dante giacosa
post 28th November 2017 09:30
Post #1 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 16th December 2017 20:41
Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

Well, it's just about 'that time' of year again- here in the northern hemisphere.

repeated significant frosts recently have left my 146.gif battery feeling dented, but 'okay' actually! But that probably can't last...

some other seasonal fixes have become important- the juddering from wiper motor. I've been into the front scuttle-panel before, earlier in the year, and gave it a reasonable tidy out of birds-nests and bee-hives, but last night; I thought I would go the extra mile. I am always surprised to discover that it is only the two wiper-arm 13mm nuts which hold these two halves of the scuttle-panel down.

I had to remove the wiper-mechanism to examine the motor, just to make sure I am getting the right one, and whilst it was out it allowed a good scrub and wash out of the entire area. A hose would have been a good idea for this (once the cabin-ventilation intake had been taped up) but I don't have one- so I use a 5 litre watering-can (with sprinkle-top removed) and I poured two of them through the scuttle area last night.

Two things to watch out for during this are; soil and the drain point.

I've found soil collects under the bonnet hinges, in the top of the wings; trapped sometimes in part by the under bonnet-hinge rubber bungs. But even behind these bungs, a bit further up; I found significant deposits; right under the bottom corners of the windscreen glass. Get a toothbrush and some water and rinse that stuff RIGHT out!

The other spot, which can be a problem if it clogs, is the scuttle panel drain point. If this clogs- your scuttle panel is going to become a portable-pond; leading to a potential MAJOR corrosion trap, plus the possibility of water getting into your cabin heater system and the car steaming up; which you don't want.
The drain point is RIGHT underneath the wiper motor on RHD cars, and is the lowest point of the scuttle area. A plastic hose tube lines the drain, and you've got to make sure this is totally free of leaves & cobwebs or anything else.

Anyway- I got the info off the wiper-motor and gave the whole area a scrub, a rinse, then a wash with car-shampoo soapy suds, and then another rinse.

I discovered mine was happily free of any corrosion (which is incredible), but I did see a spot of exposed metal and got some paint on there quick-smart. I'll probably POR 15 the whole aperture in the spring, but at the moment I think it'll get through the winter no problem.

This post has been edited by dante giacosa: 28th November 2017 10:12
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
alfaeire
post 3rd December 2017 17:18
Post #2 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: New Member
Member No.: 10,973
Driving: 145 1.4TS

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 28th November 2017 09:30) *
Well, it's just about 'that time' of year again- here in the northern hemisphere.

repeated significant frosts recently have left my 146.gif battery feeling dented, but 'okay' actually! But that probably can't last...

some other seasonal fixes have become important- the juddering from wiper motor. I've been into the front scuttle-panel before, earlier in the year, and gave it a reasonable tidy out of birds-nests and bee-hives, but last night; I thought I would go the extra mile. I am always surprised to discover that it is only the two wiper-arm 13mm nuts which hold these two halves of the scuttle-panel down.

I had to remove the wiper-mechanism to examine the motor, just to make sure I am getting the right one, and whilst it was out it allowed a good scrub and wash out of the entire area. A hose would have been a good idea for this (once the cabin-ventilation intake had been taped up) but I don't have one- so I use a 5 litre watering-can (with sprinkle-top removed) and I poured two of them through the scuttle area last night.

Two things to watch out for during this are; soil and the drain point.

I've found soil collects under the bonnet hinges, in the top of the wings; trapped sometimes in part by the under bonnet-hinge rubber bungs. But even behind these bungs, a bit further up; I found significant deposits; right under the bottom corners of the windscreen glass. Get a toothbrush and some water and rinse that stuff RIGHT out!

The other spot, which can be a problem if it clogs, is the scuttle panel drain point. If this clogs- your scuttle panel is going to become a portable-pond; leading to a potential MAJOR corrosion trap, plus the possibility of water getting into your cabin heater system and the car steaming up; which you don't want.
The drain point is RIGHT underneath the wiper motor on RHD cars, and is the lowest point of the scuttle area. A plastic hose tube lines the drain, and you've got to make sure this is totally free of leaves & cobwebs or anything else.

Anyway- I got the info off the wiper-motor and gave the whole area a scrub, a rinse, then a wash with car-shampoo soapy suds, and then another rinse.

I discovered mine was happily free of any corrosion (which is incredible), but I did see a spot of exposed metal and got some paint on there quick-smart. I'll probably POR 15 the whole aperture in the spring, but at the moment I think it'll get through the winter no problem.

Top tip and good job must do the same to our 145 now the winter has arrived. I leave the rubber pads out at the bonnet hinges as the absorb water and block drain holes, no down side
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
VROOM
post 3rd December 2017 19:42
Post #3 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 13,153
Driving: BRERA, GIULIETTA, 145QV

Attached Image
I had a small rust hole by the rubber grommet. Easily fixed, but only apparent after poking with a screw driver.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 3rd December 2017 21:10
Post #4 | Print

1.4 16v

Hey Alfaeire-

I can't knock that, as advice actually.

There MUST be some reason for those rubber bangs in the corner- but I can't think what it is- just to stop leaves reaching the engine through the gap, I suppose..?
I leave 'em in, for the sake of originality, but it's certainly to the detriment of the car- as, as you say; they are always wet.

Oh! Which rubber grommet VROOM? The drain point..? (Not in that picture, no?)

How did you fix it..?

That's quite an interesting colour your rocking there! coolio.gif Is that a grey- like a Grigio vulcano, or something..?

[actually, as an update; I fitted my 30 eBay wiper motor from a '96 145.gif and it's worked a treat! I've stripped the old one apart and can't really find anything wrong with it within the motor. Maybe it's literally just the grease in the contact rings on the gearbox that throws the whole thing off]

This post has been edited by dante giacosa: 3rd December 2017 21:18
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
shpuncik
post 4th December 2017 01:01
Post #5 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Local Time: 16th December 2017 22:41
Member No.: 12,980
Driving: 145 1.6 Boxer; 145 1.9JTD Edizione Sportiva

Had a hole exactly at the same spot as in VROOM's picture (you can see it deep down below bolt which holds wiper mechanism) just mirrored as mine is EU spec. As not in the mood for welding all the spots around the car I have repaired it with adhesive bitumen tape with top layer of aluminum foil. Sticks to surface like nothing else - can't pull apart. Overpainted it. Hope holds otherwise will flood my fuse box and bye bye Alfa biggrin.gif

Always wondered about those side "pillows" near hinges. I guess they are sound proof insulation. Seen them on 156 and even some other makes. Just when new on Alfa the surface is somehow melted so this sponge won't absorb water but with time it just deteriorates. Seen on other makes similar sponges and they were packed in plastic bags so they won't get soaked with water.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 4th December 2017 08:20
Post #6 | Print

1.4 16v

that hole- of yeah... I suppose so- that area was quite rough on mine actually, paintwise; although no corrosion as such

and thats one of the hidden killer-spots on these cars isn't it? who, really, checks under their wiper mechanism for rust!? And yet it's wet, most of the time (country dependant, of course Antonio!)

Bitumen tape & aluminium foil... ooh! Did you treat the spot before the tape, Valdas...?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
sanitary
post 4th December 2017 09:38
Post #7 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 662
Driving: in front of you

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 3rd December 2017 21:10) *
Hey Alfaeire-

I can't knock that, as advice actually.

There MUST be some reason for those rubber bangs in the corner- but I can't think what it is- just to stop leaves reaching the engine through the gap, I suppose..?
I leave 'em in, for the sake of originality, but it's certainly to the detriment of the car- as, as you say; they are always wet.

Oh! Which rubber grommet VROOM? The drain point..? (Not in that picture, no?)

How did you fix it..?

That's quite an interesting colour your rocking there! coolio.gif Is that a grey- like a Grigio vulcano, or something..?

[actually, as an update; I fitted my 30 eBay wiper motor from a '96 145.gif and it's worked a treat! I've stripped the old one apart and can't really find anything wrong with it within the motor. Maybe it's literally just the grease in the contact rings on the gearbox that throws the whole thing off]

removed the sponge/rubber things from both the 145 and 155
the 155's were full of water hence the binning and I have no idea what they are for, no mention in the ePer parts catalogue

as for the wiper judder try the technical section on http://www.alfa155.co.uk/
it gives a step by step instruction on how to fix the problem with grease

san
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 4th December 2017 12:12
Post #8 | Print

1.4 16v

Thanks San-

GE on here did a terrific guide which I have read- but I shall look into it further indeed!

Thankyou
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 4th December 2017 13:13
Post #9 | Print

1.4 16v

IMMENSE-

I understand it now-

It's the wrong type of grease!

I wasn't sure why you would remove the grease to add more grease.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
alfaeire
post 5th December 2017 20:56
Post #10 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 10,973
Driving: 145 1.4TS

The rubber blocks at the hinges are for soundproofing, but as they hold water they induce rust on suspension pillars. If you really want to keep them, wrap then neatly in cling film so they wont absorb and retain water. The middle drainage hole can be reached from engine bay and cleared somewhat but cover off as above is the top job.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
VROOM
post 5th December 2017 21:18
Post #11 | Print

1.3 8v

I removed the rust from the hole, fibre glassed it and then painted with seam seal. No need to weld as its non-structural and hidden from view and knocks etc.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 6th December 2017 11:44
Post #12 | Print

1.4 16v

wow!

got a picture of that?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
VROOM
post 8th December 2017 18:34
Post #13 | Print

1.3 8v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 6th December 2017 11:44) *
wow!

got a picture of that?

No - didn't take a photo. Wish I had before I put the plastic back. Looks like new now and also coated the "gutter" area with dinitrol wax. Did you manage to get the hoses off the washer jets OK? The angled plugs on both my jets just snapped off as the tubes were stuck solid. Had to glue them back on in the end.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 8th December 2017 20:20
Post #14 | Print

1.4 16v

You know what?

I think I could see it was going to go badly- so I left 'em connected.

If you see my first picture at the top of this thread- you can see the scuttle panels on top of the engine still on the hoses
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
shpuncik
post 9th December 2017 14:50
Post #15 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Local Time: 16th December 2017 22:41
Member No.: 12,980
Driving: 145 1.6 Boxer; 145 1.9JTD Edizione Sportiva

QUOTE(VROOM @ 8th December 2017 20:34) *
Did you manage to get the hoses off the washer jets OK? The angled plugs on both my jets just snapped off as the tubes were stuck solid. Had to glue them back on in the end.

next time use heat gun - heat them up enough so they get softer and remove them. after they cool down they return back to solid state.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 10th December 2017 09:44
Post #16 | Print

1.4 16v

Hey-

That's a great tip! I would never have thought of that...
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
VROOM
post 10th December 2017 18:09
Post #17 | Print

1.3 8v

QUOTE(shpuncik @ 9th December 2017 14:50) *
next time use heat gun - heat them up enough so they get softer and remove them. after they cool down they return back to solid state.

Of course - should have thought of that. Changed the thermostat the other day and the 17yr old hoses came off like a dream after a blast with a hair dryer
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 10th December 2017 21:42
Post #18 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

This was one of the first jobs i did on my 45.

This post has been edited by Ganz: 10th December 2017 21:43

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16 Dec 2017 20:41