post 11th December 2016 19:26
Post #1 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Local Time: 21st July 2017 02:35
Member No.: 12,458
Driving: 146 Boxer 16v, 146 Ti Fl, 145 Qv Fl

Hello!

As promised on my presentation post, I will show you our Alfas, and the project to carry them again to good shape!

I will write them in chronological order, so the first one is the 146 Boxer 16v we bought (parent and me) on June-2015. If anyone knows, on this month, the summer is hitting hard here, with +38šC of outside temp, so we took the almost 230 miles trip to see the car. It had been maintained in the AR Dealer until the one and first owner took the decission to give up and leave it on the streets, because of a damaged gearbox. On May of 2015, the guy who sold us the car found the owner of the car and bought it. They gave it basic service (oil, filter,...) and used it to carry the childrens to school, move on the city...even with the damaged gearbox. When we got to see the car, we saw that it had not almost reverse gear, no Aircon, the paint was a bit old and a good set of dents and scrapes, especially in bumpers. On the good side we got all the AR documents, two keys and pretty good internal and mechanical condition, despite all the dirt inside and on the engine.

Here a pic of the 146 next to my Bravo, we were resting a bit on the way back home, was quite tired to arrive home without aircon and lots of motorway..

Finally some pics with it finally resting at home.

Is really remarkable that even that seems like the engine has never been cleaned, there arenīt any oil leaks. Heads up for Alfa!

That's all, I will bring update from time to time. Also, my English is bad, so sorry for that blush.gif

Thanks!!
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
aero_mati
post 12th December 2016 03:15
Post #2 | Print

1.3 8v

Local Time: 20th July 2017 21:35
Member No.: 12,820
Driving: Alfa 145 Cloverleaf

Hi,

I didn't quite get it, those pictures are from 2015? (when you first bought the car). The car looks in good shape despite that ding on the corner and the bumpers thumbsup.gif

I've never seen a boxer 146 in person, most 146s in Argentina are Ti, 1.8 or diesels.

Keep us updated wink.gif

Cheers.

This post has been edited by aero_mati: 12th December 2016 03:16

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Antonio
post 13th December 2016 17:27
Post #3 | Print

1.3 8v

Thanks (Gracias!) for posting here, aero_mati!

From the the pics, it seems not so bad, but it had multiple dents on front wings, the four doors had the corners on naked metal of hitting another cars on parks or whatever... the front bumper was a complete disaster if one looked close, the rear was a bit better but also was deformed on the center, plus another little details...

Now preparing new post...
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Antonio
post 13th December 2016 17:57
Post #4 | Print

1.3 8v

One of the first we payed our attention was the awful ding on the rear wing

We took off the taillight, hanged the rear bumper and the boot linings to hit it from the inside, here it looks fair better after a bit of work

Here with all things together. There was a little bit of surface rust and a little section of the steel was broken, but for the time we didnīt mind rolleyes.gif

Also we took the chance of taking a look to the boot floor and other details; it is so nice, absolutely no signs of corrosion

And this things made me happy, really hard to see them on this cars, at least on this lands..

Finally, we took the decision to go ahead and take a good look to the engine and gearbox, the work began biggrin.gif

Then the engine and gearbox were out!

On the next day we started to work on the engine. At the beginning we tought only of doing basic service (all fluids, filters, belts..) but the next day of having the car, it started to make some bad noise on the heads, even when cold, so we decided to take a further look.

First surprise was to see that one of the cambelts was alarmingly loose, also the water pump was leaking a bit... rant.gif

We continued the dissasembly..the nuts that holds the gearbox bellhousing to the engine does not match the thread pitch of the studs. The folks who fitted the clutch greased the surface of the release bearing that meets the pressure plate, so it was slipping there, causing damage to the sheets of the diaphragm

Belts out

Heads out

The bare block

The engine was in very good condition, the cylinders were almost perfect, rings and pistons also. Some shells had minor scuffs, some valves leaked a bit, some tappets were damaged and good amount of carbon deposits on the chambers but also on the heads. Maybe the worst thing was the water pump, sooner than later it would gave us problems

That's all for now, next I will show the works done on the engine and gearbox.

Cheers!

This post has been edited by Antonio: 13th December 2016 18:31
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
aero_mati
post 13th December 2016 22:43
Post #5 | Print

1.3 8v

Local Time: 20th July 2017 21:35
Member No.: 12,820
Driving: Alfa 145 Cloverleaf

QUOTE(Antonio @ 13th December 2016 14:27) *
Thanks (Gracias!) for posting here, aero_mati!

From the the pics, it seems not so bad, but it had multiple dents on front wings, the four doors had the corners on naked metal of hitting another cars on parks or whatever... the front bumper was a complete disaster if one looked close, the rear was a bit better but also was deformed on the center, plus another little details...

Now preparing new post...

The doors on my 145 also have dents on the corner of the door, looks awful no3.gif .

That looks like a lot of work. What are you going to do with the engine? Are you just going to restore it or do you plan some upgrades?

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 20th December 2016 23:53
Post #6 | Print

1.6 8v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 21st July 2017 01:35
Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

Yes, great pics thumbup.gif . Good to see you stripping the engine. There can't be that many boxer 146/5s left worldwide.

This post has been edited by Ganz: 20th December 2016 23:54

--------------------
G A N Z 145
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
niaugi
post 22nd December 2016 06:04
Post #7 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 4,097
Driving: 146 1.6 & 1.7 16v boxers

nice Antonio! very rare event these days smile.gif

could you please show some photos from close i am always very interested to inspect them:

big and small bearing shells
cylinders
piston skirts
camshafts and damaged tappets

thanks!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Antonio
post 23rd December 2016 22:38
Post #8 | Print

1.3 8v

Merry christmas!!

QUOTE(aero_mati @ 13th December 2016 23:43) *
The doors on my 145 also have dents on the corner of the door, looks awful no3.gif .

That looks like a lot of work. What are you going to do with the engine? Are you just going to restore it or do you plan some upgrades?

Just restore, any modifications were done

QUOTE(Ganz @ 21st December 2016 00:53) *
Yes, great pics thumbup.gif . Good to see you stripping the engine. There can't be that many boxer 146/5s left worldwide.

Yes, so many left, even here, as many became donors to make faster Suds, Sprints or 33s...since we bought it, I saw two 145, both with high mileage and one 146, all Rosso Proteo as this one. Thanks for commenting!

QUOTE(niaugi @ 22nd December 2016 07:04) *
nice Antonio! very rare event these days smile.gif

could you please show some photos from close i am always very interested to inspect them:

big and small bearing shells
cylinders
piston skirts
camshafts and damaged tappets

thanks!

Hello niaugi! Your threads were of great help, especially the info from you and Crank about the Gearbox worshippy.gif

In next posts you will see some detailed pics, but i can advantage you that only one big end had the shells with very minor scuffs, we thought due to the engine had inside fairly bit of sludge that on the way back home became loose (high ambiental temps, +300km), as the tappets noise appeared the next day at home, this were fixed by entering them on a bottle full of Petrol Injection cleaner coolio.gif . Rings and cylinders with almost no signs of use, rings with OK gap..piston skirts had very minor scuffs, but great overall. My father has build lots of engine since child and He was impressed when We inspected it! Hard to believe the signs of use of the engine compared to the mileage of the car.

Slowly building new post..last of the year also
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Antonio
post 27th April 2017 22:16
Post #9 | Print

1.3 8v

Hi again! I have had this thread a bit "unmaintained", so let's do a good progress biggrin.gif

As i said on previous post, the car didn't have reverse gear, the gears slipped if you try to go reverse, so the box needed a look inside, here it is, splitted from the engine.

Before disassembly, I cleaned a bit the bellhousing to make the process a bit more "comfortable", here at the beginning of the process

Then we started disassembly..

After some hours we got this

Then we got a veredict: the reverse gear coupling fork had lots of wear, but it was because the fork had been repaired on the past, welding the contact surface to the gear, so it didn't have any anti-wear treatment..here you can see the wear, the contact surface became verry thin blink.gif . Due to the slippage, the gear was a bit damaged, no worries because the car included a 33 1.7 8v gearbox on the boot

Then we started to dissamsemble 33's gearbox, to take reserve fork&gear

Then here it is the fork and the gear, now compare the gear, there is such a difference!

BUTT, the 146 gearbox had one more gift for us....as it was disassembled once before we disassembled it, the bloke who did it done it wrong rant.gif , we found the secondary axle's nut wasn't tight, even half tight as it should be, because if you tried to tight it to Alfa's given torque, the geartrain blocked itself...so we had a hard time to find the turned around gears and bushes till it worked fine... mainly due to info given by forum members Crank and niaugi worshippy.gif . Well, before assembly, I cleaned the bellhousing, rear cover and sump..

Then, on the assembly process..we fitted new seals and gaskets, of course..luckily, all bearings hadn't any damage.

This is the nut that was almost loose, only kept by the notch block. It needs to be tighted at approx 236N·m, wich is a lot.

With gearbox finished, it was time to clean all parts fitted to it

Then, the engine, as I said it was full of sludge but with very minor signs of wear, look at it, rings gap is very good

Cylinders had minimum wear

Head's drivetrain, without signs of wear

Here the pistons, with fairly good amount of deposits and sludge between rings..

MORE ON NEXT POST!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Antonio
post 27th April 2017 22:30
Post #10 | Print

1.3 8v

Then I moved to work on the heads, first I took off all valves and started to clean sludge and rests of old head gasket...lots of deposits on valve guides and mushrooms

Then I lapped a bit the valves, as some of them didn't close properly.

Heads ready to be assembled!

Then I cleaned the block intensively, I didn't want to keep any sludge and residues on it...

As they became from factory badly coated, we gave it a new coat of paint!

Pistons clean

Then we started to receive all parts required to assembly the engine, full Spesso gasket set, Main and rods shell bearings, piston rings, cambelt set...

For now is enough, I will continue with the engine rebuild soon, maybe tomorrow..

Thanks!!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 29th April 2017 21:33
Post #11 | Print

1.6 8v

Good work! Keep the pics coming.

--------------------
G A N Z 145
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 30th April 2017 09:05
Post #12 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

Astonishing Antonio

Are you a mechanic by trade..?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Antonio
post 9th May 2017 22:40
Post #13 | Print

1.3 8v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 30th April 2017 09:05) *
Astonishing Antonio

Are you a mechanic by trade..?

Thanks Jim! Errmmm, now I work with a company, but I do this as a grateful hobby. To be fair, this car and my Fiat were my first "workhorses" when I did my firsts steps on car's mechanics.

Well, let's go ahead and show more contents

With almost all parts needed to assemble the engine with started with it, Crank fitted

Rings fitted on pistons and ready to be compressed and fitted inside cylinders

Pistons&rods fitted and all torqued to OEM specs

Then...rear housing

Heads fitted and torqued, We can't move forward because two camshaft seals were missing from full gasket set, so we awaited until we received them from factory

Well, at least we straightened dents of the sump and fitted it, so we could turn it upwards

And looked on another things, I cleaned intake plenum and Throotle Bodies with all the stuff fitted to them like thermostat and so on (I don't like to break OEM clamps)

Plenum clean

Also we refurbished clutch receptor that had the protection rubber broken and lots on dirt inside

More on next post
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Antonio
post 5th June 2017 14:29
Post #14 | Print

1.3 8v

Hey hey! Me thinks it's time to give a little push to the thread, still plenty of work to be shown..

Lastly, we received the rant.gif cams seals, so we fitted them

Then, I fitted TB and all the stuff attached to them

Cambelts fitted

Then, we fitted aux belts and all was ready to marry engine and gearbox, so ready to be fitted again on the 146!

Poor Alfa took some time on the street while we rebuilt the engine&box..

We gave it a bit of a wash

And cleaned all the engine bay

Last task before fitting the engine to the was to replace steering rack's broken boots, a pain to do as it needs to be fully dissasembled to change them..

More on next post
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
langers
post 6th June 2017 12:00
Post #15 | Print

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,059
Driving: Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 1.4 TFSI COD

Hola! Mi Gusta esta!

It is very detailed and thorough the level of work, cleanliness and documentation. Congratulations... esperro que el maquina es no rota!

--------------------

'96 Purple 145 QV died from rust - '98 Blue Junior SOLD - '99 Red 145 QV 20VT SOLD - '97 145 QV Track Tart SOLD
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 7th June 2017 12:26
Post #16 | Print

1.4 16v

whilst we are on the subject of steering racks (which we sort of are- if not to detract from Antonio's exceptional thread..)

does anybody know if the Boxer & Twin Spark use the same steering rack..?

I ask, because I am shortly to have my front subframe removed, and I understand that a classic scenario in this work is for a bolt into the steering rack to snap.

Does anyone have experience of this..?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
shpuncik
post 7th June 2017 16:41
Post #17 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 12,980
Driving: 145 1.6 Boxer; 145 1.9JTD Edizione Sportiva

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 7th June 2017 13:26) *
whilst we are on the subject of steering racks (which we sort of are- if not to detract from Antonio's exceptional thread..)

does anybody know if the Boxer & Twin Spark use the same steering rack..?

I ask, because I am shortly to have my front subframe removed, and I understand that a classic scenario in this work is for a bolt into the steering rack to snap.

Does anyone have experience of this..?

completely different units.

this is Boxer steering rack
Attached Image

and that's what rest engines use
Attached Image

Boxer steering rack is mounted on top in the engine bay while rest engines have it mounted on subframe. Boxer also has different subframe (square shaped) and different front shock absorbers as steering rack tie rod ends connect directly to shock absorbers, not hub.

I've not heard for bolts to snap. although everything was badly rusted on my subframe, bolts didn't give me any problem.

This post has been edited by shpuncik: 7th June 2017 18:55
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 8th June 2017 12:51
Post #18 | Print

1.4 16v

Thankyou Valdas-

I knew they were distinct subframes between the TS & Boxer, but I didn't know that about the racks...

encouraging to hear that you were able to get the bolts out...
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 12th June 2017 20:02
Post #19 | Print

1.6 8v

Great work. Like the colour you used for the crankcase. Keep the pics coming.

--------------------
G A N Z 145
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Antonio
post 17th June 2017 20:15
Post #20 | Print

1.3 8v

First, thanks everybody who replied, it gives me more strength for the current projects!

So okay, seemed like all was ready to allow us to bolt the engine under the bonnet, so here we go!

Here at half process

Almost ready whistle.gif

Some pics when I cleaned coolant reservoir

We revised driveshaft and replaced one broken cv boot, its from a Peugeot, with very thick rubber

Lambda sensor wires were broken and with poor repairs

Then it was ready to turn on this sweet Boxer..

Before taking it to the floor we did some more things, like Bilstein B6 shocks at the rear

And cleaned rims as it should be done coolio.gif

Last, we tried to repair the broken A/C condenser, but in future posts it will need to be welded again because had minor leaks..

With all that done, we took it again to the road and ran so well, despite the thermostat needed to be changed and other things that I will talk here on next post...next task:body repairs and full "novice" respray no3.gif

Cheers!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21 Jul 2017 00:35