Antonio
post 18th October 2017 22:21
Post #41 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Local Time: 14th November 2019 05:47
Member No.: 12,458
Driving: 146 Boxer 16v, 146 Ti Fl, 145 Qv Fl

Well, I've been out for a time, but now it's time to give a bump to the thread cool.gif

After some time living with the scratched paintwork, finally decided to somehow try to fix it. The main problem was that the scratched in most places arrived to the base coat, so I Had to fill the scratches with clear coat and flatten the clear coat line with the rest of the surface..as it was my first time respraying a full car, the finish wasn't nearly the best, but nothing that couldn't be improved, so decided to wet sand all the panels -except bonnet and trunk- and the doing a 3-step polishing process to reach a better finish, as there were lots of places with orange peel unsure.gif

First tests learning level of cutting, clear coat hardness..

Then, started to sand all the panels

This is the wing of the side of the car that was scratched by a stupid, maybe was the panel on wich I achieved best results regarding the scratch fix..mad me, this was my first time doing lacquer wet sanding
and machine polishing oops.gif . Next attemps done on another cars showed better results..bad idea to start with worst scenario possible..

After all sanding job was done, gave it a thorough clean with pressurized water biggrin.gif

Then, polishing process started, masked everything, and did some guides to help to use polish compounds as it should be

At this time, I did not have enough free time to take shots to another panels, only from the roof

First step: Menzerna 300 and rotative polisher w/wool pad

Second step: Menzerna PF2500 and rotative polisher w/polishing pad

Third step: Menzerna SF4000 and Dual Action polisher w/Scholl Honey Spider pad (lacquer has very poor hardness). Shot taken after cleaning with CarPro Eraser

More on next post..

This post has been edited by Antonio: 19th October 2017 13:24
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Antonio
post 19th October 2017 13:27
Post #42 | Print

1.3 8v

Then polished the glass with CarPro Ceriglass, gave it another thorough clean to finish off sealing the work with FK1000P synthetic wax thumbup.gif. But it wasn't the final touch, this was the final touch wich I was expecting for so much time!! wub.gif

Pics of the whole car

Moving onto another part of the car, got a fuse holder from a scrapyard to replace the one on the car wich I broke when I took out the steering rack. It's not best one, but at I least I can hold it with the main fusebox as it should be wink.gif

The car it's been parked on garage since past December, taking place of the 155 wich is now alive. This was all the work done till now, there are a few task pending like fitting this front engine support, the one in the car is seriously damaged.

Another task pending was to find a rear right hand door card, as it was broken before owning the car. Never found with flat grey cloth, so buyed the cheapest and scratch-free one and swapped the lining

The damaged one without lining

New one with lining fitted

Got to fit it, had to fit two new of those yellow "covers" where door cards clips enters

Door card fitted

At last, some pics of the new floor mats fitted biggrin.gif

It's all I have, I'm planning on fitting a working battery, wash it as it has lots of dust and give it a little run before real winter comes here...as a bonus, some pics of how looks now..need to find a spare MAF as this was fitted to the 155

Cheers

This post has been edited by Antonio: 19th October 2017 13:31
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 19th October 2017 16:04
Post #43 | Print

1.6 16v

Group: Veteran
Local Time: 14th November 2019 03:47
Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

Great work and lightening fast too! worshippy.gif

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Antonio
post 19th October 2017 21:03
Post #44 | Print

1.3 8v

Thanks Ganz thumbsup.gif But all those pics almost have one year now, between first time I saw the paintwork scratched and the time I ended polishing it there were three full months...If I would have to do it now, maybe this time would be +6 months.. Such a shame that I can't afford to put it on the road again in short-term, but I have many car and a bike project running, so can't complain...good things arrive to who await.

Leaving aside this miss, with no content to post here, I think it's time to start the thread of my current project, a Ph3 146 Ti, wich is on initial stages considering the remaining work biggrin.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 20th October 2017 08:54
Post #45 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

Hey Antonio-

what terrific results! I had a go at machine polishing the whole car earlier in the year. My car has had some very poor paintwork done in the past, from the wings forwards, following a smash in earlier life. But everything from the doors back came up great!

Although, at the time, the results were good- I'm not sure how they have rolled off, following a summer of fairly harsh storage conditions. But, for a 1st wave cleanup- it went okay. Pics attached, and from last week also.

with regard to your forthcoming 146Ti thread!! I couldn't find an emoticon of a panting-dog! So, take it from me- there IS an audience for a such a thread!!!

P.S.- have you got any pictures of the door card off, from the reverse- or of the door, with the doorcard removed..?
P.P.S.- where did you source those mats..??

This post has been edited by dante giacosa: 20th October 2017 08:57
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Antonio
post 20th October 2017 20:05
Post #46 | Print

1.3 8v

Seems like your paint is monocoat, so after polishing the improvement was impressive, wasn't it? This paint is tricky to keep bright and swirl-free, red colours fade a lot and even more in monocoat format...I would at least apply some sealant, should help a bit.

Good to hear my threads have some readers, because here seems like the difference between people who read and people who read&post is huge..

About the pics of the door, maybe this helps you

The mats were ordered at a Spanish company, but they aren't the best by far..this time I spent a bit more and buyed a set for father's 155, those are better made

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 21st October 2017 08:28
Post #47 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

Hey Antonio,

Thanks for that door shot; that's very useful to me- I am just holding out for a picture of the internal door, with he card off now..!

Those mats do look great in the 155.

Funny what you've said about the paint there- because I've just remembered that I have a laquer layer on the roof! Which would denote a complete- respray, wouldn't it?- I mean: the whole car, below the roof, must have been resprayed...
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Antonio
post 22nd October 2017 18:35
Post #48 | Print

1.3 8v

Maybe yes, or the roof was resprayed at another repair shop, who knows..
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
effkay
post 23rd October 2017 09:26
Post #49 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 14th November 2019 04:47
Member No.: 6,340
Driving: Alfa 145 2.0 Cloverleaf, Subaru Impreza WRX PPP

Looks good. Come and tidy mine up! whistle.gif