post 7th May 2019 14:39
Post #1 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Local Time: 24th May 2019 07:56
Member No.: 13,545
Driving: 145 2.0 '96 Cloverleaf

...after a previous owner hack-job?

Basically, I am at the point now on my restoration where it might be a good time (with summer coming) to have working aircon. Here is the current situation:

- I have replaced the aircon compressor as the bearing was shot
- The charging hose was broken at the fill spout. I had the broken-off bit and got it welded back on.. seems like it will be gas-tight
- Upon replacing the engine radiator I found the aircon condenser was in a similarly poor condition, and have replaced it with a brand new one
- Because the system was left open to the elements for a long time because of the broken hose, I have fitted a new dryer
- The aircon button can be pressed and the 'on' indicator lights but obviously it is not running... there is no refrigerant in the system

Then there are the connectors. The one from the compressor (single pin) seems to go nowhere. There is a 2 pin connector on the engine bay bulkhead but it looks like it has been shunted. Wonder if this is what is fooling the aircon button to light the LED that shows the system is running...

Here is the 'shunt':
Attached Image

And here is the compressor (I think the 'electromagnetic joint') connector:
Attached Image

And finally the radiator fan fuse + relay (doesn't seem factory original)...
Attached Image

Can anybody help put the pieces of the puzzle together?! I have looked at the car technical manual and the section on the aircon is a bit of a mess. Lots of different models, revisions and connector types.

Cheers!
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
VROOM
post 7th May 2019 18:47
Post #2 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Member No.: 13,153
Driving: BRERA, GIULIETTA, 145QV

I've just had a quick look at mine (not that it works). I don't have the bracket and cables that you have on the bulkhead or the fuse and cables under the slam panel. I did spot the connector in your second photo which has a plug that disappears somewhere under the plastic engine top. Do you think somebody has messed around putting fuses and cables in to try and fix it? Although mine is a phase 2 so maybe it is different.
Attached Image
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
145man
post 7th May 2019 19:36
Post #3 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 7,459
Driving: 145QV & Alfasud TiQV

I changed mine completely with the aircon from a phase 2 GTV -2 litre twin spark. A lot of work but works brilliantly.
The original aircon leaked badly and due to aluminium and steel nut and bolt fittings welding themselves together, removing original components was not an option. It also made second hand parts impossible to source, I went down the GTV route because the components fit together differently (particularly at the evaporator end) and can be undone easily, the direction round the engine bay is also the same. Because the chassis is similar the parts fit perfectly under the battery tray etc.
Iirc you will need second hand hoses from a GTV (sourced from Clover Breakers), a condenser radiator, a drier and an evaporator for a GTV. I also used a hose that came from a 156 to attach to the condenser lower fitting to the drier, due to fitting being the other way up - the hose is longer so can be manipulated to fit. (If you compare the 145 condenser to a GTV you will see what I mean).
All told cost no more than a couple of hundred quid, but worth every penny to have ice cold working aircon!!!, as I said though it is a lot of work.
Cheers maybe of help
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
donutty
post 8th May 2019 06:47
Post #4 | Print

1.3 8v

QUOTE(VROOM @ 7th May 2019 19:47) *
I've just had a quick look at mine (not that it works). I don't have the bracket and cables that you have on the bulkhead or the fuse and cables under the slam panel. I did spot the connector in your second photo which has a plug that disappears somewhere under the plastic engine top. Do you think somebody has messed around putting fuses and cables in to try and fix it? Although mine is a phase 2 so maybe it is different.

Cheers. The 2 pin connector on the bulkhead does seem to go into it properly and is a proper AMP JPT connector so looks legit. P.S. Ignore the thick red cable - that was the + supply direct from the battery to a big amp in the boot from a previous installation. It was satisfying ripping that out!!!

All that I have managed to suss so far from the wiring diagram is that the connector on the compressor (Q11) goes to the Electromagnetic Coupling Relay Q22 which is in turn switched by the ECU.
So I'll have to trace that back and re-make the connection.

And maybe that 2 pin connector on the bulkhead is a red-herring?

This post has been edited by donutty: 8th May 2019 06:58
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
donutty
post 13th May 2019 12:57
Post #5 | Print

1.3 8v

Thanks guys.

I have taken a closer look at the wires in that mystery connector - from aircon wiring diagrams for 145 TS, lightblue-red and red are key operated 12V and 12V direct battery respectively.

The shunt is bridging the two so whatever needed to only be operated by the ignition on is now permanently live. The diagram also suggests that the switched (lightblue-red) could go to the engine fan 1st speed relay, so this would be getting 12V all the time. An attempt by bodgy previous owner to let the fan run when the ignition is off??

Attached Image

I suppose I could be brave and pull the shunt link off and see what stops working...
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
donutty
post 13th May 2019 20:56
Post #6 | Print

1.3 8v

OK, so more digging reveals a brown wire which is the right length to reach the compressor electromagnetic joint connector. It was tucked away in the bundle, the connector long gone. Diagrams show that this brown wire is the one!

Also, there was this 2 pin connector, unused from the factory I think as it had a proper cover on it:

Attached Image

Anybody else got this or know what it is for??
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24 May 2019 06:56