IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Auxiliary belt woes, Cambelt cover bolts.. Aaaarrrrgh!
Ganz
post 4th February 2018 21:53
Post #1 | Print

1.6 8v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 18th June 2018 23:47
Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

Last Saturday I was on my way home when I heard and felt some trashing that I thought came from the 145. I pulled over and inspected the underside and engine bay and there was no evidence of anything out of place. The following day I decided to go for a 35 mile drive. When I got to my destination I pulled over and decided to take some photos.

Attached Image

As I was admiring my new Nankangs but at the same time the winter crud the 145 is covered with..

Attached Image

Getting nearer the engine bay.

Attached Image

Looking down at the engine bay I spotted what looked like half an auxiliary belt left blink.gif

So, that was what I had heard the day before. Never mind I thought. If I got this far on half a belt I could get home on half a belt. How wrong I was ohyes.gif

Around 5 miles later after hawling ass by some slow coaches I felt what sounded like an earthquake under the bonnet but I had nowhere to pull over. Eventually after having driven through the noise I pulled over to inspect the belt. Wow, there was just a strand left. Probably around 3mm in diameter and all twisted but still on the pulleys. With only this amount left it was certain the belt would give up before I would have gotten home. Now, it is still possible to drive without powersteering but as I had only about an hour of daylight left time was running out. Incredibly, the final strands of belt kept going for 10 miles before the battery light came on the dash. Still with 20 miles to go I was also low on petrol. Wasn't sure if there would be enough power from the battery to turn the starter over but it did. The alarm went crazy for while but a double click on the fob and it was gone. Made it back in the dusk but safe and dry at home.

What had happened was the auxiliary belt was chaffing against the cambelt cover which had the bottom middle section missing so was sticking out a bit. I had patched it over with some plastic and this also was rubbing on the belt. So, I had ordered a replacement cambelt cover from Autolusso and a new Dayco belt from Alfa Workshop.

Attached Image

The missing section and my patch which worked for nearly 4 months.
To get the cambelt cover off was a real bitch of a job rant.gif There are the two Allen bolts towards the bulkhead which too over 2 hours to remove. There is little room for tools or a human hand to get at those b**gers.

Attached Image

The replacement cover with the bottom hole which mine didn't have as it snapped off at some point in the past. What a nightmare to put this on. Twice I had lost grip of the Allen bolts and they fell onto the engine. As i was trying to get at the bolt it fell in to a deeper crevice. In the end I had to take off the whole cambelt cover. This happened twiceAttached Image

Attached Image

A chance to inspect the cambelts since last October.

Attached Image

All looks good.

Attached Image

Finally. I'd got the cambelt cover on. Checked for clearance and all looks good. The fitting of the auxiliary belt took just 15 minutes of the 6 hour job!

Hands are bloodied, battered, bruised and numb with cold. My back, legs and knees are shotAttached Image

Hey, I'm not going to let one bad day destroy my passion for Alfas biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Ganz: 4th February 2018 21:57

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Desperado
post 4th February 2018 22:54
Post #2 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 7,540
Driving: 145QV

Been there recently...Last summer, last day of hols, belt broke.

It was the crank pulley not fitted properly, the locating dowel was damaged and the pulley was running out of true. I didnt notice this straight away, and went through another belt quickly. the next belt was the right part number but was an inch short. Finally got the pulley sorted and got another belt, changed all the pulleys and tensioner as well as I didnt want to go back in there!

Now the PS pump is squeaking rant.gif so I was back in there last w/e to find which of the pulleys was noisy..

For the tensioner I've now bought a long series 15mm [ratchet/ring combination spanner]

The route of the belt is a maze too!

Worth it tho....

Attached Image
This is vital for an aux belt change, I still needed someone to hold the spanner fully over while I fitted the belt...

This post has been edited by Desperado: 4th February 2018 23:14

--------------------
Can I start again?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 4th February 2018 23:16
Post #3 | Print

1.6 8v

QUOTE(Desperado @ 4th February 2018 22:54) *
Been there recently...Last summer, last day of hols, belt broke.

It was the crank pulley not fitted properly, the locating dowel was damaged and the pulley was running out of true. I didnt notice this straight away, and went through another belt quickly. the next belt was the right part number but was an inch short. Finally got the pulley sorted and got another belt, changed all the pulleys and tensioner as well as I didnt want to go back in there!

Now the PS pump is squeaking rant.gif so I was back in there last w/e to find which of the pulleys was noisy..

For the tensioner I've now bought a long series 15mm [ratchet/ring combination spanner]

The route of the belt is a maze too!

Worth it tho....

Yeah, I've got one of those thin 15mm ring spanners. You really need them. My trouble was I had to replace the whole cambelt cover. Once I'd done that replacing the Aux belt took around 15 mins to get on. I used a block of wood under the 15mm spanner to get the maximum clearance so I could use two hands to get the belt on. Worked a treat.

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 5th February 2018 10:28
Post #4 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

satan-on-a-bus, Ganz; what a nightmare...

you did well to identify and get through that.

The aux belts of these things can lead to a load of pain; you did really well to get home I think.

In FIAT Coupe land- the classic scenario is for the aux belt to fail and then to be ingested by the neighbouring timing belt, which of course rips off in turn and tries to destroy the engine. Somebody made a flanged flywheel to attempt to keep them apart in this instance. It might actually fit the 145 / 6.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 5th February 2018 18:53
Post #5 | Print

1.6 8v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 5th February 2018 10:28) *
satan-on-a-bus, Ganz; what a nightmare...

you did well to identify and get through that.

The aux belts of these things can lead to a load of pain; you did really well to get home I think.
In FIAT Coupe land- the classic scenario is for the aux belt to fail and then to be ingested by the neighbouring timing belt, which of course rips off in turn and tries to destroy the engine. Somebody made a flanged flywheel to attempt to keep them apart in this instance. It might actually fit the 145 / 6.

Must admit nothing gets you focused and in the present moment when you've got no auxiliary power sad.gif
It would have been unlucky if the belt had squeezed through the tiny section of the cambelt cover. I'd dodged a bullet perhaps. Replacement cover is spot on. Even if the aux belt snaps it won't touch the cambelts. One of the tell tale signs of a imminent belt failure are lots of fine fibres. Around 7 years ago the aux belt tensioner pulley failed and the aux belt came off. I managed to drive back home at night . The belt itself was fine. The tensioner pulley bearing had collapsed. To be fair the tensioner was probably 15 years old.

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 5th February 2018 22:43
Post #6 | Print

1.6 8v

"Streuth"

It sounds like that experience in itself, was some kind of preparation for getting through what just happened to you

Well played anyway...

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 5th February 2018 22:50
Post #7 | Print

1.6 8v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 5th February 2018 22:43) *
"Streuth"

It sounds like that experience in itself, was some kind of preparation for getting through what just happened to you

Well played anyway...

Cheers Dante. Bit embarrasing going to meetings today as my hands look they've been in a bare knuckle fight.

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 6th February 2018 15:32
Post #8 | Print

1.6 8v

That's not embarrassing- that's 'cool'!

"the 1st rule of Fight Club is..."
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JeremyG
post 7th February 2018 17:24
Post #9 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 12,797
Driving: Spider 2.0, 166 3.0 Sportronic

QUOTE(Ganz @ 4th February 2018 23:16) *
Yeah, I've got one of those thin 15mm ring spanners. You really need them. My trouble was I had to replace the whole cambelt cover. Once I'd done that replacing the Aux belt took around 15 mins to get on. I used a block of wood under the 15mm spanner to get the maximum clearance so I could use two hands to get the belt on. Worked a treat.

Here's what I use - 15mm cranked spanner plus mole grips for extra leverage... lovely

Attached Image

This post has been edited by JeremyG: 7th February 2018 17:26
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 7th February 2018 21:12
Post #10 | Print

1.6 8v

QUOTE(JeremyG @ 7th February 2018 17:24) *
Here's what I use - 15mm cranked spanner plus mole grips for extra leverage... lovely

Attached Image

Nice. I want to make a tool to get at those torx bolts for the cambelt cover. They were a nightmare rant.gif

This post has been edited by Ganz: 7th February 2018 21:13

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JeremyG
post 9th February 2018 19:14
Post #11 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 12,797
Driving: Spider 2.0, 166 3.0 Sportronic

QUOTE(Ganz @ 7th February 2018 21:12) *
Nice. I want to make a tool to get at those torx bolts for the cambelt cover. They were a nightmare rant.gif

No need - I use this little tool kit, costing less than a fiver from Homebase... the extension was an extra, but it ends up exactly the right length to undo all of those screws on the cambelt cover. And with a ratchet, too.

Tragically, it's one of the most useful tools I've bought - great for removing interior trim panels, door cards, scuttle panels, etc. etc. Definitely a fiver well spent!

Attached Image

Attached Image

This post has been edited by JeremyG: 9th February 2018 19:18
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 11th February 2018 21:44
Post #12 | Print

1.6 8v

I'll certainly have a look at this kit. The difficulty was squeezing a hand between the chassis and cambelt cover. Other prob was that the Ratchet handle wasn't long enough to turn some decent revolutions. Have you used this tool set on your cambelt cover?

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18 Jun 2018 22:47