IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phase 1 (TRW2) airbag diagnostics - Solved!, Phase 1 (TRW2) airbag diagnostics - Solved!!!
Ganz
post 3rd August 2018 01:05
Post #1 | Print

1.6 8v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 12th December 2018 05:11
Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

I tried to get to the error code for my airbag light by connecting to the airbag ecu connector inside the dash. Didn't work for me. I had the same message that warned about taking the swabs or something like that out or else..

Also I found that my airbag ecu 60631206 error code cannot be wiped. See GE's past posts below:

"I've just discovered that some of our cars have an obscure airbag ECU fitted called a "TRW2". Cars with this airbag ECU only have a steering wheel airbag (i.e. no passenger or side airbags). The TRW2 airbag ECU apparently can't be connected to, read or cleared with any of the software currently available. The part number of the TRW2 airbag ECU is 60631206 (will be written on the ECU somewhere) so it might be checking if the one you have in your car is actually one of these. If it is then it explains why you're having problems connecting to it using software on your laptop."

"T
he plot thickens. Today I stumbled across some information that suggested it's actually the Becker airbag ECU that needs to be reset using the Pin-3 to ground method and not the TRW2 unit as I suggested in post #28 and #30 of this thread. So maybe the TRW2 airbag ECU can only actually be reset electronically with a diagnostic machine / software. One thing is known for sure which is that the TRW2 definitely cannot be reset with any of the available DIY software and can only be done electronically by a dealer (or possibly manually like the Becker unit although this is still unclear). A successful reset of the TRW2 by a dealer has been confirmed by someone on the UniDiag forum who paid to have theirs done after failing to do it themselves with DIY software."

"..author of FiatECUScan seems to have already confirmed that the TRW2 airbag isn't supported. "

"..If it has part number 60631206 on then it's a TRW2 airbag and not a TRW MY97 or TRW MY99 airbag which are the only ones in a 145/146 that are supported by FiatECUScan (and other DIY software). "

Anyway, I found a really useful link that tells you how to wipe that error. It's a bit long but going to give it a go.

Link
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-andamp-916-spider/336600-phase-1-trw2-airbag-diagnostics-solved.html

TRW2 software:
http://peter-feil.eu/mediawiki/index.php/Trw2scan

Demo on YouTube
TRW2Scan demo.3gp - YouTube

Definitely worth a go - if you have got the time. I'm going to have to go down this route as mine is a TRW2 rant.gif

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 3rd August 2018 06:24
Post #2 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

crikey Ganz,

what a piece of work- good luck with this...!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JeremyG
post 3rd August 2018 07:00
Post #3 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 12,797
Driving: 166 3.0 Sportronic, 145 QV

Hello, I know that article from Alfaowner very well, having had the exact same issue with my own Spider (which is an early model with the troublesome TRW2 airbag ECU).

However - that article is now pretty old (2015), and the good news is that MES subsequently added support for said airbag and I was able to clear the airbag warning light on my car that way without problem.

A few points to note:

1) On the Spider, the TRW2 airbag ECU part number is 60625181. This doesn't look the same as the one you're quoting above, Ganz.

2) A quirk of the Spider installation is that to talk to that airbag ECU, the 3-pin lead needs to be modified to disconnect the L-line. You can do this on the car (the flylead leading to the diagnostic socket) or on your 3-pin lead to your PC. The L-line is connected to the pin "on its own" separated from the other two by the key in the socket. In this little schematic it's the one on the left => o|oo (this will make sense if you look at the plug on your flylead). Just cut the corresponding wire and bingo, your diagnostic software will talk happily to the ECU. I do not know if this applies to the 145 airbag, but you never know...

3) My copy of MES also flashed up the warning about disconnecting the airbag pretensioners and replacing them with squibs (?) before continuing with the reset - I ignored that, and nothing bad happened. I guess there's an outside chance the airbags or pretensioners might be triggered when tinkering this way...

I'm going to be removing the centre console and lower dash on my 145 in the next few days in preparation for floorpan welding so I'll take a look at the airbag setup on my car...

HTH...

This post has been edited by JeremyG: 3rd August 2018 13:52
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 3rd August 2018 12:57
Post #4 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

I'd be very interested to see any footage of the dash coming out of the 145, Jeremy...

and what's left, with it removed...
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JeremyG
post 3rd August 2018 13:58
Post #5 | Print

1.4 16v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 3rd August 2018 13:57) *
I'd be very interested to see any footage of the dash coming out of the 145, Jeremy...

and what's left, with it removed...

Sure, will take photos.

So far I've undone the screws holding the centre console in place and discovered that I probably need to remove both front seats in order to rotate it enough to clear the handbrake. Or remove the lower dashboard first...
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
shpuncik
post 3rd August 2018 20:41
Post #6 | Print

1.4 16v

Local Time: 12th December 2018 07:11
Member No.: 12,980
Driving: 145 1.6 Boxer; 145 1.9JTD Edizione Sportiva

QUOTE(JeremyG @ 3rd August 2018 14:58) *
Sure, will take photos.

So far I've undone the screws holding the centre console in place and discovered that I probably need to remove both front seats in order to rotate it enough to clear the handbrake. Or remove the lower dashboard first...

Can't be sure 100% but I think I didn't remove seats when I was removing mine. I had to slide off handle on handbrake, pulled handbrake up and then lifted center console up at the same time pushing it forward - that gave enough room to slide handbrake through hole and put it into resting position.

But as I've said, I'm not 100% sure. Anyway will be removing it to as need to do some repairs on the dashboard
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 4th August 2018 21:09
Post #7 | Print

1.6 8v

QUOTE(JeremyG @ 3rd August 2018 08:00) *
Hello, I know that article from Alfaowner very well, having had the exact same issue with my own Spider (which is an early model with the troublesome TRW2 airbag ECU).

However - that article is now pretty old (2015), and the good news is that MES subsequently added support for said airbag and I was able to clear the airbag warning light on my car that way without problem.

A few points to note:

1) On the Spider, the TRW2 airbag ECU part number is 60625181. This doesn't look the same as the one you're quoting above, Ganz.

2) A quirk of the Spider installation is that to talk to that airbag ECU, the 3-pin lead needs to be modified to disconnect the L-line. You can do this on the car (the flylead leading to the diagnostic socket) or on your 3-pin lead to your PC. The L-line is connected to the pin "on its own" separated from the other two by the key in the socket. In this little schematic it's the one on the left => o|oo (this will make sense if you look at the plug on your flylead). Just cut the corresponding wire and bingo, your diagnostic software will talk happily to the ECU. I do not know if this applies to the 145 airbag, but you never know...

3) My copy of MES also flashed up the warning about disconnecting the airbag pretensioners and replacing them with squibs (?) before continuing with the reset - I ignored that, and nothing bad happened. I guess there's an outside chance the airbags or pretensioners might be triggered when tinkering this way...

I'm going to be removing the centre console and lower dash on my 145 in the next few days in preparation for floorpan welding so I'll take a look at the airbag setup on my car...

HTH...

Hi mate. Thanks for this. I'm ruining Fiatmultiscan 4.1 registered copy. I noticed that the TRW2 has been supported since version 2.

The information about the L line is useful and I'll check mine. It's an easy mod. The message I get is that I must disconnect the squibs and replace them with resisters. I take it squibs are the airbags. I've only got one air bag on my 145. I disconnected my airbag ecu today and I noticed it has got 20 male pin connectors so slightly different to the video where the guys sticks the resisters in what looks like a female socket.

I suppose I could risk just going ahead with the diagnostics. I'll cover the interior with dust covers just in case it triggers..!

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 3rd August 2018 07:24) *
crikey Ganz,

what a piece of work- good luck with this...!

Cheers. I'll need all the luck on this one blink.gif

This post has been edited by Ganz: 4th August 2018 21:08

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JeremyG
post 5th August 2018 06:45
Post #8 | Print

1.4 16v

QUOTE(Ganz @ 4th August 2018 22:09) *
The information about the L line is useful and I'll check mine. It's an easy mod. The message I get is that I must disconnect the squibs and replace them with resisters. I take it squibs are the airbags. I've only got one air bag on my 145. I disconnected my airbag ecu today and I noticed it has got 20 male pin connectors so slightly different to the video where the guys sticks the resisters in what looks like a female socket.

I suppose I could risk just going ahead with the diagnostics. I'll cover the interior with dust covers just in case it triggers..!
Cheers. I'll need all the luck on this one blink.gif

If you're getting the warning message then it sounds like you're talking to the ECU OK. I reset the error on my Spider ECU this way and it worked fine. And I haven't seen anyone else report that their airbags went off while performing the reset... but I guess there must be some small risk...

This post has been edited by JeremyG: 5th August 2018 06:46
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 5th August 2018 21:45
Post #9 | Print

1.6 8v

QUOTE(JeremyG @ 5th August 2018 07:45) *
If you're getting the warning message then it sounds like you're talking to the ECU OK. I reset the error on my Spider ECU this way and it worked fine. And I haven't seen anyone else report that their airbags went off while performing the reset... but I guess there must be some small risk...

Cheers Gee. I reckon I'm gonna do it. I've also had the ignition light on and traced that to the cam sensor. No way I'm taking cam belts off to replace that. I wipe it but then it comes back.

Tomorrow's gonna be the day for the airbag!!

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12 Dec 2018 05:11