langers
post 30th January 2010 20:34
Post #1 | Print

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderator
Local Time: 20th February 2018 05:29
Member No.: 3,059
Driving: Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 1.4 TFSI COD

When i first got my Black 145, it was scratched to bu**ery.

Here she is when i first got her, dull, grey bumpers etc
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Using this method, i restored the paint work and ensured it stayed in a tip-top condition.

Step 1 - Jet Wash
I started by taking the car to the nearest jet wash. Jet washed the car down, get in the arches etc and gave it general clean. This is to get as much grit and particals off the car as possible.

Step 2 - Preperation
Next, drive home, avoiding any puddles, dusty roads etc
Once home, hose the car down and ensure she is dripping wet. Using an old spray bottle, i made a concentrated shampoo solution.
Go round the lower half of the car, lower half of the doors, bumpers etc spraying the solution. Then proceed to the next step. This gives it chance to lift any remaining particals and stains etc.
Attached Image

Step 3 - Water + Shampoo
Using 2 buckets, fill one with luke warm water, fill the other with luke warm water and a shampoo of your choice. Soak a cotton / lambs wool or microfibre wash mitt in the solution. (The one pictured was dirty, it was drying off on the line before washing)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Step 4 - Washing the car
Rinse the car again with the hose. Using the 2 buckets and wash mitt, go round the car washing each panel and rinsing once done. Collect the soapy water and suds with the mitt, wash the panel and rinse the mitt in the plain water bucket. This prevents gritt being transfered back on to the mitt and scratching the paint work.
Once finished, hose the car again to ensure that all suds have been rinsed away.

Step 5 - Drying the car
Dry the car using a Waffle drying towel. Place the towel on the panels and pull it across. If you do not have a drying towel, use a couple of micro fibres. Once the main areas of the panels are dry, use a microfibe to dry the door seals, bottom of the boot lid etc.
Again, here is my trying towel pictured however, (it was dirty and just trying off on the line before washing)
Attached Image

Step 6 - Cleaning the wheels
Cleaning the wheels. For this, as the wheels were in such a state, i used "Wonder Wheels". Be careful when using this stuff, ensure you dont inhale the fumes of it and try not to get it on your hands. It is nasty stuff! Only use this once in a blue moon if brake dust is built up and a normal wheels cleaner cant remove it.
Spray the wonder wheels on to the wheel, aggitate using the brush provided. Leave it for a minute to prenetrate. Then rinse off.
Now, using a different wash mitt than that you wash the car with, clean the wheels again using the soapy water from step 4. Rinse and dry using a microfibe.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Step 7 - Yearly care for the paint **Optional**
As i knew that paint work had never really been cared for, i thought it wouldnt be a bad idea to clay it.
This is a putty which works together with the quik detailer to lift contaniments stuck to the surface of the paint which a normal wash cant get. Kneed the putting in-between your fingers, spray the quick detailer onto the surface of the panel (This acts as lubricant) and rub the panel using the putty. You will find that it will resist to being moved around, use plenty of quik detailer and rub the putty back and forth in straight lines. Gradually the suface will become easier and easier to slide across. Once finished, wipe down with a good microfibre. Use the back of your hand and gently pass it over the panel, it should feel like a glass smooth. Continue this on the desirded panels.
Attached Image

Step 8 - For Scratches and Heavy swirls **Optional**
Time to remove heavy swirls and scratches. For this, i use standard T Cut. I tried the Black colour match T cut which turned the paint hazey etc. I recomend staying with the standard T cut. Apply this using a polishing pad, using a light amount of pressure, work the T cut into the scratches. This will normally take around 3 mins for a 30x30cm area. Once finished, buff off using a microfibe. Now, be carefull when using this as it does cut the paint. If used ALOT it will make the paint thinner and thinner and you could risk strike through to the paint layer. This is not good! Just use a bit of common sense.
Attached Image
Attached Image

This then took me to this stage...Recovered quite a bit, but still a bit blemished.
Attached Image

Step 9 - Polising, fill those swirls
I use Auto Glym's Super Resin Polish as it contains alot of fillers. This fills the swirls to leave a brilliant finish, however, it does have its downsides. Try and keep it away from plastics as it will turn them white and it tends to leave a dusty sheen when finished.
Apply this using a polishing pad, using a light amount of pressure, work the polish into the paint. This will normally take around 3 mins for a 30x30cm area. Once finished, buff off using a microfibe. Give this 2 or 3 hits depending on how shiney you want the car. (For this session i gave it 3 hits)
Attached Image

Step 10 - Sealing - Waxing
Alot of people just leave it at Step 9. With Super Resin Polish (SRP), the sun light breaks it down quickly and so you should really seal it in.
I recomend using a product called RaceGlaze: Crém Perfection. This has a polish and wax combined. Ensure you shake it well first as with any polish. Apply it to the paint using the same method as above.

After all of the above steps were completed, im proud to say, this is what it left me with!

Attached Image

Step 11 - Waxing **Optional**
If you get really bored! you can seal in the polish properly by using a hard wax. I have only done this twice using Dodo Juice: Blue Velvet. It gives me the same results as step 10 but lasts slightly longer. You can apply this by either using an application pad or with your fingers. Leave it to cure for a while, something like 30mins....or just when you are finished smelling it! Then buff off using a microfibre.
Attached Image

Step 12 - Glass
I use Auto Glyms Fast Glass. Spray the liquid on to the windows, wipe using a mircofibre across the window. Turn the microfibre and wipe again until dry. I also do this on the inside every time i was the car. Use this on the highlights, tail lights, windows and mirrors. I have also used it on the number plates a couple of times.
Attached Image

Step 13 - Black Trim & Tyre Dressing
I use a product from Turtle Wax, Black Flash. This is a white Gel. Using an aplication pad, tip some of the gel on to the pad, spread this and work it in to any black plastic trimings such as, wing mirror base plates, plastic bumper inserts, rub strips, door seals, boot seals, roof seals and on to the tyre walls on the wheels. Once applied and worked in to the area leave it for a couple of minutes to penertrate, then wipe off the excess using a mircofibre. Be careful not to get this on the paint work. If you do, buff off using a fresh mircofibre.
Attached Image

Step 14 - Wheel Wax
I am still trialing wheel waxes, but the best i have found so far is acutally the Halfords Alloy Wheel Protector.
Spray this on to the wheel and work it in. Once done, wipe off any excess using a clean mircofibre. This will protect the wheel from brake dust eating in to the metal etc. It will also make it alot easier when washing next.
Attached Image

Step 15 - Polishing Metal - Exhaust Tip
For this, i use Autosol's Metal polish. Put some of the cream on to an application pad and work it in to the desired area such as the exhaust tip. The more you work it in, the shinier it gets! Once finished, wipe off the excess and continue to buff using a clean mircofibre.
Attached Image

Now, stand back and amire. Dont drive her, just put her in the garage or put a car cover over tongue.gif Thats my method anyway!

Hope you like it and hope you give it a try and see what you think!

Here are a couple of shiney pictures and my collection of cleaning products. (I have mass amounts of products in the shed which i top up the smaller bottles with.) Please note that i do not use sponges, there is only 1 in the picture as it came in a gift pack. NEVER USE A SPONGE!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Step 16 - Cleaning the Cloths

To clean the mirco fibres, wash mitt, application pads etc. Fill a bucket up with luke warm water, put a few squirts of washing up liquid in. This breaks down the polish. Rinse them through the bucket, squeezing them out and ringing them etc. DO NOT do this to the drying towel. Just rinse this out with normal warm water.
THEN, put them in the washing machine, 40degrees, just water. Dont put any powders or softners in. Put everything you have used in and put it on a normal wash.
Then for drying, just hang them out!
Job done!

--------------------

'96 Purple 145 QV died from rust - '98 Blue Junior SOLD - '99 Red 145 QV 20VT SOLD - '97 145 QV Track Tart SOLD
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
aamrit
post 30th January 2010 20:46
Post #2 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 20th February 2018 06:29
Member No.: 327
Driving: Ph2 QV

Langers, Ive said it before and I'll say it again.

Your car looks top notch. Saw it when you first did it and was impressed at how you sorted your paintwork out.

Doing mine soon as I can see loads of swirls under the yellow glow of the street light.

Well done fella!

--------------------
------------------------------------
Freelance Graphic & Web Design
www.anilamrit.co.uk
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
langers
post 30th January 2010 21:41
Post #3 | Print

Forum Moderator

Thanks buddy!

Doing that took me a FULL DAY in summer. 9am until around 6pm. Well chuffed with the results though!

--------------------

'96 Purple 145 QV died from rust - '98 Blue Junior SOLD - '99 Red 145 QV 20VT SOLD - '97 145 QV Track Tart SOLD
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
NaanBread
post 31st January 2010 04:54
Post #4 | Print

1.8 16v

Group: Veteran
Member No.: 4,404
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 1999 - Mercedes Benz Vito 110

ur car is top notch! iv seen it and mine will by like that one day biggrin.gif but i kno some of u guys wont be able get some of the stuff my dad does... he uses stainless steal cleaner and it is emense!!! makes the wheels so clean! but the problem is its only available to commercial use smile.gif so i had some of this treatment yesterday and my alloys are supper clean....

the problem is i do over 300 miles a wee,k, i will try and clay my car to remove any preveious dirt from dirty owners (c*cks)

so its all good! i hate people who dont wash ther cars (everyone i kno) haha f**kin car wash s**t bo****ks! qwho the f**k does tht the lazy w**kers!

--------------------
'You know you're a true petrol head when you've had to buy parts for your Alfa'
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
NaanBread
post 31st January 2010 04:55
Post #5 | Print

1.8 16v

i would like to state everytrhing is rather shaky right now! sorry rick! biggrin.gif omg just seen the time and its bed time

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
langers
post 31st January 2010 11:14
Post #6 | Print

Forum Moderator

I think somebody was a little drunk...

--------------------

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
930Tech
post 15th March 2010 22:49
Post #7 | Print

1.8 16v

Group: Banned Member
Member No.: 2,328
Driving: 145 1.8

Naanbread your posts in this section are epic. thumbsup.gif

roflmao.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
NaanBread
post 15th March 2010 23:44
Post #8 | Print

1.8 16v

god how late are u at replying to threads laugh.gif

i must apologise cos its so embarresing! i need to stay away from my laptop when i get home biggrin.gif

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
fer145
post 18th March 2010 00:21
Post #9 | Print

1.4 16v

Local Time: 20th February 2018 08:29
Member No.: 2,906
Driving: 145QV Zender Nero / 147GTA Rosso

Excelent!!!!1 worshippy.gif I Want with my 145.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
ALFACOOL
post 18th March 2010 19:28
Post #10 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 174
Driving: 159 ti

Just seen this, dont Know how i missed it. oops.gif
Great cleaning guide Langers.
And your bella looks brill. thumbup.gif

--------------------
Alfa Romeo cars are fitted with high performance engines derived from their strong racing heritage.It is therefore important to check your oil level regularly,maintaining the correct level using the recommended lubricant, as stipulated in the handbook.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
langers
post 18th March 2010 21:11
Post #11 | Print

Forum Moderator

thankingyou!

--------------------

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
mgrv8boy
post 24th March 2010 09:11
Post #12 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: New Member
Member No.: 4,921
Driving: 146ti

just a couple of points on detailing, I also run an MG RV8 which has very soft laquer and scratches very easily and shows those annoying little swirls if you are not careful.
1. I never use mits for washing as they collect grit like a sponge I use a broom, yes a broom, find a very soft broom with a wooden head and nylon bristles the softest ones you can find the sort for cleaning tile floors indoors. then beat the living c**p out of the bristle ends with a hammer until the ends are all split and fluffy. It won't scratch your paintwork as the nylon is softer than the paint and any grit/dirt stays in the bristles away from the paint it also gets into those annoying little hard to reach places such as the gaps between bumpers and wings, another bonus is no bending to wash the bottom or reaching to do the roof. cheapy shops are the best place to find them for a couple of quid.
2. The best stuff for removing swirls is Mequiars scratch- x its not as course as t-cut and doesn't leave residue, I actually only use Mequiars products NXT wax, CLAY, SPEED DETAILER as they dont leave residue on plastic etc.
3. Alloys- I use a silicone spray on the tyres to keep them looking new, cockpit spray, back to black etc any thing thats cheap as it doesn't give that horrid shiny look that you get from tyre black they just look like new tyres. I then spray a small amount onto the wheels, the brake dust then sticks to this not your wheels and can be washed off with your normal wash and you dont have to use acid wheel cleaners or abrasives to remove baked on brake dust.

This post has been edited by mgrv8boy: 24th March 2010 09:14
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GTV sean
post 8th April 2013 19:43
Post #13 | Print

1.4 16v

Local Time: 20th February 2018 07:29
Member No.: 8,240
Driving: 3.0 24V GTV + 3.0 24V GTV and 145 QV phase 2

Gentleman! biggrin.gif

I've posted a few times on this forum and I'm starting to see some familiar names on here.. I have a black 145 QV that a few of you have seen and the previous owner didn't really care much for the paintwork so now I'm working my little a$$ off trying to improve it but wait for this one...............I'm entering it into the Concourse here in our alfa club but this is my 1st concourse and the 145 needs a little bit of improvement..

I'm asking the polishing enthusiasts to reply here please! worshippy.gif

i sadly don't really have access to all those Meguiars products but I have the Carnauba wax and the tin of cleaning wax with the applicator in the lid..

I'll post a picture of what my car looks like now after a hard polish!

Thanks guys!
Sean pappap.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
langers
post 8th April 2013 20:10
Post #14 | Print

Forum Moderator

What can you get your hands on to cut the paintwork like T cut? Have you got some close up photos of the paint work? WITHOUT any polish etc...

--------------------

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GTV sean
post 9th April 2013 05:55
Post #15 | Print

1.4 16v

I will take a few photo's for you this afternoon when I get home but I'm not really sure what T-cut is to be honest? It is like a paint restorer? I'm not really sure what we get down here unsure.gif

--------------------

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
kirk46
post 9th April 2013 07:43
Post #16 | Print

1.7 16v

Member No.: 4,885
Driving: 98 146 junior, 03 147 GTA

QUOTE(GTV sean @ 9th April 2013 06:55) *
I will take a few photo's for you this afternoon when I get home but I'm not really sure what T-cut is to be honest? It is like a paint restorer? I'm not really sure what we get down here unsure.gif

i wouldn't touch T-cut...

theres far better products out there now smile.gif

ive been machine polishing the GTA over the last few days... wink.gif

post some pics, close ups of the paint work

here is a 50/50 shot of the GTA's bonnet after a machine polish, you can see the swirl marks on the left

and the final finish wink.gif

This post has been edited by kirk46: 9th April 2013 10:06

--------------------
R.I.P 146 :(

QUOTE(groovylee @ 13th August 2011 08:41) *
(easy naan, the other type of helmet :lol:)

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GTV sean
post 9th April 2013 08:10
Post #17 | Print

1.4 16v

Wow sis it just my PC screen or has the depth of color changed a lot! clapping.gif

I have a few semi deep scratches on my bonnet but some light scratches along the sides from people walking passed and scratching it with their jeans etc.. I will definitely send photos this afternoon and post them tonight.

I recently polished the car with meguiars cleAner wax and it has made a significant difference.

--------------------

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GTV sean
post 9th April 2013 18:37
Post #18 | Print

1.4 16v

I havent got a pic of the paintwork in its raw state but I have one photo of a light scratch made from someones pants or something?

I had a look in an automotive shop and the only revival polish they had was Wynns Revive? Not really sure if thats the same as T-cut?

--------------------

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GTV sean
post 10th April 2013 06:17
Post #19 | Print

1.4 16v

sorry guys best I could do when I got home.. Its becoming winter on this side so it becomes dark just as I get home unsure.gif
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
kirk46
post 10th April 2013 07:12
Post #20 | Print

1.7 16v

Member No.: 4,885
Driving: 98 146 junior, 03 147 GTA

that is a bad scratch sad.gif

--------------------
R.I.P 146 :(

QUOTE(groovylee @ 13th August 2011 08:41) *
(easy naan, the other type of helmet :lol:)

View Vehicles
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20 Feb 2018 05:29