thing to say at this point!)

I bet; the rear wiper motor has seized, and taken the fuse with it...?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JeremyG
post 28th April 2018 22:08
Post #23 | Print

1.4 16v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 27th April 2018 17:32) *
I bet; the rear wiper motor has seized, and taken the fuse with it...?

The rear wiper does indeed appear to be seized - I've removed the hatchback rear trim panel and checked power at the motor; I've removed the retaining bolts from the motor casing and the circlip from the spindle but the spindle seems stuck in the hatch. Am I missing something - or do I need to just use more force?

Also, the alarm system has been behaving weirdly, too - I've triggered it a few times because it is set to self-arm. Before I got round to changing the country code to stop the self-arming, the alarm has suddenly gone silent on me. It no longer beeps when the alarm is set/unset - and the siren doesn't work. But the system still responds to the remote key, the indicators flash, and the doors lock and unlock... weird... I'll post this in a separate thread, I think...

Finally, I stripped and lubricated the binding front caliper.

This post has been edited by JeremyG: 1st May 2018 17:34
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 29th April 2018 20:35
Post #24 | Print

1.6 8v

Caliper sounds like fun- a job we have all got coming.

That's a weird one about the rear wiper motor not coming off. Short of there being a hidden locking nut on the outside of the car, spray some penetrating fluid on it and leave overnight.

I was going to suggest giving it a couple of oblique taps with a light hammer- but does it go through the glass itself on the 145?!

Maybe that's not such a Good idea!!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JeremyG
post 1st May 2018 06:32
Post #25 | Print

1.4 16v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 29th April 2018 21:35) *
That's a weird one about the rear wiper motor not coming off. Short of there being a hidden locking nut on the outside of the car, spray some penetrating fluid on it and leave overnight.

There are no further screws or fixings - in the end, some side-to-side motion was all that was required to free the wiper spindle and washer jet assembly from its surround - itís just a push fit.

There are seemingly two issues with these units - rust on the spindle and grease on the copper brushes. Mine is suffering from both problems. Cleaning the grease from the copper contacts is easy. Sorting the rusted spindle is a little harder - despite the presence of an o-ring at the top, water has got past and the spindle has rusted inside its plastic sleeve. As the rust has developed it has distorted and split the sleeve, leaving it well and truly jammed.

Replacement units can be found on eBay so I decided to take a hacksaw to the sleeve to see if I could save my unit. With the sleeve removed, I rubbed down the spindle to get rid of the loose rust, then packed with grease and refitted the sleeve.

Now itís back together I just need to test it...

This post has been edited by JeremyG: 1st May 2018 07:11
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JeremyG
post 1st May 2018 07:02
Post #26 | Print

1.4 16v

... and another thing... the new fuel pump is dead already... 😧

I was just about to go for a quick test drive having freed up the sticky front brake caliper - when the motor died. Again, fuel starvation. So I pulled the pump unit (getting to be a dab hand at this) and sure enough, the pump was jammed. Having carefully cleaned the pump assembly before refitting it with the new pump a few days ago, it was worrying to see the amount of gunk that had collected in the bottom of the pump assembly in less than an hourís running.

Iím assuming the pump ingested some rubbish and jammed - and therefore Iím going to have to drain the tank and clean out the rust particles from the disintegrating original pump... or else this will keep happening... grrr

To make matters worse, while I was cleaning the new gunk, the replacement pump rolled off the table onto the (stone) floor - and guess what? It landed head first, snapping the output spout clean off...

So, Iíve ordered another new pump. The irony was that, of course, the broken pump worked just fine when I tested it later - maybe the impact with the floor dislodged whatever had jammed it in the first place...?

(I guess I should just be grateful that the fuel blockage happened with the car still on the drive.)

This post has been edited by JeremyG: 1st May 2018 07:14
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 1st May 2018 08:09
Post #27 | Print

1.6 8v

(good work on the wiper motor diagnosis)

Jeremy- I've got an idea on the fuel tank situation

Why don't you utilise the broken fuel-pump as a tank drainer..?

You wouldn't need the output spout as such. You could connect it to a 12v source, and run it, to drain the tank into a bucket (if it'll run)

Then remove it, and get you hands in there to scour out the crud. It might save having to remove the tank. Would the aperture be wide enough to get a hand in..?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JeremyG
post 1st May 2018 17:13
Post #28 | Print

1.4 16v

Yes, I will be trying to empty the tank in situ - there's easily room to get my hand in via the hole for the pump.

But I fear the pump itself will not be up to the job - annoying!

Attached Image

Here's the debris in the bottom of the pump bucket - bearing in mind it was spotless when I refitted it last week:

Attached Image
Attached Image

This post has been edited by JeremyG: 1st May 2018 17:25
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JeremyG
post 1st May 2018 17:20
Post #29 | Print

1.4 16v

On a more positive note, the rear wiper now works fine!

The copper brushes were covered in grease:

Attached Image

I also removed all grease from the underside of the driven cog that the brushes make contact with:

Attached Image

And here is the spindle - rusty, showing the split in its containing tube (the split should just be a groove):

Attached Image

... and finally a build showing the spindle with the sleeve cut off and cleaned of surface rust; greased; and reassembled with the spindle, washer tube, washer and circlip in place plus some duct tape to hold the cut sleeve in place.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

I think you can get a sense of the movement here - and don't worry, I've got a new wiper arm on order:

Attached Image

Next up: washers, front and back (pump's working, but no fluid delivered). And, of course, the fuel pump.

This post has been edited by JeremyG: 1st May 2018 17:32
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
VROOM
post 3rd May 2018 21:09
Post #30 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Member No.: 13,153
Driving: BRERA, GIULIETTA, 145QV

I recently had the same pleasure of the seized wiper. I didn't take the spindle sleeve off, but sprayed WD40 into it over and over again until it eventually moved freely. I actually thought the grease was meant to be the cog face so smeared more on, but of course now that you mention it I realize how it can cause a problem. wacko.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 3rd May 2018 22:22
Post #31 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

Good work. Have a look at my thread red devil. I dropped the petrool tank as you put it. Pointers.. you may have already done this. It's a straight forward job. Have a look at these pics if it's any help.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 4th May 2018 17:08
Post #32 | Print

1.6 8v

can't believe you managed to fix the rear wiper...

Well done...

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JeremyG
post 6th May 2018 22:46
Post #33 | Print

1.4 16v

Today I decanted the fuel (approx. 2.5 litres), filtered it, and cleaned the bottom of the tank. All clear. A new fuel pump arrived on Friday so I cleaned the debris from the pump assembly, reassembled it with the new pump unit, and refitted it in the newly-cleaned tank.

I then poured the filtered fuel into the tank and turned the engine over.

It fired - but only just. And I struggled to get it to rev much above tickover - and only by gently increasing revs to around 3k, after which they'd drop back down towards tickover again. Feels like I'm not getting enough fuel pressure... so more investigation to do there.

What are your thoughts: blocked filter, or the wrong pump?

[Ganz: thanks for the pics, but as there was relatively little fuel in the tank, I decided just to scoop it out via the pump opening.]

This post has been edited by JeremyG: 6th May 2018 23:00
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JeremyG
post 6th May 2018 22:54
Post #34 | Print

1.4 16v

On another note, I managed to remove the alarm unit from the boot. In doing so, I noticed that the siren casing protrudes through a hole in the rear panel of the car - behind the rear bumper.

The protruding siren casing has a set of holes. As I lifted it away from its mounting, a load of water drained out of the holes - and having shaken all of the water out, the siren worked again!

So, this will need waterproofing prior to refitting the siren unit. I think cling film will do the job...

Attached Image

This post has been edited by JeremyG: 6th May 2018 23:24
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JeremyG
post 6th May 2018 23:07
Post #35 | Print

1.4 16v

I started tracing through the windscreen washer piping today. There is water in the reservoir and the washer pump runs - but no water makes it to the screen, front or rear. Headlamp washers work fine.

So far, I've traced the windscreen washer piping to a Y-joint at the back of the engine bay behind the black sponge triangle. The y-joint has a hole at its centre through which water is squirting - instead of sending it down the pipes to the jets on the scuttle panels. Very odd. More investigating to do tomorrow...
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 7th May 2018 07:26
Post #36 | Print

1.6 8v

Jeremy-

The Y-joint is a non-return-valve,which is a sort of miniature rubber membrane which only allows one way flow.

When they fail- They seem to just leak out of themselves.

It's a part which is very hard to buy a good one of, although Halfords do do one.

I think I may have replaced with a straight T-junction

Think I've got a picture of the alarm exterior part which you describe on the 146... (Before & after cleanup)
I also have a sort of air vent round the back of the car, with like a plastic 'sink strainer' over the hole.
I think the purpose is to allow a through-put of cabin-air for ventilation purposes.

This post has been edited by dante giacosa: 7th May 2018 07:32
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JeremyG
post 7th May 2018 07:54
Post #37 | Print

1.4 16v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 7th May 2018 08:26) *
Jeremy-

The Y-joint is a non-return-valve,which is a sort of miniature rubber membrane which only allows one way flow.

When they fail- They seem to just leak out of themselves.

It's a part which is very hard to buy a good one of, although Halfords do do one.

I think I may have replaced with a straight T-junction
Think I've got a picture of the alarm exterior part which you describe on the 146... (Before & after cleanup)
I also have a sort of air vent round the back of the car, with like a plastic 'sink strainer' over the hole.
I think the purpose is to allow a through-put of cabin-air for ventilation purposes.

Great, thanks - although it looks to me like the hole in the bodywork is there simply to let the sound out from the siren. There was a kind of silicone membrane over the holes in the siren unit which had disintegrated (and presumably that was how the water got in).

On the Y-piece - no point in attempting a repair, by the sound of things - so I'll go straight for a replacement!

In fact: just ordered one here:

http://www.ricambio.co.uk/75-alfa-romeo/19...fiat-alfa-romeo

This post has been edited by JeremyG: 7th May 2018 16:52
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 7th May 2018 08:04
Post #38 | Print

1.6 8v

Oh!

So, you think BOTH holes are for the siren?

I've never had mine out, so I don't know 'exactly' how it interfaces with those parts.

(In the FIAT Coupť world- there is a silicone membrane 'vent' in exactly the same position, which does indeed have a cabin ventilation functionality- the alarm is under a front wing!

Separately- do YOU recognise THIS gas station??!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JeremyG
post 7th May 2018 16:58
Post #39 | Print

1.4 16v

Ha - yes, I do recognise that gas station - looks a lot like the BP station in Benson.

Were you down here recently???

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 7th May 2018 09:04) *
Oh!

So, you think BOTH holes are for the siren?

I've never had mine out, so I don't know 'exactly' how it interfaces with those parts.

(In the FIAT Coupť world- there is a silicone membrane 'vent' in exactly the same position, which does indeed have a cabin ventilation functionality- the alarm is under a front wing!

Refitted the alarm unit having covered the siren with cling film to prevent the ingress of water. Works fine, for now...
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 7th May 2018 19:15
Post #40 | Print

1.6 8v

as it happens, I was round your 'manor, as they might have said on The Bill, yesterday, during my hilarious Bournemouth to Birmingham oddessy.

Fuel was required with 80 miles to go, and we happened to stop at Oxford.

I like to think somebody might have spotted the car and thought; "hmm- I recognise that!?"

But maybe not.

If I hadn't been with company, and had had more time, I might have been in touch to make a pest of myself on your 'forecourt'...

Back in Edinburgh now- 146.gif didn't miss a beat- despite an hour of stationary traffic on the M6 this afternoon.

(Sorry- I'm hijacking your thread)

All of this should be in brackets...
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26 Sep 2018 08:32