NaanBread
post 3rd October 2012 13:25
Post #21 | Print

1.8 16v

Group: Veteran
Local Time: 23rd August 2019 20:37
Member No.: 4,404
Driving: So many Alfa's

Ferodo Premium...fantastic pad, and like I said they are equivalent to Greenstuff pads. They seem expensive on eGay so try your local motor factors, I think I got mine for 30 odd.

--------------------
'You know you're a true petrol head when you've had to buy parts for your Alfa'
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 3rd October 2012 13:28
Post #22 | Print

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 954
Driving: Alfa 145 QV, Lancia Delta Integrale Evo, SEAT Leon Mk2 FR+ TDI DSG

QUOTE(NaanBread @ 3rd October 2012 14:13) *
Rang up Mtech, and the lass on the phone was very helpful. She explained that if you use your car for rast road/track then dont get drilled discs as they get to hot and do exactly what my discs have done! (I asked her what discs are best before i told her what had happened to mine)

shes said for track use get dimpled and grooved as the heat wont travel through and cook the inside disc. Makes sense to me. She asked what pads Im using and I told her about Ferrodo baggins Premium and she said they are pretty much Green Stuff pads so you cant go wrong with them.

And you can obviously buy direct over the phone or if anyone wants them putting on ebay she can do.

So the end of the day its my fault for driving to fast and braking to hard, and also cos I thought drilled would be better, but obviously not. Now hopefully all will be well smile.gif

Hope this helps anyone in the future.

But you've not been racing yours on track and it's mostly been driven by your grandparents AFAIU so shouldn't have been subjected to anything more than daily driver usage with the odd heavy braking application. They would have had to have taken a absolute battering day in day out for that explanation to be plausible in any way. Sounds like they were trying to wean you away from asking for some replacements.

Anyway, both sides of the discs are drilled not just the outside, and that aside, most of the performance cars have drilled discs (R8, Porsche, Ferrari, you name it) so I find the explanation given hard to believe. The holes are there to aid both cooling and to allow the gasses that build up between the pad and the disk to escape easier. The slots also allow gasses to escape while also acting as a wiper/scrubber to deglaze the face of the pads.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
NaanBread
post 3rd October 2012 13:36
Post #23 | Print

1.8 16v

QUOTE(GialloEvo94 @ 3rd October 2012 14:28) *
But you've not been racing yours on track and it's mostly been driven by your grandparents AFAIU so shouldn't have been subjected to anything more than daily driver usage with the odd heavy braking application. They would have had to have taken a absolute battering day in day out for that explanation to be plausible in any way. Sounds like they were trying to wean you away from asking for some replacements.

Anyway, both sides of the discs are drilled not just the outside, and that aside, most of the performance cars have drilled discs (R8, Porsche, Ferrari, you name it) so I find the explanation given hard to believe. The holes are there to aid both cooling and to allow the gasses that build up between the pad and the disk to escape easier. The slots also allow gasses to escape while also acting as a wiper/scrubber to deglaze the face of the pads.

You obviously havent seen my driving tongue.gif I usually have to change discs and pads quite often. The brakes werent great before I gave it to my gparents, theyve just finished them off.

I cant really claim anything because they are well over a year old, and they will just say I drove them to hard as its out of warranty. I wasnt bothered about changing the discs while they had them even though I knew they were f**ked. Mainly cos the gparents are old anyway. At the end of the day it was probably my fault as I never chased them up within the year. But if no one else has had any issues then can only really be my driving and/or caliper setup with these certain discs...

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
langers
post 3rd October 2012 18:21
Post #24 | Print

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,059
Driving: Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 1.4 TFSI COD

I ran EBC Turbo Grooved and dimpled discs on the Black 145 with standard pads. I can only describe them as amazing. Only had brake fade a hand full of times when really gunning it and that was down to budget pads.

Well well well recommend EBC Discs.

--------------------

'96 Purple 145 QV died from rust - '98 Blue Junior SOLD - '99 Red 145 QV 20VT SOLD - '97 145 QV Track Tart SOLD
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
black 146
post 3rd October 2012 19:16
Post #25 | Print

1.7 16v

Member No.: 3,861
Driving: alfa 145 1.6ish

QUOTE(langers @ 3rd October 2012 19:21) *
I ran EBC Turbo Grooved and dimpled discs on the Black 145 with standard pads. I can only describe them as amazing. Only had brake fade a hand full of times when really gunning it and that was down to budget pads.

im ruining reddot 22Grooved discs with the softer standard pad as i was told to do. when i got them and iv'e never had a problem with braking or wear

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
langers
post 3rd October 2012 19:51
Post #26 | Print

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,059
Driving: Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 1.4 TFSI COD

I couldn't actually believe the stopping power able to obtain from single piston calipers!

--------------------

'96 Purple 145 QV died from rust - '98 Blue Junior SOLD - '99 Red 145 QV 20VT SOLD - '97 145 QV Track Tart SOLD
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
NaanBread
post 3rd October 2012 20:21
Post #27 | Print

1.8 16v

these Mtechs were like that, just not after a few months of hard driving.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
AR 145
post 4th October 2012 11:50
Post #28 | Print

1.6 8v

Group: Regular
Member No.: 2,641
Driving: 147 GTA Q2

Oh dear.. I have mtech drilled and grooved brakes on my car. I dont use them, that hard though..

I'll have to check them out!

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
tom145
post 4th October 2012 12:22
Post #29 | Print

1.6 8v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 23rd August 2019 19:37
Member No.: 4,926
Driving: 145

QUOTE(langers @ 3rd October 2012 19:21) *

if i change my discs these are what im gonna buy
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23 Aug 2019 19:37