post 1st June 2017 10:13
Post #1 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Local Time: 22nd November 2017 20:59
Member No.: 12,697
Driving: Alfa 145 cloverleaf

Hello all
I must have signed up a year ago when I bought my alfa but never really introduced myself. Ive had my little clover leaf for just over a year now and done various bits and bats with it. I had put the project on hold for a little bit but its sunny again so its time to start using it. I have attached a picture of the car with my brothers Celica at a meet over the weekend.
Things Ive done:
Body work
I have fixed the side skirts so they fit a little better and also they are all there now .
Very bravely started attacking the laquer peel with some isolated repairs. I am more than impressed with the repair which was done with spray cans and a large amount of time and care!
Interior
General tidy up of the leather seats and carpets which now look great.
Interior headliner is an ongoing task. I repair one area and the next area starts to sag. Once thats repaired, the old repair starts to sag.
Engine
Nothing major (touch wood). The car has only done 53k so not bad. I have done nothing but minor servicing. I had thought it was a little sluggish but a quick clean of the MAF seems to have given it a little more on the bottom end.
Exhaust
At the minute the exhaust is a pain. When I bought the car the down pipe was squashed by speed bump damage I assume (previous owner). I changed the downpipe and this made the world of difference! The centre section and back box was an aftermarket part with quite a gorky looking tail pipe. I tried to cut this down and install the standard back box. As you can imagine it never quite sat correctly.

Could anybody advise on a decent cat back system stainless or otherwise? I want to free up the exhaust but don't want something to noisy I can't use the car. There doesn't appear to be a great deal around for these cars anymore.

Alternatively if anybody has a used system they want to sell I'll buy it :-) if it's reasonable

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 1st June 2017 10:25
Post #2 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 22nd November 2017 19:59
Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

Hey Michael,

welcome along!

That's a nice example- but it would be good to get some better shots of it to put up.

53K! What a peach!

whats the bodywork like underneath..?

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Michaelc5086
post 1st June 2017 10:52
Post #3 | Print

1.3 8v

The underside is very good. No issues with rust etc. But the car does have a lot of paint work issues. Also the wheels are looking pretty sorry for themselves. I've attached some more photos but they do have some artistic licence I don't really show it's bad sections!

They also show the old exhaust which I wish I should have left alone untill I found a suitable replacement. My further attempts with the standard back box don't look very tidy. I'm going to try again this weekend. But I am interested in a cat back system as such if I can find a reasonable one.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Michaelc5086
post 2nd June 2017 09:51
Post #4 | Print

1.3 8v

And here's a picture looking sorry for its self
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 2nd June 2017 13:55
Post #5 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

That looks great!

Paintwork stuff is cosmetics though really- by the time I get to paintwork issues- I'll be laughing!

so... N-reg- that's '95..?

you are going to affect the back pressure with an aftermarket exhaust- might lose a bit of power... Depends what you want. Have you tried the breakers on eBay..?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Michaelc5086
post 2nd June 2017 16:30
Post #6 | Print

1.3 8v

Mechanically it still has its little hiccups every now and again. But to be expected it's still an old car. But nothing I couldn't handle.

It's from early 1996 according to the logbook and as far as I can tell the 145 in the reg plate has been there from new. So not sure if alfa intentionally bagged a load of matching reg plates.

I take your point on the exhaust. I put a straight through exhaust on my old gti6 and that helped that car a bit. It did lose a little at the bottom end but that was quite a torquey engine to begin with. The alfa's I feel lack a bit at the bottom (or mine does). But once it's up in the rev range it likes to stay there :-).
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 3rd June 2017 21:01
Post #7 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

Welcome mate. Good to see another 96 vintage on the forum. Headlining.. Reminds me of mine. Once the foam distinergrates no glue will stick to it. Did my headlining and sunroof panel too. Required the disassembly of the interior fittings. Satisfying once it's done. I've done it on my "red devil" thread.

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Michaelc5086
post 4th June 2017 06:04
Post #8 | Print

1.3 8v

Hi matey and thanks for the advice on the headliner. It does feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle :-). It does look a bit of a pain of a job but well worth it.

At the minute it I'll leave it with the repairs. It makes me chuckle looking in the rear view mirror watching it slowly peel away.

Weather permitted I'm tackling the exhaust (trying to tidy it up) and maybe rear brakes today. Might leave the brakes till next time though I'm contemplating doing the rear shocks at the same time. Also the kids won't want to watch me on the car all day. Better take them out somewhere :-).
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22 Nov 2017 19:59