IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ECU Diagnostics (DIY), A Guide to Connector Locations, Hardware and Software Requirements
FLORIN
post 2nd March 2011 11:30
Post #61 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: New Member
Local Time: 22nd July 2019 04:20
Member No.: 3,002
Driving: alfa romeo 145

I'm coming with new details and a question : so... i bought the euroscan from viaken.pl....and i'm glad because it is working fine.
But, i have a big problem: it is working on my desktop computer that it's a big and heavy stuff, and the question is: if i can buy something like a PCMCIA 2xserial port or a usb-2xserial port emulator, to my laptop which is an Asus X51RL and it doesn't have serial port at all.
Thank you.
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 2nd March 2011 11:59
Post #62 | Print

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Local Time: 22nd July 2019 02:20
Member No.: 954
Driving: Alfa 145 QV, Lancia Delta Integrale Evo, SEAT Leon Mk2 FR+ TDI DSG

QUOTE(FLORIN @ 2nd March 2011 11:30) *
I'm coming with new details and a question : so... i bought the euroscan from viaken.pl....and i'm glad because it is working fine.
But, i have a big problem: it is working on my desktop computer that it's a big and heavy stuff, and the question is: if i can buy something like a PCMCIA 2xserial port or a usb-2xserial port emulator, to my laptop which is an Asus X51RL and it doesn't have serial port at all.

Good news smile.gif Glad you got it working.

Looking at the specifications of your laptop it looks like you have one PCMCIA slot in it. If that is the case then you can use one of the "Dual" Serial I/O PC Cards made by SocketSerial (see this link). These cards do not seem to be very easy to get hold of and most of the sellers seem to be based in the USA or Canada which probably also means expensive shipping charges. The dual cards also cost in the region of ~200 USD which is ~610 RON so very expensive. Some retailer links below...
As buellboy also said earlier, ONLY the SocketSerial PCMCIA cards seem to work as they are real 16-bit serial cards that work 100% in DOS mode. 32-bit serial cards DO NOT work as they have to use some kind of emulation in DOS which is not compatible with the EUROSCAN software.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
FLORIN
post 5th March 2011 13:56
Post #63 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: New Member
Local Time: 22nd July 2019 04:20
Member No.: 3,002
Driving: alfa romeo 145

thank you for your help...yes it is a lit of bit expensive, so i take from a friend a laptop that has 1 serial port on the motherboard(HP-NC6320), and i bought a pcmcia to serial port and i try to see if my DOS is seeing the 2 of the COM ports,and it is not, i think i must have some drivers for DOS. but i haven't.
So i want to see what's happens if i try to load whit DOSBOX,and the results are good until i want to see the ERRORS from my car or something else the laptop it is reboot's.
I try to opened the VISA program with the Microsoft PC Virtual machine but when i try to open the vstart from DOS it's reboot's the machine.
I'm so angry because i don't know other options, but if you have maybe a better VISA 1.83 program or a better PC virtual machine ,please send'it to me
florin_florin78@yahoo.com

I will came with news.
PS. i hope they will be good news. tongue.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
norro
post 14th September 2011 17:35
Post #64 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Member No.: 1,419
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf PH1

quick question regarding the cable...

ive got the 2 part cable now, i just need to know about the little crocodile clips.. are they safe to put on? know it sounds silly, but 12v through a USB... might pop the PC?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 14th September 2011 18:28
Post #65 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(norro @ 14th September 2011 18:35) *
quick question regarding the cable...

ive got the 2 part cable now, i just need to know about the little crocodile clips.. are they safe to put on? know it sounds silly, but 12v through a USB... might pop the PC?

The 12v supply is only used to power the interface circuit that is inside the 16-pin OBD plug. The 12v never goes anywhere near the USB plug side of the circuit so nothing to worry about there smile.gif

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
norro
post 14th September 2011 21:29
Post #66 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 1,419
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf PH1

lovely jubbly! sooo just plug in and load up fiatecuscan and away i go! smile.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Fuel
post 25th February 2012 01:46
Post #67 | Print

1.4 16v

Local Time: 21st July 2019 23:20
Member No.: 5,365
Driving: 145 2.0 Elegant

Does anybody know how do I check if my OBD and VAG-COM cables are working well?

I have bought the cables... Have downloaded "Fiat ECU Scan" but I cannot diagnose any of the Italian cars in the family neither the Airbag of my 145 (the light is permanently on).
The software doesn't recognize the cables when I ask it to connect!

And this is very frustrating... sad.gif

I have waited for about 1 month in order to the cables arrive here in Brazil from China.

This post has been edited by Fuel: 25th February 2012 01:48
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 25th February 2012 09:15
Post #68 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(Fuel @ 25th February 2012 01:46) *
Does anybody know how do I check if my OBD and VAG-COM cables are working well?

Have you followed the FiatECUScan setup guide? There are some things thst need to be done first...

http://www.fiatecuscan.net/HowToUse.aspx

What operating system are you running and which cable did you buy (put a link to the eBay listing).

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Fuel
post 25th February 2012 13:33
Post #69 | Print

1.4 16v

QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ 25th February 2012 07:15) *
Have you followed the FiatECUScan setup guide? There are some things thst need to be done first...

http://www.fiatecuscan.net/HowToUse.aspx

What operating system are you running and which cable did you buy (put a link to the eBay listing).

I tryied to follow the FiatECUScan setup guide on my computer but it wasnīt full succesfull once I didnīt find
the Port Properties windows in order to do the modifications.
Searching on web I found a different way to do that (using codes) but Iīm not sure it was succesfull.

So... answering to your question, I was using a Windows 7 and I bought an OBD2 cable (the blue one) + the 3 Pin adapter (with + and - 12V conectors).

Now I am trying to install FiatECUScan on my fatherīs computer that runs Windows XP.
Letīs see what happens!

Thank you very much for your prompt response GE!

Cheers
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Fuel
post 25th February 2012 14:25
Post #70 | Print

1.4 16v

Tryied to run FiatECUScan in my fathers computer.
Iīve done everything on the FiatECUScan "How To Use" manual, and the result is:

CONNECTION FAILLED
No ECU response!
Check your cable and serial port settings!

Iīm gonna cry!
smilicon_cheers.gif

PS: When testing the cables, FiatECUScan gives me 101ms of lattency.
Which seems to be high. Right?

This post has been edited by Fuel: 25th February 2012 14:27
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 26th February 2012 17:15
Post #71 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(Fuel @ 25th February 2012 14:25) *
Tryied to run FiatECUScan in my fathers computer.
Iīve done everything on the FiatECUScan "How To Use" manual, and the result is:

CONNECTION FAILLED
No ECU response!
Check your cable and serial port settings!

Can you not connect to ANY of the ECUs on your car from your father's XP laptop (engine, airbag or ABS ECUs)?

When running on Windows Vista or Windows 7, right click the FiatECUScan icon on your Windows Start menu, select "Properties...", and then select the "Compatibility" tab. Then tick the "Run this program as an administrator" option. If that doesn't work then tick the "Compatibility mode" option (at the top of the same setting window) and set the program to run in "Windows XP" mode...

Attached Image

For high latency issues, go into the FiatECUScan settings (F9) and select the "Interfaces" tab. Then tick the "High latency mode" box at the bottom. If that doesn't work or you keep getting disconnected then change the "KWP 2000 Timings" value in the dropdown box. Just try each of the Optimal, Fast and Slow options in turn to see if any of them resolve the issue...

Attached Image

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Fuel
post 5th March 2012 17:03
Post #72 | Print

1.4 16v

Hi GE!
Thank you very much for your help!
I really appreciate your attention. thumbsup.gif

I did what you told me to do and I could connect to the Engine ECU.
FiatECUScan says that my unit is not supported by the free version of
the software (as expected, once I have an 1996, alloy top engine 145).

However, regarding the airbag no signal!
It still can't read the Airbag ECU, as if it wasn't connected.

I could read over the airbag ECU that it is a TRW unit.

Still have no idea what is happening and why it doesn't connect to the airbag ECU.
Airbag light is on! sad.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Fuel: 5th March 2012 17:04
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 5th March 2012 17:17
Post #73 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(Fuel @ 5th March 2012 17:03) *
Hi GE!
Thank you very much for your help!
I really appreciate your attention. thumbsup.gif

I did what you told me to do and I could connect to the Engine ECU.
FiatECUScan says that my unit is not supported by the free version of
the software (as expected, once I have an 1996, alloy top engine 145).

However, regarding the airbag no signal!
It still can't read the Airbag ECU, as if it wasn't connected.

I could read over the airbag ECU that it is a TRW unit.

Still have no idea what is happening and why it doesn't connect to the airbag ECU.
Airbag light is on! sad.gif

Cheers

You may well be unfortunate enough to have one of the rare TRW2 airbag ECU's in your car which were fitted to some of the earlier cars. These cannot currently be reset with any DIY software. What part number is shown on your airbag ECU? If it has part number 60631206 on then it's a TRW2 airbag and not a TRW MY97 or TRW MY99 airbag which are the only ones in a 145/146 that are supported by FiatECUScan (and other DIY software).

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Fuel
post 18th March 2012 03:33
Post #74 | Print

1.4 16v

QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ 5th March 2012 14:17) *
You may well be unfortunate enough to have one of the rare TRW2 airbag ECU's in your car which were fitted to some of the earlier cars. These cannot currently be reset with any DIY software. What part number is shown on your airbag ECU? If it has part number 60631206 on then it's a TRW2 airbag and not a TRW MY97 or TRW MY99 airbag which are the only ones in a 145/146 that are supported by FiatECUScan (and other DIY software).

Yes GE!
You were right!
I do have a TRW2 airbag ECU (as all 145 exported to Brazil)!

I had though to search for a scanner from the 90's (93... 94...) at one Alfa dealer to have the problem sorted.
The problem is that almost any dealers have maintained these very old and obsolete machines!

So.... searching for a scanner from the time that my Alfa was new, wasn't an easy task.

Fortunatelly I know an Alfa dealer mechanic who have taken appart the scanner and lent it to me, so I could have the fault code
at the airbag ECU cleaned and the airbag light is now off!!! blush.gif

The scanner used was one Lancia Tester.
Take a look!
http://www.motor-talk.de/bilder/fiat-lanci...i202844700.html

Man!
The equipment is so bizarre that I got the impression that I actually drive something like a Ford T!!! laugh.gif

Lancia Tester is a scanner that you put inside it cartridges that you choose from the collection you have! laugh.gif
So... there is one cartridge for the 145 airbag... another cartridge for the 145/155 engine ECU...
other cartridge for the Alfa 164 ABS... one cartrige for Fiat Tempra engine ECU...
laugh.gif
There is a bag full of cartridges!!!

hahaha

I felt like I was playing Super Nintendo!!!

Fortunately it has worked well and my issue is now sorted!

Thank you VERY MUCH for the help!
Without your tips I would still think that I was having a problem with FiatECUScan.

Cheers

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
buellboy
post 5th May 2012 19:29
Post #75 | Print

1.7 16v

Group: Veteran
Local Time: 22nd July 2019 01:20
Member No.: 3,211
Driving: '96 145 QV (alfie) featured in C&S mag, '99 GTV 3.0 V6 Six speed Aereo (bussolina)

For those that need a reset their alloy-tops (M2.10.x ECU)...the full version AlfaDiag software has now been released on a open-source free licence.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 5th May 2012 21:04
Post #76 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(buellboy @ 5th May 2012 20:29) *
For those that need a reset their alloy-tops (M2.10.x ECU)...the full version AlfaDiag software has now been released on a open-source free licence.

I noticed this as well a couple of months ago. Now being made open-source effectively means it is not going to be developed any more going forward. I did wonder how long it would take before AlfaDiag was completely killed off by the existence of FiatECUScan. However the following statement on the AlfaDiag site did strike me as being a little confusing:-

all of the restrictions of the demo have been removed. The ecus in the demo are however limited in function

So, does this mean that because the open-source version is a demo-only version (with restrictions that were previously in place for running the actual ECU functions now removed for the open-source demo version), that the functionality of this open-source version is now more limited than it was in the earlier paid for versions? It sort of makes sense because I can see people who've previously paid Ģ50 for a license being a bit pee'd off to find that everything is now completely free with full functionality. The comment seems to suggest that if you do want to re-instate full functionality you need to add the relevant code yourself to get the ECU functionality you want. I've got the source code but not started digging through it yet to find out if any ECU functionality is obviously missing.

Have you tried the open-source version on any ECU and does there appear to be any functionality missing that you know was present in earlier versions?

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
buellboy
post 5th May 2012 22:32
Post #77 | Print

1.7 16v

Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,211
Driving: '96 145 QV (alfie) featured in C&S mag, '99 GTV 3.0 V6 Six speed Aereo (bussolina)

QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ 5th May 2012 22:04) *
Have you tried the open-source version on any ECU and does there appear to be any functionality missing that you know was present in earlier versions?

I have tried it and it seems to work better than FES when connecting to my GTV mainly because the actual correct ECU is listed! I cannot comment on the differences between the open source and the paid-for version, as I never had the paid-for version.

I have taken a fleeting look at the source code but doesn't seem to contain any interesting classes

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 6th May 2012 00:48
Post #78 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(buellboy @ 5th May 2012 23:32) *
I have tried it and it seems to work better than FES when connecting to my GTV mainly because the actual correct ECU is listed! I cannot comment on the differences between the open source and the paid-for version, as I never had the paid-for version.

I have taken a fleeting look at the source code but doesn't seem to contain any interesting classes

I've just been trawling through the code and I have to take my hat off to the author as it's pretty well structured and written. The comms for a specific ECU uses generic code classes based on the type of protocol being used (KWP71, KWP81, KWP2000 etc.) and any ECU specific data is stored in XML config files (there is one file per ECU). However, the XML files provided for each ECU with the open source appear to be just skeleton files which are missing most of the definition data (fault codes, actuators etc.). Probably done on purpose so you actually have to do some work yourself if you want to be able to build a fully working program for the available ECUs from the open source code. You would need access to the comms specification for each specific ECU to be able to do this which are usually a confidential Fiat documents not available to the general public unless they've been leaked. As it stands, the pre-compiled version available for download probably had the full XML files loaded when it was built by the author but if you try and build a version from the available source code it looks like you will be missing most of the functionality for each of the available ECUs.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
bl4desman
post 27th May 2012 22:11
Post #79 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 7,218
Driving: 1991 Supercharged MX-5, 2009 Abarth 500 Esseesse, 1995 Yamaha CW50

I have been trying to connect to the airbag ECU. I have the free version of FiatECUScan. I have checked the computer settings are ok and when I try to connect I have an error message saying Can not connect to ECU, check cables and Com ports.

The cables I used are the ones recommended in this thread from Ebay

If I run a test in the F9 Settings, I get this error.

VagCom/KKL

Testing latency with 200 bytes of data...
DATA ERROR!!!
DATA ERROR!!!
DATA ERROR!!!
DATA ERROR!!!
DATA ERROR!!!
DATA ERROR!!!
DATA ERROR!!!
DATA ERROR!!!
DATA ERROR!!!
DATA ERROR!!!
DATA ERROR!!!
DATA ERROR!!!
DATA ERROR!!!
DATA ERROR!!!
Min latency: 1
Max latency: 16

Testing timers...
(The acceptable tolerance for results is ~5 ms)

System supports high resolution timer.

Testing timer with 1000 ms...
..result: 1015 ms

Testing timer with 250 ms...
..result: 257 ms

Testing timer with 750 ms...
..result: 765 ms

Testing timer with 100 ms...
..result: 110 ms

Anybody got any ideas where I am going wrong? I know I can't turn the light off with the free version. I just want to check it works ok before I pay €50.

Cheers, Matt

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 27th May 2012 23:25
Post #80 | Print

Forum Administrator

QUOTE(bl4desman @ 27th May 2012 23:11) *
I have been trying to connect to the airbag ECU.  I have the free version of FiatECUScan.  I have checked the computer settings are ok and when I try to connect I have an error message saying Can not connect to ECU, check cables and Com ports.

The airbag light reset is FREE with FiatECUScan for any airbag system so you won't need to pay for a license.

I assume you're using a USB cable and not an RS232 one? What latency timer value have you set your COM port to?

Also, as a side note, check if the TRW part number printed on top of the Airbag ECU is 60631206. If it is then you have one of the TRW2 airbag ECUs which cannot be reset using FiatECUScan (you have to use Trw2scan instead).

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22 Jul 2019 01:20