post 31st May 2018 19:47
Post #1 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Local Time: 19th July 2018 18:21
Member No.: 6,976
Driving: Alfa 145

Well, windscreen to be more accurate.
I recently caught up on many little jobs to fix those little outstanding snags.
Brake light bulb, rear speaker, instrument cluster change, replace fuse for cigarette lighter (for sat nav power), etc, etc.
I knew I shouldnít have been so smug!
Coming back from a concert late at night I put the heater on a touch. Cue a misted up windscreen and a small of antifreeze. Damn it!
So something downstream of the heater valve has let go. Maybe the matrix itself?
Talking to my friendly local mechanic left me in no doubt that he wonít take the job on. He said itís a pain in the a$$ and has wonít touch it. So itís no problem for the next few months but come October ĎI will have a problem Houstoní.
Has anyone any idea of how to get to the matrix? Is it the whole dashboard?
Is a weekend long enough to rip it apart and get it back together again? Iíd rather be out on the motorbike the getting a bad back.
Replies before the end of September please, 8-)
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GROPIUS
post 1st June 2018 06:19
Post #2 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 3,291
Driving: AR 155 24v V6 DTM replica, AR 145 1.8TS

QUOTE(Harpo @ 31st May 2018 20:47) *
Well, windscreen to be more accurate.
I recently caught up on many little jobs to fix those little outstanding snags.
Brake light bulb, rear speaker, instrument cluster change, replace fuse for cigarette lighter (for sat nav power), etc, etc.
I knew I shouldnít have been so smug!
Coming back from a concert late at night I put the heater on a touch. Cue a misted up windscreen and a small of antifreeze. Damn it!
So something downstream of the heater valve has let go. Maybe the matrix itself?
Talking to my friendly local mechanic left me in no doubt that he wonít take the job on. He said itís a pain in the a$$ and has wonít touch it. So itís no problem for the next few months but come October ĎI will have a problem Houstoní.
Has anyone any idea of how to get to the matrix? Is it the whole dashboard?
Is a weekend long enough to rip it apart and get it back together again? Iíd rather be out on the motorbike the getting a bad back.
Replies before the end of September please, 8-)

Good morning,
do you have any coolant on the passenger footwell?
If not your matrix is fine.
Any work on the heater matrix is a dash out jobby.
If you follow the instructions on here its a pretty quick/easy job.
Quite a few screws/bolts to undo thou...
...you might have to take the dash out anyway to investigate.
Have fun/luck

--------------------
www.carbon-parts.co.uk
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 1st June 2018 08:59
Post #3 | Print

1.6 8v

Group: Regular
Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

Hey Harpo;

this quite common is FIAT Coupe circles;

apparently you don't have to have actual 'wetness' on the carpet, to constitute a leak as such. The escaping droplets are vaporising after all.

However, I'm not saying; 'it doest happen' but I don't remember reading about anyone else having this problem in the 145, 146 land.

You 'might' want to look into whether you have some kind of 'water-event' taking place under the scuttle panel, under the windscreen wiper motor..?
It could be (if you've never had this out) that you are driving around with a mulch of wet-leaves covering your fan intake; and that WOULDN'T help.

I'd certainly want to rule that out before tackling the dash...

I think I did a thread on 'scuttle panel clearout' somewhere...

Well done on nailing those other jobs!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Harpo
post 1st June 2018 23:34
Post #4 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 6,976
Driving: Alfa 145

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
So far Iíve only had a look in the engine bay. No signs of new leaks, just old ones haha!
Thanks for the pointers, I will check the footwells this weekend.
I lost coolent when I used the heater, plus the antifreeze smell so itís loo My like a leak. But Iíve never cleaned out leaves from the intake so I will certainly have a look.
This weekend promises to be dry so no excuse not to do some poking around. The old girl is getting older now so the odd leak is to be expected!
Iíve been checking out 147s in case I need one for the winter but Iím not feeling the love for them at all. So similar in many ways and probably a better car but itís not as cool as the 145!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 2nd June 2018 08:23
Post #5 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

QUOTE(Harpo @ 2nd June 2018 00:34) *
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
So far Iíve only had a look in the engine bay. No signs of new leaks, just old ones haha!
Thanks for the pointers, I will check the footwells this weekend.
I lost coolent when I used the heater, plus the antifreeze smell so itís loo My like a leak. But Iíve never cleaned out leaves from the intake so I will certainly have a look.
This weekend promises to be dry so no excuse not to do some poking around. The old girl is getting older now so the odd leak is to be expected!
Iíve been checking out 147s in case I need one for the winter but Iím not feeling the love for them at all. So similar in many ways and probably a better car but itís not as cool as the 145!

147 has a much more complicated suspension arrangement.

No- I always think I should be able to bring myself to love them also, but after I got the 146.gif nothing else seems quite so cool...
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 2nd June 2018 23:18
Post #6 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

I've got a 147 and it's a lot more complex than the 145 in just about every department. Also gearbox trouble with the 147. To be fair before the gearbox failure it has been reliable for the last 5 years with only the crank sensor and one ignition coil failing. 147GTA would be the one I'd buy but prices are now silly. An Alfetta would be nice too.

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19 Jul 2018 17:21