IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Getting the 145QV ready for the track, Zender spoiler and new radiator fitted.
effkay
post 2nd September 2016 14:35
Post #41 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 18th August 2017 23:05
Member No.: 6,340
Driving: Alfa 145 2.0 Cloverleaf, Subaru Impreza WRX PPP

...continued.

An Alfa domed decal I had lying about was used to break up all the bling!

Really pleased with how it came out smile.gif

Then time to change the brake pads - not metal on metal yet, but worth a change for the minimal cost (hate changing pads at the track!):

After using many types, I find Pagid OEM really good performance/cost and also use them on my Subaru. They are only 38.99 from Eurocarparts so around half the price of EBC (I like Greenstuffs, but had issues with Redstuffs), and I find them better than the slightly more expensive Brembo OEM pads. Due to cars road use and also cost, I haven't tried the super expensive Yellow/Bluestuffs or Ferrodo yet, however the Pagids seem to wear a similar amounts to the EBC pads, and can also get the ABS working easily enough even on dry tracks and don't smoke too much after a 20min session (unlike when I took the Subaru to the ring!)

Also chucked on a little caliper paint for the extra 10bhp wink.gif:

Lets hope all goes to plan on track tomorrow - should be wet so I will have a chance against all the quick Rwd stuff coolio.gif

This post has been edited by effkay: 3rd September 2016 00:48
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Peadar
post 2nd September 2016 15:03
Post #42 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 10,638
Driving: 146

Nice work!
Bigger brakes next?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
effkay
post 2nd September 2016 16:56
Post #43 | Print

1.4 16v

Cheers thumbsup.gif

Always thought about it, but never find them struggling to be honest...its a light car and not massively powerful. Like I said, I still can get the ABS working hard and never seems to overheat.

This post has been edited by effkay: 2nd September 2016 16:58
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Peadar
post 2nd September 2016 19:00
Post #44 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 10,638
Driving: 146

QUOTE(effkay @ 2nd September 2016 17:56) *
Cheers thumbsup.gif

Always thought about it, but never find them struggling to be honest...its a light car and not massively powerful. Like I said, I still can get the ABS working hard and never seems to overheat.

But with better tyres that will change, can you not get rid of the ABS?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
effkay
post 3rd September 2016 00:47
Post #45 | Print

1.4 16v

QUOTE(Peadar @ 2nd September 2016 20:00) *
But with better tyres that will change, can you not get rid of the ABS?

Better brakes or better tyres? Not gonna go much more extreme than RS-Rs or NS-2Rs (which I am really impressed with) I'm currently using. If I fitted a turbo lump or the V6 I'd definately add larger brakes.

I still find the ABS handy, but is it much effort to disabe? Be interesting to compare running with it on one session, then off the next.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
effkay
post 5th September 2016 18:28
Post #46 | Print

1.4 16v

Had a great day on Saturday - car went really well even in the horrendous conditions. I was first on track and last off tongue.gif

Mates exhaust fell off and melted his MX5 bumper but its already been fixed. An MR2's bonnet flew open smashing the windscreen within 10mins of first session even with aero catches fiited (not sure how). A few spins during the day, but good driving standards meant nothing badly damaged, although one MX5 left his front splitter in the grass. Respect to the open top cars, and ones without a windscreen as it was pouring down. Lovely Lotus 340R had a handy roof tarp, and got a nose round a amazing Radical as it took a few of us to put the cover on during the windy conditions.

Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piL_5RrjMAM

A friend brought her Mito along - interesting comparing the similarity in size...although I am biased as to which one looks better!

This post has been edited by effkay: 5th September 2016 18:38
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
effkay
post 6th September 2016 08:56
Post #47 | Print

1.4 16v

Thought I'd do another quick video- this time a mashup of varying sessions into one lap using the different camera angles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avfwzVE7JSs
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
cesar86
post 10th September 2016 18:32
Post #48 | Print

1.6 8v

Local Time: 18th August 2017 20:05
Member No.: 5,465
Driving: Alfa Romeo 145 QV

Wow! Beautiful work on the cold air intake, nicely done!

I tested a similar intake on my QV, a 2,5" duct directing cold air from the fog light opening to the conic filter where the OEM airbox used to be. For track use i found the intake air temperature dropped quite a bit, and car pulls slightly better between 6-7k rpm (decat exhaust might help as well). My next step would be to test with a heat deflector on, just like your setup.

I'm currently using EBC Yellowstuff pads, they are OK when cold and have an incredible bite when warm, never had any sign of fading even on more demanding conditions. They do increase wear on the discs, but still discs managed to last 6 track day events at high speed circuits, plus a few thousands of miles of road driving, without issues.

As to the stock QV brakes, I agree, would only consider an upgrade if I went over 200hp. With proper discs, pads, fluid and stainless lines I think the stock QV brakes are very capable for racing.

Regarding the ABS, you can deactivate it by removing its fuse located at the electric box underneath the panel, driver's side (there's the ABS symbol right next to it). I like to remove/insert the fuse with the ignition off. Just be careful because with ABS off, when the tyres lock up they won't let go unless you modulate the brake pedal.

Love the videos, you got some great footage out there. Respect to the open-top (Caterham?) going sideways in the wet on your rear camera!

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
romesolution
post 11th September 2016 16:28
Post #49 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 5,656
Driving: Cloverleaf, 1.8 ts, 1.7 Boxer

QUOTE(effkay @ 3rd September 2016 01:47) *
Better brakes or better tyres? Not gonna go much more extreme than RS-Rs or NS-2Rs (which I am really impressed with) I'm currently using. If I fitted a turbo lump or the V6 I'd definately add larger brakes.

I still find the ABS handy, but is it much effort to disabe? Be interesting to compare running with it on one session, then off the next.

If you go down the Brembo route, i'd be interested in some brackets for my racer. I've tried to find somewhere to get the brackets made but am still looking. There is a thread on here somewhere with the dimensions....... bulk buy and all eh! Looks awesome dude.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
effkay
post 12th September 2016 09:38
Post #50 | Print

1.4 16v

QUOTE(cesar86 @ 10th September 2016 19:32) *
I tested a similar intake on my QV, a 2,5" duct directing cold air from the fog light opening to the conic filter where the OEM airbox used to be. For track use i found the intake air temperature dropped quite a bit, and car pulls slightly better between 6-7k rpm (decat exhaust might help as well). My next step would be to test with a heat deflector on, just like your setup.

Regarding the ABS, you can deactivate it by removing its fuse located at the electric box underneath the panel, driver's side (there's the ABS symbol right next to it). I like to remove/insert the fuse with the ignition off. Just be careful because with ABS off, when the tyres lock up they won't let go unless you modulate the brake pedal.

Thanks for your kind words and information about the ABS deactivation.

I have my exhaust decatted - got fabricator to weld bolted flanges to each end so I can remove/replace in 10mins for the MOT only. You can definitely feel the car perform (and sound) better with it removed!

Bought another small video camera (SJCAM M10), to go along with my current Sony HD Action Cam, so hopefully will get some new camera angle footage at the next event. Here's a link if people thinking about one but dont want to pay Sony/GoPro prices: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/12/6/sjc...ed-to-know.html

I also changed my track rod ends this weekend - checked for play to the inner rod ends and all felt tight which is good as they are far more tricky. Only thing is one locking nut was stuck fast (tried penetrating fluid overnight by still nothing), so will be heating it with some proprane tonight. Once thats done I will get an alignment and also need a small exhaust leak in my SS exhaust fixed (just need to find my lifetime warranty!).
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
effkay
post 12th September 2016 09:43
Post #51 | Print

1.4 16v

QUOTE(romesolution @ 11th September 2016 17:28) *
If you go down the Brembo route, i'd be interested in some brackets for my racer. I've tried to find somewhere to get the brackets made but am still looking. There is a thread on here somewhere with the dimensions....... bulk buy and all eh! Looks awesome dude.

Try this thread and the links in it to other threads regarding caliper brackets: http://forum.alfa145.com/index.php?showtopic=17362

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
effkay
post 15th September 2016 08:56
Post #52 | Print

1.4 16v

QUOTE(effkay @ 12th September 2016 10:38) *
I also changed my track rod ends this weekend - checked for play to the inner rod ends and all felt tight which is good as they are far more tricky. Only thing is one locking nut was stuck fast (tried penetrating fluid overnight by still nothing), so will be heating it with some proprane tonight. Once thats done I will get an alignment and also need a small exhaust leak in my SS exhaust fixed (just need to find my lifetime warranty!).

So got my blow torch out and 1min of heating sorted that stuck adjusting/locking nut. So both ends now on and torqued - here are some pics of the process:

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
romesolution
post 15th September 2016 18:47
Post #53 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 5,656
Driving: Cloverleaf, 1.8 ts, 1.7 Boxer

Nice work..... I gotta do mine, my coilovers have left the blue one duck footed!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18 Aug 2017 22:05