post 29th March 2018 17:05
Post #1 | Print

1.6 8v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 26th September 2018 10:33
Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

Hello team,

Well, imagine my surprise, when, after all I had overcome and 'engineered' through, I discovered that the easiest piece of the whole jigsaw-

*fitting the oil pressure sender to the block*

Was in fact going to be a problem.

I've read a lot about this, and it seems that the only discussions & answers have been for alloy-top PH 1 cars, which have a different arrangement around the thermostat, in terms of pipe work & sensors.
Further reading (from the past) reveals that mystery initially surrounded the retrofit mounting position of such a sensor to our engines, but if you poke your nose into 155-land, you will find they are fitted where our low-oil-pressure switch is.
Round the back, inbetween the stater motor and alternator- underneath the anti-knock sensor.

SO! What do people think about my little problem?; options are;

* I can FORCE the thing into the M10 socket on the block, and just not worry about the immense strain it'll put on the coolant return line to the expansion tank (which it clashes with)

* I can reroute, or modify the coolant return line from the thermostat, to accomodate the size of the sender in position

* I can fit a right-angle coupler between the block and sender (will that affect oil pressure readings?) to move it out of the way

* or I can mount it round the back of the block, where Alfa fitted it in the 155, and then move the low-pressure switch down to the oil-filter housing (where Alfa fitted it on the 155)

Your opinions would be welcome!

This post has been edited by dante giacosa: 29th March 2018 19:13
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Desperado
post 29th March 2018 19:50
Post #2 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 7,540
Driving: 145QV

Theres always something isnt there?

I'd try moving the coolant hose out of the way first but it looks like the steel pipe runs right across the hole?
Adding a 90 fitting wont affect the sensor but you've got to get it pointing the right way just as it starts to tighten and seal. a swivel fitting might be available
If you fit it to the block you could use a tee piece and have the sensor in one side and the switch in the other[ if theres room!!]
Are you using two fittings on the sensor to go from sensor thread to head thread? would a shorter one of the right threads work...
Would a much longer one work? if it was too long vibration might cause an issue.
Can you fit the phase one plumbing in that area?

If it helps, I'll send you my one if you think that might fit - its not doing anything at the moment, Ive made another one with two ports for sensor and switch....

I think Ill be checking mine again tomorrow to make sure there room!

--------------------
Can I start again?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 29th March 2018 21:53
Post #3 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

This is a fastreply chaps. Dante, why don't you ditch the steel return pipe and get a stainless flexihose like I've got. Mine is a ph1 but was a close fit. You can always put rubber washers bungs between to stop any chaffing.

This post has been edited by Ganz: 29th March 2018 21:55

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 30th March 2018 08:22
Post #4 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

Thanks lads- I genuinely hadn't considered either of those scenarios..

Yes- Ive got two inter-series adaptors there to get an initial result (my local engineering place-of-choice has yet to engage with my request).
I've got an M10 x 1.25 male to 1/8" NPT female and then a male 1/8" NPT to M10 x 1.0 female

In the meantime, yes: Desperado; can I see you for that adaptor?

Can we come to an arrangement??

This post has been edited by dante giacosa: 30th March 2018 08:54
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Desperado
post 30th March 2018 14:24
Post #5 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 7,540
Driving: 145QV

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 30th March 2018 09:22) *
Thanks lads- I genuinely hadn't considered either of those scenarios..

Yes- Ive got two inter-series adaptors there to get an initial result (my local engineering place-of-choice has yet to engage with my request).
I've got an M10 x 1.25 male to 1/8" NPT female and then a male 1/8" NPT to M10 x 1.0 female
In the meantime, yes: Desperado; can I see you for that adaptor?

Can we come to an arrangement??

PM me and I'll put it in the post to you...
[personally i think Ganz has the soloution....ive de-rusted and painted the steel pipe, 6 coats of primer & paint later !!!!]

This post has been edited by Desperado: 30th March 2018 14:26

--------------------
Can I start again?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26 Sep 2018 09:33