Kieran
post 12th August 2008 11:20
Post #1 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: New Member
Local Time: 22nd January 2021 15:54
Member No.: 1,035
Driving: Alfa Romeo 145 1.8 T.Spark

I'm in need of a cup holder for my 145, anyone have any suggestions that wouldn't look too terrible?

Cheers
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Darbs666
post 12th August 2008 11:47
Post #2 | Print

1.6 8v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 22nd January 2021 14:54
Member No.: 632
Driving: 145QV

think it looks pretty cool tbh..

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
buellboy
post 12th August 2008 11:50
Post #3 | Print

1.7 16v

Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,211
Driving: Alfa 75 Twinspark (Ronnie), Alfa 75 Twinspark (Shelly) , Alfa 75 Turbo (Donnie)

QUOTE(Kieran @ 12th August 2008 12:20) *
I'm in need of a cup holder for my 145, anyone have any suggestions that wouldn't look too terrible?

Cheers

I put the can in front of the speedo whistle.gif

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Kieran
post 12th August 2008 11:58
Post #4 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 1,035
Driving: Alfa Romeo 145 1.8 T.Spark

QUOTE(Kieran @ 12th August 2008 12:20) *

Cheers

great, that's exactly the kind of thing I was after, will look good with my bum bag
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
returner
post 12th August 2008 18:13
Post #5 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 2,935
Driving: 155

you can buy ones that clip onto the door, i just use a thermos cup and hang it on the door by its handle
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 27th December 2020 19:21
Post #6 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

I want a prize for bringing back a 12 year old thread!!

I've been thinking about this for some time.

I totally get the original-design-philosophy; that when you are in the car- you DRIVE, and if you want to drink something- you STOP and get out.

That's ace, and I admire it; but unfortunately; some of my passengers don't, and I do some big trips in my 146.gif so I've decided some concessions to ergonomics in 2020 are called for. After all; the Giulia Quadrifoglio has cupholders; but no-ones ever called it 'soft' have they? biggrin.gif
The overarching concept; is for a drinks holding position for the passenger-side; I don't drink tea or coffee, and all my drinks come from bottles; so I'm really accounting for a motorway-services-scalding-tea-holder, for a passenger.

So; what to use?
The internet is rammed with bits of plastic & metal supposed to be aftermarket cup holders, but what would go with the materials and shapes used in the car? After a bit of searching, I think; this is it-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Car-Drink-Cup...872.m2749.l2649

the one thing that really appeals to me about this, other than the similarity of material and shapes used in the standard 930-trim, is the fact it folds shut.

But where could such a thing go? I don't want it bolted irreparably onto an existing surface; there has to be some kind of design interface...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 28th December 2020 00:42
Post #7 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

Here is mine - been using the same model for years - from Halfords. It does a good job -bit fiddly setting it up but once done it does the job well.
Attached Image
an old pic

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 28th December 2020 01:18
Post #8 | Print

1.6 16v

I knew I could rely on you, matey! thumbsup.gif (your car really does look like a road-going competition car)

but that's not quite factory enough for me.

I decided to try and source the trim for the passenger side dash mouldings to work upon (I Never do anything un-doable to a car, unless I already have a part to replace it back with) This turned out to be much trickier than I thought; but eventually I sourced the complete dash moulding from a non-airbag example.
Unfortunately it was a lower profile than the airbag example, and even if chopped-up, wouldn't be compatible.

So I decided to fabricate my own dash trim.

I was initially going to go for the piece nearest the centre console; but I decided the curve was too overt to reproduce, and although it could be handy to have a cupholder 'in the middle of the car' (like yours Ganz), it might interfere with the airbag deployment, and also steam-up the centre windscreen if a hot drink was in there on a cold day- so I elected to try and reproduce the trim nearest the door.

This post has been edited by dante giacosa: 28th December 2020 10:55
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
VROOM
post 28th December 2020 13:49
Post #9 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Member No.: 13,153
Driving: BRERA, GIULIETTA, 145QV, GIULIA

Brilliant! I love this kind of thing. It reminds me of the time I decided to fabricate a discman holder for the uno (sorry to bring up the Uno again!) using plastic guttering painted matt back and attached to the bottom of the dash where the radio sat. biggrin.gif
It sounds awful, but actually looked OK.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 28th December 2020 16:45
Post #10 | Print

1.6 16v

Don't get me started on the things I did to MY Uno!- we'd need to start another FORUM to get all this stuff into, Vroom! (got any pictures?!!)

Having made the basic trim-shaped-part; I had to work with the mounting-position on the dash (without the part) to establish 'horizontal', as it turns out the line of the trim isn't horizontal in the flat-plane (tilted forwards).
As it happens; there's a big mounting screw next to the airbag, which is kind of perfect for holding the cupholder by itself. So I mounted it; established horizontal, then removed it, and then in-turn mounted the replacement trim-panel and transposed the mark-up for horizontal onto it.

This then informed the final orientation of cut-out on the panel for the cupholder shape. The cupholder will be recessed into the replacement trim-part, to give it a lower profile when stowed.
The 'trim'-part was going to end up covered in adhesive-felt (in the first instance); so I needed a returned edge to bond to, around the holder.

This post has been edited by dante giacosa: 28th December 2020 16:47
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 28th December 2020 19:47
Post #11 | Print

1.6 16v

Great work Dante Attached Image sheet metal fabrication Attached Image I've always got some fabrication job on - my first ever job when I left school - why did engineering firms disappear, I liked my job.

Are you going to attempt to use the original black PVC wrap over the alloy? If you get a scraper underneath the original wrap and a lot of patience you should be able to peel it off.

Really like that fold away cup holder you got. I seriously need one for my 156 Attached Image

This post has been edited by Ganz: 28th December 2020 23:39

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 28th December 2020 23:43
Post #12 | Print

1.6 16v

Did you say '156', Ganz?!

What haven't you been telling us???! ohmy.gif

As it happens, I DID consider, and intend to, remove the vinyl-wrap from an existing panel; but as I say; I can't bring myself to damage anything I can't put back- so at this point I'm going with the adhesive-felt; which I think will be 'okay'...
(as I don't have a replacement vinyl-wrapped panel)

The original panels actually have the vinyl stapled into position would you believe? See attached image...

Next up was the NS-door air-vent aperture, and a mounting-brace in position within the part, to hold the cupholder 'at depth' within it. Then a quick check with the original part, to establish exact fit.

This post has been edited by dante giacosa: 28th December 2020 23:53
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 28th December 2020 23:44
Post #13 | Print

1.6 16v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 28th December 2020 01:18) *
I knew I could rely on you, matey! thumbsup.gif (your car really does look like a road-going competition car)

but that's not quite factory enough for me.

I decided to try and source the trim for the passenger side dash mouldings to work upon (I Never do anything un-doable to a car, unless I already have a part to replace it back with) This turned out to be much trickier than I thought; but eventually I sourced the complete dash moulding from a non-airbag example.
Unfortunately it was a lower profile than the airbag example, and even if chopped-up, wouldn't be compatible.

So I decided to fabricate my own dash trim.

I was initially going to go for the piece nearest the centre console; but I decided the curve was too overt to reproduce, and although it could be handy to have a cupholder 'in the middle of the car' (like yours Ganz), it might interfere with the airbag deployment, and also steam-up the centre windscreen if a hot drink was in there on a cold day- so I elected to try and reproduce the trim nearest the door.

Thanks Dante. Yes, I like the track car look and often think about putting in some bucket seats and roll cage but I like my creature comforts - like the cup holders and door trays etc.

There is something "Terminator" about that alloy juxtaposed against the oem part - I feel a thesis coming on

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 28th December 2020 23:54
Post #14 | Print

1.6 16v

QUOTE(Ganz @ 28th December 2020 23:44) *
There is something "Terminator" about that alloy juxtaposed against the oem part - I feel a thesis coming on

you are very kind- but keep watching!

At this point, I should reveal that I wanted it backlit with the headlights, for night time use.
So in went a couple of 1.8mm LEDs and some drop resistors.

Initial tests revealed that the light would flood the passenger floor (or 'glow' rather than 'flood'), and so the LED positions had to be reversed to face the dash, when the cupholder was open.

(the exposure used in this low-light photography of the part, makes the illumination seem much brighter than it is in reality)

This post has been edited by dante giacosa: 29th December 2020 00:02
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 29th December 2020 21:45
Post #15 | Print

1.6 16v

In the end, it looks like this; which I think is alright; given that it's 100% removable, and has been done without any damage to the core vehicle.

I need to redo the mounting, the additionally take advantage of the plastic-fingers on the original trim, which extend into the dash- but that'll be next year. Also the exact 'seam' of that felt isn't so pretty, on the downward angle, although it's invisible from a seating position.

The backlight also needs slightly masked out on the top left- it should just be the ring of the centre-holder itself.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
alfa146er
post 30th December 2020 12:24
Post #16 | Print

1.3 8v

Local Time: 22nd January 2021 16:54
Member No.: 13,563
Driving: Alfa 146 CF2 1.4

It looks awesome, good job Dante! I love the green led lighting as well. I've always found my passengers' reaction to the lack of cap holders hilarious, doesn't bother me though laugh.gif

It turns out the vinyl or fabric wrap is glued in and then hand stapled on all the panels. I thought mine was redone at some point but no, that's how they come from the factory. Imagine how labour intensive that was..
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 1st January 2021 22:53
Post #17 | Print

1.6 16v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 28th December 2020 23:54) *
you are very kind- but keep watching!

At this point, I should reveal that I wanted it backlit with the headlights, for night time use.
So in went a couple of 1.8mm LEDs and some drop resistors.

Initial tests revealed that the light would flood the passenger floor (or 'glow' rather than 'flood'), and so the LED positions had to be reversed to face the dash, when the cupholder was open.

(the exposure used in this low-light photography of the part, makes the illumination seem much brighter than it is in reality)

Looks great Dante - I like the colour choice, nice green glow. What's that power supply you are using? It looks a useful piece of kit to have for providing a 12v DC power.

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 29th December 2020 21:45) *
In the end, it looks like this; which I think is alright; given that it's 100% removable, and has been done without any damage to the core vehicle.

I need to redo the mounting, the additionally take advantage of the plastic-fingers on the original trim, which extend into the dash- but that'll be next year. Also the exact 'seam' of that felt isn't so pretty, on the downward angle, although it's invisible from a seating position.

The backlight also needs slightly masked out on the top left- it should just be the ring of the centre-holder itself.

Looks great. Also, if there is any spill the felt will absorb it.

Job well done thumbup.gif

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22 Jan 2021 14:54