jlgrosvenor
post 14th August 2016 18:12
Post #1 | Print

1.6 8v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 21st November 2017 18:24
Member No.: 1,661
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf, Mercedes C320 Coupe & Volvo 440 - RIP :(

It is a sad day; I need to get rid of my beloved 145. 82,700 miles. 1999 plate. I've owned it for the past 10 years.

The good bits:
Mechanically it is 100% and has never wanted for anything. Oil change every year with Mobil 1.
It still feels like all 155 bhp are there.
Feels totally solid to drive and handles I am guessing, much like new.
A folder full of all receipts (parts and garage work, recently the work is from McEwans Garage in Derby, who are just fantastic!).
Four nearly new tyres, with 8mm of tread all round. Kumho on back, Dunlop bluresponse on front.
Belts and tensioners replaced last year (not variator, as it has only done about 10k since it was replaced).
New brake lines and hoses all round last year or the year before.
Aircon fully working and was lovely and cold today.
I could go on, but suffice to say, mechanically it is sorted and needs nothing.

The bad bits:
It has the typical stone chippings on the front end from driving (as they all do).
The drivers side rear bumper reflector has been cracked since my ownership, and I've never been able to track on down.
The floor now needs welding no.gif
It was visually okay last year, but crawling around under the car as part of my pre-MOT inspection has revealed that although I don't drive this car in the wet, ever, the floor has gone the way of what appears to be all 145s. There are small holes (50p or less size) under the rear passenger footwell, and I suspect the drivers footwell is going the same way. There is also rust developing along the floor pan next to the sill. This is far worst at the front, and non-existent at the rear, getting gradually worse the nearer to the front of the car you go. The passenger side looks obviously in better condition, but all the same things are starting and at just an earlier stage of corrosion. If this were to be fixed, both sides of the floor pan would need the same treatment.

It is due for MOT on 24th August. Unfortunately I am also looking to exchange for a first time buy of a new house the same week, and move a week later. I will not have a garage at the new place sad.gif and therefore simply do not have the time or space to sort this myself. If I had been a little more proactive, I should have checked this a few months ago, stripped the interior, put the drivers seat back in, and driven it to a local body shop for welding, painting and re-undersealing. Instead, if I cant' sell this by the 23rd, I will be driving it to the scrapyard.

There are only 136 licenced 145 cloverleafs left, and that must include some P1s, so I suspect there are fewer that 100 of these left on the road. I haven't seen one for years around the Derby area.

Is anyone interested in this for around 500? I'm not selling it privately for scrap value, and I'm not expecting anyone is interested in saving it, but you never know.

The worst bit near the front
Attached Image

Heading backwards along the sill
Attached Image

Heading backwards along the sill
Attached Image

The holes in the floor of the passenger footwell (drivers side)
Attached Image

Potential holes in the floor of the drivers footwell
Attached Image

The remainder of the underside looks pretty good, with only some minor surface corrosion along the panels either side of the exhaust
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

This post has been edited by jlgrosvenor: 14th August 2016 18:38
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
effkay
post 15th August 2016 08:36
Post #2 | Print

1.4 16v

Local Time: 21st November 2017 17:24
Member No.: 6,340
Driving: Alfa 145 2.0 Cloverleaf, Subaru Impreza WRX PPP

That rust doesn't look too bad - in all the usual places. Sure it can be rescued.

I'd also get some nice photos of the rest of the car up too to show off its nice bits. Good luck with the sale!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
jlgrosvenor
post 15th August 2016 10:21
Post #3 | Print

1.6 8v

Grabbed some snaps this morning before setting off for work.
Also photos of all four wheels. The scuffs around the alloys are all very minor and incredibly shallow; the scuffs are not really noticable when walking past the car. And they ALL caused by clumsey tyre fitters over the years, rather than kerbing! Grrr! rant.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Red dot drilled and grooved discs. Pagid pads. I think I have the red dot fast road pads kicking around, but I changed them because they squeal a little and definately need to be warmed before they work properly. Discs and pads have very very little wear.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

This post has been edited by jlgrosvenor: 15th August 2016 10:32
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Nigel145
post 15th August 2016 17:57
Post #4 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 10,847
Driving: Alfa 145

I would think that wouldn't cost too much to weld. Would be a real shame to scrap it as the body work looks tidy.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
jlgrosvenor
post 15th August 2016 21:12
Post #5 | Print

1.6 8v

The body work is tidy, except for some very very minor car park dings on the door. They are really ripples that you need to see in the right light.

Scrap value appears to be 67, so stuff that. I would rather use it as one-way transport for a trip to Germany, dump it one a side street and get a flight home rather than give it away at that price. Totally scandalous.

Had this up on some ramps today with a welding chap. He said if I strip the interior and carpet and just leave the front seats in to unbolt with the four bolts each, he can repair all the floor and clean and reunderseal the entire car from the fuel tank forward for about 500-600. I will paint and seal the inside and refit all the interior.
Any opinions on the cost of this? Too cheap? About right? Any recommendations for people who can do this then service the car in the Derby area? I am on holiday next week, so ideally want to drop the car off by Thursday, and pick up when I get back.

I've been at it this evening and nearly everything is already out. Just the front seats to unbolt and I should be able to take the carpet out.
I was a bit worried about finding some corrosion around the rear wheel arches when I started stripping everything, but only driving in the dry appears to have done some good. The rear wheel arches appear rock solid; it really does look like it's just the floor pan.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Jim145
post 16th August 2016 06:34
Post #6 | Print

Forum Moderator

Group: Veteran
Member No.: 1,014
Driving: Mercedes C250 CDI AMG

I had one of mine welded there, it was a fair bit worse than yours too. It cost 300 and he did all the work for that. It is a few years ago, but I would imagine if you removed the interior yourself you could get it done for that kind of money. It would be a crying shame to break it. I'd have it myself, but I've just bought a car last week and am now some what skint! blush.gif

This post has been edited by Jim145: 16th August 2016 06:37

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
ChrisS
post 16th August 2016 10:07
Post #7 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 8,922
Driving: 145 if one is working, otherwise RS4 B8

QUOTE(jlgrosvenor @ 15th August 2016 22:12) *
Had this up on some ramps today with a welding chap. He said if I strip the interior and carpet and just leave the front seats in to unbolt with the four bolts each, he can repair all the floor and clean and reunderseal the entire car from the fuel tank forward for about 500-600. I will paint and seal the inside and refit all the interior.
Any opinions on the cost of this? Too cheap? About right? Any recommendations for people who can do this then service the car in the Derby area? I am on holiday next week, so ideally want to drop the car off by Thursday, and pick up when I get back.

I've been at it this evening and nearly everything is already out. Just the front seats to unbolt and I should be able to take the carpet out.
I was a bit worried about finding some corrosion around the rear wheel arches when I started stripping everything, but only driving in the dry appears to have done some good. The rear wheel arches appear rock solid; it really does look like it's just the floor pan.

Taking 'down south' prices and similar work I had done on my Blue one I'd say that quote is reasonable. OK the car isnt worth much more than that at the moment, but they arent going to be low value for ever & if you are able to keep it, it will be worthwhile long term.

Chris

--------------------
Two Cloverleafs, red 1996 (gremlins),grey 1998 (sulking) Blue 1.6 TS perfect!. Plus a red 2001 Cloverleaf for spares or restoring...decisions decisions.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
jlgrosvenor
post 17th August 2016 09:47
Post #8 | Print

1.6 8v

Interior is all stripped out; it felt super nippy on the way to work this morning. I will drop it off at the garage tonight.

What I didn't realise is the extent of the black heavy 'glue' installed to the inside of the floor pan from new. The garage removing this might bump the cost up a bit. I can see it's going to be a pain to scrape off. The current sound proofing material in the front disintegrated during removal; I think some Dynamat or similar when I come to reinstall!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Nigel145
post 17th August 2016 17:40
Post #9 | Print

1.4 16v

QUOTE(jlgrosvenor @ 17th August 2016 10:47) *
Interior is all stripped out; it felt super nippy on the way to work this morning. I will drop it off at the garage tonight.

What I didn't realise is the extent of the black heavy 'glue' installed to the inside of the floor pan from new. The garage removing this might bump the cost up a bit. I can see it's going to be a pain to scrape off. The current sound proofing material in the front disintegrated during removal; I think some Dynamat or similar when I come to reinstall!

The black stuff is hard to remove but if you freeze it with plumbers pipe freeze and hit it with a hammer it shatters biggrin.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
quiff
post 20th August 2016 08:51
Post #10 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Member No.: 11,649
Driving: Alfa 146 Ti

Hi mate, sent you a pm.

Cheers.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
romesolution
post 20th August 2016 13:02
Post #11 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 5,656
Driving: Cloverleaf, 1.8 ts, 1.7 Boxer

I welded my red one last weekend that had gone in exactly the same place, it cost me 113.25.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Professio...nQAAOSwYGFUyqLI

The carpets just fold back and the sealer just pops with a hammer....... I have never welded before, it took about 2hrs total. Came up really nice. I used gutter sealant for any tiny gaps and then Hammerite to make good.
Went straight through the MOT.

Best fun i've had for ages!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
jlgrosvenor
post 1st September 2016 10:37
Post #12 | Print

1.6 8v

Another one saved!
Car ready for collection from the garage.
500 for all welding, undersealing and MOT.

Now just to try and remember how to get the interior back in! unsure.gif

The worst bit of the drivers side rear passenger footwell repair with rust cut out and new panel welded in.
Attached Image

Replaced floor pan at front drivers side
Attached Image

Passenger front rust turned out to only be surface rust. Cleaned up, treated and undersealed.
Attached Image

This post has been edited by jlgrosvenor: 1st September 2016 13:26
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Peadar
post 1st September 2016 18:05
Post #13 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 10,638
Driving: 146

QUOTE(jlgrosvenor @ 1st September 2016 11:37) *
Another one saved!

The worst bit of the drivers side rear passenger footwell repair with rust cut out and new panel welded in.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Passenger front rust turned out to only be surface rust. Cleaned up, treated and undersealed.
Attached Image

Well worth saving especially been a cloverleaf! Is that some rust still on the driver side where the sheet metal joins together?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
jlgrosvenor
post 1st September 2016 18:08
Post #14 | Print

1.6 8v

QUOTE(Peadar @ 1st September 2016 19:05) *
Well worth saving especially been a cloverleaf! Is that some rust still on the driver side where the sheet metal joins together?

I didn't look at all rusty when under the car earlier. I will take another look in that specific area later tonight when I start the process of rebuilding and treat if necessary.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Nigel145
post 1st September 2016 18:51
Post #15 | Print

1.4 16v

Another one saved!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Looks like a good job to me.
And nice one for saving another 145
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Desperado
post 1st September 2016 19:40
Post #16 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Member No.: 7,540
Driving: 145QV

Another one saved!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Factory Finish!

--------------------
Can I start again?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
langers
post 1st September 2016 20:45
Post #17 | Print

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,059
Driving: Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 1.4 TFSI COD

Its a shame the factory was not enough to preserve these cars!

--------------------

'96 Purple 145 QV died from rust - '98 Blue Junior SOLD - '99 Red 145 QV 20VT SOLD - '97 145 QV Track Tart SOLD
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
effkay
post 2nd September 2016 09:09
Post #18 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 6,340
Driving: Alfa 145 2.0 Cloverleaf, Subaru Impreza WRX PPP

Good work - keep them on the road guys!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Macca
post 29th January 2017 12:25
Post #19 | Print

1.6 16v

Group: Veteran
Member No.: 5,285
Driving: Alfa 145 Cloverleaf

Really good to see another one saved! Is it still for sale as I know someone who is looking
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
jlgrosvenor
post 25th March 2017 23:11
Post #20 | Print

1.6 8v

QUOTE(Macca @ 29th January 2017 12:25) *
Really good to see another one saved! Is it still for sale as I know someone who is looking

I'm still slowly working on this. The new house is a wrecked money pit, and I'm working on the interior in my spare spare time. I'm I've bought all the Dodomat etc to resound proof. Hopefully all back by the end of the summer but still being driven on the odd dry day we get. It's booked in for a trip to the south of France in July!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21 Nov 2017 17:24