purple
post 8th July 2009 21:32
Post #1 | Print

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderator
Local Time: 22nd November 2019 22:03
Member No.: 32
Driving: 145 QV 1996, Alfa 166 2.5 24v, Alfa 75 V6 2.5

Up to now, I always thought the drain holes that we had to keep an eye on to prevent water gettin in were under the squashy rubber blocks up by the bonnet hinges, well there are more that can let even more water in, simple to remedy, but you need to know where to look.

This all came about through jacking the car up to refit a side skirt and a couple of pints of water came gushing out, the following details how to fix/prevent the problem.

First, note all the crap that has come off the trees, that is what blocks up the drain holes

Attached File  IMG_0277.JPG ( 180.93k ) Number of downloads: 418

next up, you need to get under the bonnet, on the face of it, doesn't look too bad

Attached File  IMG_0278.JPG ( 162.91k ) Number of downloads: 251

yank out the rubber blocks, but not much crap in there and water runs freely away

Attached File  IMG_0276.JPG ( 91.32k ) Number of downloads: 236

just yanks out

and then check the other side

Attached File  IMG_0275.JPG ( 117.93k ) Number of downloads: 189

so we need to get under that black plastic covering to really see what is going on, to do this, remove the rubber sealing strip, it just pulls away

Attached File  IMG_0274.JPG ( 156.02k ) Number of downloads: 201

before the black panels come away, the wiper arms have to come off,

remove the plastic stopper

Attached File  IMG_0273.JPG ( 131.07k ) Number of downloads: 192

then get a 13mm socket on the nuts holding the wiper on, undo, then the arm will just need lifting away, then do the other side

Attached File  IMG_0272.JPG ( 138.2k ) Number of downloads: 194

now its time to tackle those panels

the panels are in two halves, secured by three screws at the bottom, simply undo

Attached File  IMG_0271.JPG ( 149.46k ) Number of downloads: 192

the top is held in by a series of poppers, the coincide with the smooth square shapes you can see at the top of the panel, simply slide you fingers underneath and lever them out. Once free they are tricky to remove as the corner of the bonnet makes it hard to remove and the bonnet has the be lowered, an assistant is useful at this point

Attached File  IMG_0270.JPG ( 142.08k ) Number of downloads: 179

with the panels out of the way (well sort of, the washer pipes are underneath which restricts movement), you can see more clearly the poppers

Attached File  IMG_0269.JPG ( 183.52k ) Number of downloads: 242

next up is removal of the splash guard, unclip, allow to drop a little into the space below and move clear

Attached File  IMG_0267.JPG ( 112.59k ) Number of downloads: 206

now if you peer into the space under the wiper motor you will see a drain hole, this is the one that was full of crap on my car, which meant that the water was overflowing down the heater intake and on to my new carpet rant.gif

this pic is once it has been cleaned out, there is still some gunge under there but not having the hands of a six year old, I could not get to that bit. I used some ordinary electrical flex to poke down the hole, flexible enough to bend, yet strong enough to poke through, the pic shows the white flex poking in the hole

Attached File  IMG_0263.JPG ( 142.9k ) Number of downloads: 259

the other side is easier to get at, not so easy to take a pic of, again I have the flex in to show where the hole is, its much near the end, by the driver side wiper spindle

Attached File  IMG_0265.JPG ( 99.37k ) Number of downloads: 203

and finally check the drain holes under the rubber blocks

Attached File  IMG_0262_2.JPG ( 124.97k ) Number of downloads: 221

refitting is the reverse pretty much, just make sure the wipers go on in the same place thet came off.

The problem is not just concerned with getting the carpet wet, if water gets under the carpet, the sound deadening felt gets wet and will rot the car out from the inside, the floor is not galvanized and, we are getting to the stage where quite a few cars are haviing problems with rust, 156s also as they are based on the 146 floor pan.

I was not aware of any issues with my car, until I found the rust, and while the carpet was out we had a down pour, the floor had half inch of water in (and the weldrs had sealed up the drain holes rant.gif ) I thought I fixed it until today.

I hope this helps someone and helps save a few cars in the future.

and the white glove is not paying homage to Michael Jackson, just to stop my hands getting dirty biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
langers
post 9th July 2009 06:05
Post #2 | Print

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderator
Local Time: 22nd November 2019 21:03
Member No.: 3,059
Driving: Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 1.4 TFSI COD

Nice write up Purple, glad you found the source!!!

--------------------

'96 Purple 145 QV died from rust - '98 Blue Junior SOLD - '99 Red 145 QV 20VT SOLD - '97 145 QV Track Tart SOLD
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
rvrboy
post 25th March 2014 08:16
Post #3 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Local Time: 23rd November 2019 10:03
Member No.: 11,575
Driving: alfa 146 ts

Thats good to know where those drain holes are. A usefull tip when clearing drain holes/pipes etc ,is to use that plastic covered stretchy curtain wire, used it with great effect when cleaning out the sunroof drains on my HPE. thanks Gerry
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 30th September 2019 22:21
Post #4 | Print

1.6 16v

Group: Veteran
Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

Just had some water come into the passenger side floor wells. Anyone also having this problem may want to check this thread.
Other items to check:
1. Door seal2. Grommet under the nearside wheel arch plastic cover3. Sunroof drain pipes - I've no idea how to get to them other than taking all the headlining off again sad.gif

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 1st October 2019 06:28
Post #5 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

good tip Ganz; thanks-

personally, in sunroof-less 146.gif -land, I have found the biggest risk to be the rear light clusters.

A lot of you lads won't have this; but the way the hatchback-glass drains into channels which exit across the tops of the light clusters; means that if you have a slight gap in the cluster-to-body seal; your boot is going to fill with water.

Seemingly most of these cars develop a hole under the alarm on the OS; but for me; it was coming on the NS, under the passenger side light cluster.

Not any more...

However; my personal advice for anyone owning car of this age; is to keep it under a cover when not in use...

This post has been edited by dante giacosa: 1st October 2019 06:30
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 5th October 2019 20:36
Post #6 | Print

1.6 16v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 1st October 2019 07:28) *
good tip Ganz; thanks-

personally, in sunroof-less 146.gif -land, I have found the biggest risk to be the rear light clusters.

A lot of you lads won't have this; but the way the hatchback-glass drains into channels which exit across the tops of the light clusters; means that if you have a slight gap in the cluster-to-body seal; your boot is going to fill with water.

Seemingly most of these cars develop a hole under the alarm on the OS; but for me; it was coming on the NS, under the passenger side light cluster.

Not any more...
However; my personal advice for anyone owning car of this age; is to keep it under a cover when not in use...

On my 145 there was a lot of rot in the drain area in the boot. I had to cut the rot out in the area where the Philips alarm was the worst side. There was also rot between the rear wheel arches and where they meet with the body.

I've checked the drain areas in the windscreen scuttle and all the drains seem to be working. I poured water down them and it drained on to the ground. There was no water in the footwell. I'm having to rip the carpets out and ecu as sound proofing carpet as damp as anything and wet even though it was 6 days ago. I hope the poking around the drain holes clear something but I suspect the source of the water leak remains. Looking forward to the next day of heavy rain unsure.gif

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 6th October 2019 19:01
Post #7 | Print

1.6 16v

Ripped out the passenger carpet and it was still soaked.

Attached File  Alfa_Romeo_145_interior1.jpg ( 650.32k ) Number of downloads: 14

The black felt backed carpet I brought was wet through from last Sunday. It appears to hold on to the moisture a bit too well. It would have taken years to dried out!! So took it all out and leaving the floor pan with the Dynamat matting. Easier to soak up any water in the future if indeed it happens again and more like a track car as I can see the ECU smile.gif

Attached File  Alfa_Romeo_145_dynamat_2.jpg ( 460.81k ) Number of downloads: 11

Original Dynamat back in 2014.

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 7th October 2019 16:56
Post #8 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

what does this mean, Ganz-

what's the culprit..?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 12th October 2019 20:37
Post #9 | Print

1.6 16v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 7th October 2019 17:56) *
what does this mean, Ganz-

what's the culprit..?

Well, I cleared all the drain points under the windscreen scuttle. They all seem to drain ok as I lured water down them and watched the water drain from under the car. The large drain hole in the middle of the wiper had some evidence of moss when I stuck a piece of wire down there. The only thing I noticed was the black plastic cover that sits above the green heater fan was not positioned as in the pics from the thread originator(pic 11). Mine was sitting right on top of the square opening and I wonder whether it was preventing water from exiting through the large drain hole. Anyway, it has not leaked since. I dried out the felt carpet so no more moisture on the floor pan and all carpets are back in thumbsup.gif

This post has been edited by Ganz: 12th October 2019 20:39

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
duemila
post 15th October 2019 12:12
Post #10 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Local Time: 22nd November 2019 22:03
Member No.: 10,639
Driving: alfa 145 qv

QUOTE(Ganz @ 30th September 2019 23:21) *
Just had some water come into the passenger side floor wells. Anyone also having this problem may want to check this thread.
Other items to check:
1. Door seal2. Grommet under the nearside wheel arch plastic cover3. Sunroof drain pipes - I've no idea how to get to them other than taking all the headlining off again sad.gif

What do you mean by the sunroof drain pipes, there should be a hole in each corner when you open the sunroof, I unblocked mine with an air line and some crap came out in front of the scuttle, or do you mean something else
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22 Nov 2019 21:03