SteveG
post 10th September 2018 21:31
Post #1 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Local Time: 17th October 2018 02:13
Member No.: 11,186
Driving: 145 QV

Has anyone done this? Manual says rotate the pins 90 degrees anti-clockwise - mine wont move, even with locking grips.

Any advice/tips appreciated

TIA

Steve
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 15th September 2018 20:05
Post #2 | Print

1.6 8v

Group: Regular
Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

QUOTE(SteveG @ 10th September 2018 22:31) *
Has anyone done this? Manual says rotate the pins 90 degrees anti-clockwise - mine wont move, even with locking grips.

Any advice/tips appreciated

TIA

Steve

This is a PITA job. Did mine last year. It took ages as I didn't want to break anything. One headrest in particular put up quite a resistance. I wrapped the pin in cloth to protect it against the stillsons!!! Even with cloth wrapped around it left 'grip' marks but you can't really see them. Molegrips didn't work as they didn't have enough leverage. The Stillsons are two foot long. Resistance was futile tongue.gif

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
SteveG
post 16th September 2018 08:34
Post #3 | Print

1.3 8v

QUOTE(Ganz @ 15th September 2018 21:05) *
This is a PITA job. Did mine last year. It took ages as I didn't want to break anything. One headrest in particular put up quite a resistance. I wrapped the pin in cloth to protect it against the stillsons!!! Even with cloth wrapped around it left 'grip' marks but you can't really see them. Molegrips didn't work as they didn't have enough leverage. The Stillsons are two foot long. Resistance was futile tongue.gif

Thank for the help Ganz - I'll have a go with the stillsons later today - though mine are defo not 2 foot! I have the headrests all the way down, so marks won't show, but i'll still use a cloth or something to protect the pins.
Cheers
Steve
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
SteveG
post 17th September 2018 20:42
Post #4 | Print

1.3 8v

Pleased to say I managed to remove the headrest – stillsons would not grip at all with a cloth protecting the pins from damage, so tried the locking pliers again and success! I guess it was just confidence to push that bit harder.

So the reason I needed to remove the headrest was to fit a seatbelt clip (see photos below). I’ve been having problems with my right shoulder and find it very painful to reach for the belt, not helped by having the seat a long way forward! I’d seen Spiders with this sort of thing fixed to the seat (the 124 has them), so was looking around for something. Found this on a well-known auction site, for BMW/MINI, it is adjustable, but no dimensions provided, so I thought I’d take a gamble on it fitting. It didn’t – too short by 30mm.

So after a bit of thought, I bought some 6mm aluminium bar, cut to size. I tried to create the grooves using a pillar drill as a lathe and a needle file – sort of worked but didn’t ‘click’ into place like the original, so a blob of epoxy is holding it in place. And Bob’s your mothers brother!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17 Oct 2018 01:13