IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nurburgring Weekend, Update......you MUST download this vid!!
sweens308
post 20th September 2005 07:33
Post #1 | Print

1.7 16v

Group: Veteran
Local Time: 23rd September 2018 06:17
Member No.: 773
Driving: Mercedes 230TE and BMW E12 M535i

Following on from the other posts, I got back at 9.30 last night, the car and myself in one piece! Wow, what a weekend, am sure Pimp and AJ will agree, it's an amazing experience, just being there is an event, driving it in my own car was just fantastic. It's also a simply glorious setting, the roads and scenery around Nurburg are really stunning.

Was great to meet up with some fellow Alfa owners, but a pretty poor showing from the (so-called) Alfa 156 forum (just 1 car and not even the guy's who organised it!).

I did 3 laps in my own car, the best was definitely on the Sunday, about 6.00, in-between several closures, also just before they closed it, following a big crash just after I went out. The track was totally bone-dry all the way round, I had a really clear run and just had a bloody ball!

As well as my own laps I did a great passenger lap in Pimp's Aga, which was great fun. There were several UK Nova boys there this weekend and one of them went totally sideways (I'm told it's called 'novasteer'!) alongside us at Adenau Forst. I also did a mind-blowing lap in a stripped out, semi-slick shod E30 M3 track car, AJ went in that too, Its quite an experience!

I also blagged a lap on the Sunday morning with a guy in a UK Alfa GTV, he was absolutely ragging the thing round the track, kerbs n' all. Halfway round he pointed out that he was secretly filming the lap, via a tiny bullet camera. I then realised why there was a cunning wiring loom going round the dash and behind!

I'm just about to upload a stack load of photos from my camera, including (I hope) a couple of Sabine, from the Sunday. I'll try to sort out posting a link to them as soon as I can.

This post has been edited by sweens308: 29th October 2005 17:28

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
miaspa
post 20th September 2005 08:15
Post #2 | Print

1.7 16v

Local Time: 23rd September 2018 07:17
Member No.: 137
Driving: awaiting new toy!!

How did your car cope with the track, did it have any problems grounding out etc.
The other thing apart from going off the track that worries me is holding up quick cars or was the 145.gif performing well enough not to have to many major issues.

Glad you enjoyed it, would love to try it rolleyes.gif

--------------------
www.fig08.co.uk Pike cars needed.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
sweens308
post 20th September 2005 08:39
Post #3 | Print

1.7 16v

No I didn't have any grounding out problems at all, not even on the Karrussell or the 'compression' section, where it's a drop followed by an immediate climb, I think it's called the Fuchsrohre. I think even if it were lowered and more importantly, stiffened it would still be fine, there were plenty of lowered cars, including the 145 V6 going round with no problems.

To be honest I wasn't ragging mine round like some were, whilst there's plenty of power to cope with the track and on the Toyo's it grips fabulously, the stock suspension and brakes on mine aren't really set up for track use, I bet on a lowered stiffened set up, with a strut brace and uprated discs, pads and fluid it would go round quicker, with obviously less body roll.

I wasn't relying too much on the brakes, there were far too many tales of brakes giving up halfway through laps (including Chris' 156 V6 - I think AJ was out with him when he had a 'pedal straight down to the floor' moment?!). Pimp's 156 on fast road pads seemed to cope fine.

Insofar as holding up other cars are concerned, that was my worry before going, but it really wasn't a problem, the 145 has plenty of power there, even the heavy uphill sections, so it's not disgracing itself. Sure there are countless other cars that have more power and are quicker in the bends, but once you see them in your mirrors, its just a case of moving over, they're soon past you. I don't mind admitting that I did get overtaken by a screaming Nova, but then most of the Nova boys were driving like utter c*cks, with this 'on-off' throttle style. I was happy to get out of their way!

Everyone just goes at their own pace, you simply don't have to be piloting a 500bhp 911 GT3 to get something out of it. In fact, some of the quickest cars there were the local Golfs, stripped out, caged and stiffened. Most were simply flying round the bends, with no trace of body roll at all.

I heartily recommend the experience!

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Hamish
post 20th September 2005 09:33
Post #4 | Print

1.6 8v

Group: Regular
Member No.: 523
Driving: Lotus Elise

was nice to see you guys there, guess you all got home ok.

Its all about earning those stickers!!! lol biggrin.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
sweens308
post 20th September 2005 11:40
Post #5 | Print

1.7 16v

Yes indeed, great seeing some fellow owners. A good time was had by all.

Re the ring stickers, yes I agree they have to be earned, it's no good putting one on your car if you've driven the 'ring on GT4 or are, ahem, 'preparing to go'. Take note! tongue.gif

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Daaaveee
post 20th September 2005 12:23
Post #6 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 947
Driving: BMW Z3 2.8

QUOTE(sweens308 @ Sep 20 2005, 11:40 AM)
Yes indeed, great seeing some fellow owners.  A good time was had by all.

Re the ring stickers, yes I agree they have to be earned, it's no good putting one on your car if you've driven the 'ring on GT4 or are, ahem, 'preparing to go'.  Take note!  tongue.gif

kiss my ass tongue.gif

laugh.gif

glad you had such a good time, shame i couldn't make it sad.gif looking forward to the pictures biggrin.gif

Dave

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
AJ
post 20th September 2005 19:41
Post #7 | Print

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2
Driving: Alfa 145 Turbo, BMW 330cd, GTV 2.0 Lusso

That E30 M3 was awesome, Paul knew the track quite well and could drive it pretty fast! Was good to see Hamish there too. Great turn out for the 156.net forum lol

The capri geehhaaa was comical - never mind how many Porsche's/BMWs/Elises/Other you are in the start up line with, everyone was looking at the Capri. Got quite a few cheers on the way round with it and a lots of people applauding when it came back, lots of people came to see it after it was parked up - complete with wipers stuck halfway across the screen after the first few turns!

ChrisH's 156 did have a s**t no brakes moment - took a few quick turns, kept up with an S2000..... no brakes for a sharp left hander (can be seen form most of mine & pimp's photos).

I was amazed how safe(!) it was - you are able to drive fast, even though you don't know what's next after the corner over a crest - straight, bend, hairpin, etc - as long as you are not wreckless you can still have fun, drive fast, and be safe.

I'd happily go along again just to watch/be passenger, you will experience nothing like it - completely different to any UK track day.

--------------------
Websites are like a**eholes, everyone has one, and im wary of any bloke trying to direct people into their's.

The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, 'Hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride...' And we ... kill those people.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
miaspa
post 21st September 2005 11:54
Post #8 | Print

1.7 16v

Member No.: 137
Driving: awaiting new toy!!

Think I may have to go, before July next whilst I still have full european break down cover and insurance.

I would love to do it, but not full out and reckless....my worry has always been about seriously quick cars giving you grief. I need to give the 145.gif a good run
with its new gearbox in and see if I can break this one within warrenty.

--------------------
www.fig08.co.uk Pike cars needed.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Hamish
post 21st September 2005 14:21
Post #9 | Print

1.6 8v

maybe a trip should be organised and a few of us 145'ers can go???? I would like to take my motor round! biggrin.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
F355
post 21st September 2005 16:38
Post #10 | Print

1.7 16v

Member No.: 855
Driving: 145qv, 146ti and Mini Cooper

Sounds like you had a good time biggrin.gif

Roll on next year!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
sweens308
post 21st September 2005 17:19
Post #11 | Print

1.7 16v

I'm more than happy to go again next year! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Reckon the fast road pads, uprated discs and strut brace are a must before then though. I may have to seriously considering having a bit of FK Suspension action going on too!

Shame I can't get hold of an adjustable set up though.....

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Daaaveee
post 21st September 2005 19:47
Post #12 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 947
Driving: BMW Z3 2.8

easter next year would be good biggrin.gif

Dave

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Hamish
post 23rd September 2005 08:45
Post #13 | Print

1.6 8v

Im up for Easter.

We will have to take a hair dryer to dry off the track for us tho lol biggrin.gif

Seriousley tho, how many of us would go around Easter?

Me + 1 smile.gif

IMORTANT INFO: it is as far as driving to scotland to get to 'Nurburg ring' so really not that far!

This post has been edited by Hamish: 23rd September 2005 08:46
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
sweens308
post 23rd September 2005 09:01
Post #14 | Print

1.7 16v

Easter sounds good, but the weather may well be a bit ropey then, that's the only danger. A May-September slot would possibly be better. I'm definitely up for a return trip, a mate of mine would probably be keen to come along too.

Agree with Hamish re distance, it's not too bad at all, around 290 miles from Calais, it's a dead easy run too, across a little bit of France, all the way across Belgium, past Spa and into Germany - motorways all the way to Prum, then a lovely 30 mile blat on glorious, empty German country roads into Nurburg. The Belgians and Germans drive better than us too!

In terms of cost, its a pretty cheap weekend/few days to be honest, it cost me around £100 on fuel there, around and back, £80 ferry, £80 hotel for 4 nights, plus a tenner per lap. £300 for a great trip is a bargain I reckon, even cheaper if you share the cost.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Hamish
post 23rd September 2005 09:31
Post #15 | Print

1.6 8v

Sounds good to me. When we went we got the train for 20quid each and it only took 30mins!!! I will ask my mate how much notice he had to give.

I think we need to get as many people to go a possible, May sounds good.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
AJ
post 23rd September 2005 09:38
Post #16 | Print

Forum Administrator

ooh May, could relocate my Birthday bash to Germany!
Sounds good, as long as I get to take the 145 this time!

--------------------
Websites are like a**eholes, everyone has one, and im wary of any bloke trying to direct people into their's.

The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, 'Hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride...' And we ... kill those people.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
sweens308
post 23rd September 2005 10:24
Post #17 | Print

1.7 16v

.....lets hope its a better turn out than that by the (so-called) 156 forum!

It's all very well them having 25 or so pages of posts about their 'meet' if lots turn up, but no blummin' point if the entire turn out is ONE car!!!!!!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I wonder what they've had to say about that?!

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
AJ
post 23rd September 2005 11:48
Post #18 | Print

Forum Administrator

Well let's face it, we needed one more 145 there to equal it, and all that happened by chance with yourself and Gari's old V6 turning up!!!!

--------------------

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
sweens308
post 23rd September 2005 11:59
Post #19 | Print

1.7 16v

Hmm, good point there AJ, but at least ours wasn't an organised trip, so just think how many 145s we could get if it were!!

The V6 145 sounded just incredible, I kid you not, the noise of that thing turned the heads of even the loudest 911 or M3 owner! It sounded awesome blasting away from the barrier, I would've loved to have heard that round the track!!!

Best noise was probably the '72 911 RS 2.7, or the new BMW M6.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Hamish
post 23rd September 2005 15:31
Post #20 | Print

1.6 8v

I wonder what 10 or so 145's will be like ripping the ring up???

Ive just had the supersprint fitted too so should be lovely! biggrin.gif

I think we should start a roster for interested people, would be great to get at least 10 of us going in a big 'uber' convoy!!! pappap.gif pappap.gif pappap.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23 Sep 2018 06:17