kreidlerhansen
post 17th December 2011 00:09
Post #1 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Local Time: 16th January 2018 11:25
Member No.: 5,509
Driving: Alfa 145 1.7L 8V

I'm not exactly what you'd call an active user in here. I spend most of my time reading rather than commenting, but I figured it wouldn't hurt you lot to hear what I'm messing aruond with. And I get to dust off my English skills which most likely means this topic will be more of a novel...

Having to remove the door cards themselves is NOT what I consider 'having fun', but I decided to fit the X-overs inside the door handle (enclosed in a plastic bag) + the check strap had gone on the driver's side, so either way one door card had to come off. Might as well fit my newly acquired set of Rainbow DL-C 6.2 2-way component speakers. coolio.gif

I'd been on the hunt for a set of decent speakers to replace the standard ones. Having listened to a bunch of different setups, I fell completely in love with the sound from DynAudio's Esostar series, but knowing I'd rather not set them up perfectly anyway (i.e. 'no compromise fitting' rather than using the existing layout in the car) it would be a complete waste of ~700.
The entry level Rainbows came with a well designed 20mm soft-dome tweeter which is always my most important criteria. Titanium tweeters do nothing good to my ears no matter how much most people would classify me as a masochist due to my Alfa ownership... biggrin.gif tongue.gif

So, being very anti-Alfa and settling for a reasonable compromise I got them fitted. Firstly, I screwed up when fitting them as I was OCD-like enough to focus on the letters on the woofer was level rather than checking up on clearance. blush.gif Thus the door itself shorted out both terminals and much to my horror both the tweeter and woofer played only tweeter notes on the driver's side! rant.gif
I fixed the clearance issue, reminding myself that the original grilles were to be fitted anyway and the passenger's side worked out perfectly. Driver's side made me sigh, shrug and grab the tools to go at it again!
IF the X-over was fried I AM capable of soldering... neatly? BWAHAHAAA! wink.gif No, but with a 99% success rate with my past soldering projects (including rewiring a motorcycle completely after fitting an aftermarket ignition system) I'm not scared of doing it. I'd just rather not.

It turns out I'd completely messed up when fitting the speaker wires!!! blink.gif I'd connected the woofer to 'IN', tweeter to 'tweeter' and headunit out to 'woofer'!!! whistle.gif
Of course the plastic thingies wouldn't go where they were supposed to, so refitting took the better part of an hour. I must've picked these... these... patience tiring, 16 years old, hardened plastic, Italian tempered and annoying clips up from the ground 100 times over before everything went into place!!!

And now the window won't go up properly because the rubber seal drags too hard on the window... Oh well, Winter's coming and I've planned to take everything apart in the Spring, anyway.

The door cards have been stuffed with a combo of alu-butyl and bitumen mats. I should've done the doors themselves as well, but due to the cold weather and my complete lack of patience, taking the doors off to drag them to my flat on the 3rd floor was simply not an option.
Working with any kind of adhesive in this kind of weather has never proved to work out perfectly so I'll be taking it all apart again next year. I learned this with my old Fiat...

The headunit was replaced with a Pioneer DEH-6700MP, which colourwise gets very close to the green instrument back light, AND blends in quite well with the rest of the design. Pictures will follow - at least of the headunit. There's not much to see regarding the speakers as they are well hidden.

Compared to the Hertz Energy speakers I fitted to me good'ol Fiat Seicento a few years ago, the Rainbow kit is... just better in every single way I can (and can't) explain. Even underpowered by the 27W RMS from the Pioneer unit, the detail and control is not only from another planet... try a different solar system! And, I might add, the Hertz ESK163L was powered by an Audison SRx3 punching out 65W RMS under a 4 Ohm load!

Oh, yeah... speaking of Audison, I've found myself another SRx3 AND a Hertz ML2500 (10") sub, both of which will be fitted WHEN the weather gets better OR my patience runs out!
The Mille Air will be fitted to a stealth box over the left wheel arch in the boot and I'm still not sure where to place the amp. huh.gif

I've considered fitting a set of 5.25" co-ax speakers in the rear side cards and wiring them up in series with the front speakers to get an 8 Ohm load. Also, the Mille could be replaced by a newer one with 2 x 4 Ohm voice coils; Again to get the 8 Ohm load.

I'm not looking for an SPL Bass Drag setup so I'm looking to keep loads down and focusing on control. Also to be kind to my alternator/generator and not to risk anything as all I have is 8AWG power wire and no intention of upgrading. The Seicento was done with 2AWG and what a damned pain to get that bloody cable routed from front to back... no3.gif

There you go, a novel as promised earlier! tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
kreidlerhansen
post 17th December 2011 00:17
Post #2 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Local Time: 16th January 2018 11:25
Member No.: 5,509
Driving: Alfa 145 1.7L 8V

Oh... the Fiat was fitted with a Peerless XLS10d4 sub. Running the dual voice coil in a 2 Ohm setup on the SRx3 was... somewhere between 'silly' and 'pointless'.

I'm looking for the sound experience, not for the OTT levels of volume that both kill my hearing and steals that last edge of awareness on the road. wink.gif
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16 Jan 2018 11:25