post 22nd December 2016 02:35
Post #1 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: New Member
Local Time: 22nd October 2017 10:37
Member No.: 12,907
Driving: Alf 146 1.4 ts

Hello guys,

my 2000 146 1.4. TS is driving me insane - quite literally. It's smelling of gasoline and exhaust fumes from the engine bay. Part of it happens when it's cold, as it smells really rich (like fuel and some exhaust) in great area around the car (i think the Stat is faulty as it only gets up to temperature in the city and then drops). But the problem also occurs when the windows are opened, as the smell get really bad, like a mixture of rotten eggs, sulfur, gasoline and oil which make me feel numb, nauseous and with trouble breathing. One month ago i felt really bad, so i took the car to a mechanic. He found a couple of exhaust leaks and chassi rotts that he fixed. i then performed a ecu reset which got everything more acceptable, but not well. It's still using too much fuel.

I try to let it heat up idling before the first drive of the day, but it seems it only helps sometimes.

But today, oh, today... the car smelled like hell, especially under heavy acceleration, i had to stop 4 times in a 20 mile ride feeling very unwell (tachycardia, trouble breathing, head numbness, anxiety, kind of numb legs[still are].), even with the vents closed it smells. When i opened the window... it was like trying to gasp air under water (as the outside air smelled even worse). I took a crappy 10€ home CO detector with me in the cabin and the levels were 20~30 ppm. But it's not just the co making me sick.

The Catalytic converter is new but it's universal (fitted by the ex-owner) and the lambda seems new too. So, what can it be? Is it the thermostat, the throttle sensor (idle bounces when i unclutch), the temperature sensor, sparks, fuel leaks, maf, charcoal canister, fuel injectors? What's causing this demonic and unhealthy smell?

I must add that the car seems to be performing ok, apart from a loud exhaust (i think it's because the exhaust manifold is patched at the bottom, but i could be wrong).

I scheduled a ECU diagnose, but it will take 2 weeks to be called in... and i'm assuming nothing will show up, as there is no light on.

I'm almost on the point of giving up on the car, as i cant see and end to this mess.

This post has been edited by eskafiador: 22nd December 2016 02:36
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Antonio
post 23rd December 2016 22:14
Post #2 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Local Time: 22nd October 2017 13:37
Member No.: 12,458
Driving: 146 Boxer 16v, 146 Ti Fl, 145 Qv Fl

Hello!

First thing I would try: disconnect MAF and test the car, check if it improves. Next, connect MAF but disconnect Lambda sensor, check if it improves. I would bet one of those sensor are damaged, making crazy AFR's, then the awful eggs smell because the Cat does not work well and with the risk of becoming damaged. If I were you, I would buy KKL interface and connect to ECU with MultiEcuScan to log Lambda voltage, Maf values...you canīt look only to Ecu errors as a lot of times they are not of help

Also, exhaust leaks before Lambda sensor distorts the readouts of it, so first thing is to know if this is Ok( a clean air filter can help to enrich the mixture and damage the MAF). Also look at fuel leaks under the bonnet.

The engine is CF1 or CF2?

Last thing, were are you from? I live at Spain, but so close to Portugal, maybe we are reasonably next smile.gif . PM me if needed

This post has been edited by Antonio: 23rd December 2016 22:16
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 24th December 2016 17:03
Post #3 | Print

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Local Time: 22nd October 2017 12:37
Member No.: 954
Driving: Alfa 145 QV, Lancia Delta Integrale Evo, SEAT Leon Mk2 FR+ TDI DSG

My biggest concern is why you are getting fumes coming into the car when you are driving at normal speed in a forward direction. Any exhaust fumes should only be coming out the back of the exhaust pipe and left far behind you so you should not be smelling anything inside the car.

If you are getting exhaust fume smells from inside the engine bay which are then finding their way into the interior of the car then this strongly suggests that you have a leak somewhere in the exhaust system. All piping should be completely sealed from the head all the way to the end of the exhaust pipe. You mentioned a dodgy manifold so this is likely to be the prime suspect.

Make sure the exhaust manifold bolts are all fully tightened and that the gasket at the head is sealing properly (if in doubt replace it with a new one). Also check that the gasket at the joint where the manifold attaches to the exhaust pipe is also sealing properly (again, if in doubt replace it with a new one).

Then check each of the other exhaust pipe joints one at a time. Any flange connections should have a sealing "ring" inside and the sleeve connections should have a tight fitting U-bolt clamping them together. It won't hurt to use some exhaust sealing compound in any suspect joints.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
sanitary
post 26th December 2016 14:28
Post #4 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Member No.: 662
Driving: in front of you

^^^

What he says

but I would suspect Cat and check the connections for leaks on this

san
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
eskafiador
post 2nd January 2017 00:18
Post #5 | Print

1.3 8v

QUOTE(Antonio @ 23rd December 2016 21:14) *
Hello!

First thing I would try: disconnect MAF and test the car, check if it improves. Next, connect MAF but disconnect Lambda sensor, check if it improves. I would bet one of those sensor are damaged, making crazy AFR's, then the awful eggs smell because the Cat does not work well and with the risk of becoming damaged. If I were you, I would buy KKL interface and connect to ECU with MultiEcuScan to log Lambda voltage, Maf values...you canīt look only to Ecu errors as a lot of times they are not of help

Also, exhaust leaks before Lambda sensor distorts the readouts of it, so first thing is to know if this is Ok( a clean air filter can help to enrich the mixture and damage the MAF). Also look at fuel leaks under the bonnet.
The engine is CF1 or CF2?
Last thing, were are you from? I live at Spain, but so close to Portugal, maybe we are reasonably next smile.gif . PM me if needed

I came back from the official Alfa Dealer. No codes apparently. They said that the spark plugs are in need of change (one of them is not even adequate for the car) and only then will they proceed with the diagnosis. They say it may be the cause of the smell. Are they right?
Apart from that they refused to proceed... and i paid 50€ to hear that.

Where do i buy one of these KKL interfaces? Can i connect it to a laptop? In my area it's difficult to find anyone that uses ecu diagnosis.

Th engine is the CF2. I'm from Portugal, but i live in the Azores (mid Atlantic sea). ^^

QUOTE(GialloEvo94)
All piping should be completely sealed from the head all the way to the end of the exhaust pipe. You mentioned a dodgy manifold so this is likely to be the prime suspect.

Make sure the exhaust manifold bolts are all fully tightened and that the gasket at the head is sealing properly (if in doubt replace it with a new one). Also check that the gasket at the joint where the manifold attaches to the exhaust pipe is also sealing properly (again, if in doubt replace it with a new one).

Then check each of the other exhaust pipe joints one at a time. Any flange connections should have a sealing "ring" inside and the sleeve connections should have a tight fitting U-bolt clamping them together. It won't hurt to use some exhaust sealing compound in any suspect joints.

I'll ask the mechanics to check that too.

I think i might change plugs, manifold gasket, distribution kit, variator, thermostat and other bits and pieces and sea if it improves. What do you guys think?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
eskafiador
post 4th January 2017 00:11
Post #6 | Print

1.3 8v

Just got a new symptom. The car whines at low speeds and whines a lot when moving the steering wheel (left or right). The PS fluid level is ok, but the gearbox is leaking some oil trough the seal (says the mechanic). Some mud guard is also torn, he said.

Should i change both oils and see if it improves or is it the PS pump (or maybe transmission) dying?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 7th January 2017 22:03
Post #7 | Print

1.6 8v

Group: Regular
Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

I had a similar problem. Mine was a tiny hole in the exhaust. It's amazing g how much co2 gets in the cab. I had the hole welded up. Once I ran over a plastic carrier bag and it melted on the exhausted. I had the burnt plastic smell for at least three weeks before it went.

Check holes in exhaust or anything that you may have run over like a rodent.

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22 Oct 2017 11:37