Group: New Member
Local Time: 21st September 2021 01:32
Member No.: 14,154
Driving: Alfa romeo 145 1.7 boxer

Hi all
Here is my 1995 Alfa Romeo 145 1.7 16v boxer that i bought back in may 2020
[attachment=20082:20200524_135227.jpg]
Attached Image

It had been sat off the road for 15 years. I bought it as a project for me and my dad to bring back to life for this summer. we were told if was only a small project.
First thing to do was to give it a clean and a polish.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Next on the list was to get it running. the fuel pump was completely knackered and was half dissolved at the bottom of the tank, so we dropped the tank to get the old fuel out and give it a clean.
Attached Image

After putting everything back together it started up however it wouldn't idle and sounded like it had a bad misfire. Next thing on the list was to change the cambelts, and when we pulled off the cambelt covers there was a bit of a surprise.
Attached Image
One of the cambelts had snapped which would explain the bad misfire. So it was time to get the engine out and investigate the damage, which I was going to do anyway as the clutch wasn't depressing which ended up being the master and slave cylinder.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Every valve was bent thankfully none of them had snapped off, so the top of the pistons and cylinder walls were still in great condition.
Attached Image
I decided instead of trying to rebuild the head id try and find a second hand head or engine which would be cheaper and easier, however because the boxer engines are so rare it took me over 4 months to find one.
Attached Image
while the engine was out i wanted to replace every gasket and clean up the block.
Attached Image
engine all complete time to put it back in the car and see if it'll run.
Attached Image
First time getting it to start didn't go well, plugged the HT leads into the coil pack in the wrong order as it was marked incorrectly, we tried spraying some easy start into it as it wasn't starting and it backfired and set the air filter and MAF on fire.
Attached Image
luckily the car came with loads of spares including a new MAF. After sorting that out, and correcting the HT leads, its fired up straight up and idled perfectly with no misfires.
now it was time to sort everything else around the engine, first was the brake lines as every line was corroded or perished. also a few suspension parts needed replacing like drop links, i also have some new shocks I'm going to fit as the old ones look like they are knackered.
Attached Image
new and old drop links.
I also changed the clutch master cylinder as it wouldn't bleed correctly, after sorting that the car moved for the fist time with no problems, apart from the handbrake being stuck on.
I also replaced the interior with 145 phase 2 interior from a car with 40,000 miles on it so it was like new, still even has a bit of that new car smell.
Attached Image

We took the car for its first test drive last week just down to the end of the road to test the gearbox and other things, which it did with no problems apart from we didn't bleed the brakes very well mixed with very rusty brakes meant it didn't stop very well.
Attached Image
The car is extremely solid underneath and has never had any welding which I was very surprised about since its done 86,000 miles.
It is very close to being road worthy all it needs doing now is brake disks and pads which I have and am going to fit this weekend, tyres and handbrake cable then MOT time.
I will keep you updated on how it goes.
Attached Image
Attached Image
This is what it looks like now.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 19th June 2021 10:35
Post #2 | Print

1.6 16v

Group: Veteran
Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

Good heaven's, Carlo!

If there was ever a prize for the most incredible first-post; you've won!

This reads like a complete ownership-journey all inside one single post; have you been typing it for months?!

I LOVE A boxer, and your photography doesn't dissapoint!

Welcome aboard!!

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
carlo swain 145
post 19th June 2021 19:01
Post #3 | Print

1.3 8v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 19th June 2021 11:35) *
Good heaven's, Carlo!

If there was ever a prize for the most incredible first-post; you've won!

This reads like a complete ownership-journey all inside one single post; have you been typing it for months?!

I LOVE A boxer, and your photography doesn't dissapoint!

Welcome aboard!!

haha cheers dante. it certainly took me a while to type, but not quite a few months lol, glad you enjoyed reading it.
yeah I love the boxers I really wanted one when I was looking to buy a 145 but didn't think I would very find one, but I got very lucky.
cheers.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 20th June 2021 21:02
Post #4 | Print

1.6 16v

what a peach it is-

I can't believe the nick of it- 86k on an M-plate! What a find.

Is this your 1st Alfa, Carlo- or is that a Mito I see in the images also..? How do think it compares; steering-wise..?

This post has been edited by dante giacosa: 20th June 2021 21:03
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
carlo swain 145
post 21st June 2021 18:45
Post #5 | Print

1.3 8v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 20th June 2021 22:02) *
what a peach it is-

I can't believe the nick of it- 86k on an M-plate! What a find.

Is this your 1st Alfa, Carlo- or is that a Mito I see in the images also..? How do think it compares; steering-wise..?

Yeah its in good condition apart from its got loads of dents and scratches on the body work, I would guess the previous owner use to put stuff against it because there all quite small dents. If I keep it for a few years I might give it a full respray.

It is my first alfa, its also my first car. The mito is my mums car. The steering is very vague compared to the 145, it's alright when it's in dynamic mode.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
VROOM
post 23rd June 2021 19:41
Post #6 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Member No.: 13,153
Driving: BRERA, GIULIETTA, 145QV, GIULIA

A brilliant read! Looks incredible underneath and even the front bumper supports having dissolved away. That must be a very rare car and I love the symmetry of that boxer engine and the central battery. Wasn't the 1.7 the top of the range at the time (I need to dig out my old car magazines as I remember when they first tested these)? Interesting to see the early steering wheel and pale dash. Keep the posts coming! thumbup.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
carlo swain 145
post 25th June 2021 07:15
Post #7 | Print

1.3 8v

QUOTE(VROOM @ 23rd June 2021 20:41) *
A brilliant read! Looks incredible underneath and even the front bumper supports having dissolved away. That must be a very rare car and I love the symmetry of that boxer engine and the central battery. Wasn't the 1.7 the top of the range at the time (I need to dig out my old car magazines as I remember when they first tested these)? Interesting to see the early steering wheel and pale dash. Keep the posts coming! thumbup.gif

Cheers. Yes the 1.7 was the top of the range before the twinspark. Not the biggest fan of the early steering wheel it feels a lot cheaper compared to the leather twinspark wheels.

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
sanitary
post 25th June 2021 15:58
Post #8 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Member No.: 662
Driving: in front of you

always wondered how easy it would be to shoehorn a scoob 2.0 turbo motor into one of these....

san
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 3rd July 2021 22:37
Post #9 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

QUOTE(carlo swain 145 @ 18th June 2021 13:48) *
Hi all
Here is my 1995 Alfa Romeo 145 1.7 16v boxer that i bought back in may 2020
[attachment=20082:20200524_135227.jpg]
Attached Image

It had been sat off the road for 15 years. I bought it as a project for me and my dad to bring back to life for this summer. we were told if was only a small project.
First thing to do was to give it a clean and a polish.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Next on the list was to get it running. the fuel pump was completely knackered and was half dissolved at the bottom of the tank, so we dropped the tank to get the old fuel out and give it a clean.
Attached Image

After putting everything back together it started up however it wouldn't idle and sounded like it had a bad misfire. Next thing on the list was to change the cambelts, and when we pulled off the cambelt covers there was a bit of a surprise.
Attached Image
One of the cambelts had snapped which would explain the bad misfire. So it was time to get the engine out and investigate the damage, which I was going to do anyway as the clutch wasn't depressing which ended up being the master and slave cylinder.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Every valve was bent thankfully none of them had snapped off, so the top of the pistons and cylinder walls were still in great condition.
Attached Image
I decided instead of trying to rebuild the head id try and find a second hand head or engine which would be cheaper and easier, however because the boxer engines are so rare it took me over 4 months to find one.
Attached Image
while the engine was out i wanted to replace every gasket and clean up the block.
Attached Image
engine all complete time to put it back in the car and see if it'll run.
Attached Image
First time getting it to start didn't go well, plugged the HT leads into the coil pack in the wrong order as it was marked incorrectly, we tried spraying some easy start into it as it wasn't starting and it backfired and set the air filter and MAF on fire.
Attached Image
luckily the car came with loads of spares including a new MAF. After sorting that out, and correcting the HT leads, its fired up straight up and idled perfectly with no misfires.
now it was time to sort everything else around the engine, first was the brake lines as every line was corroded or perished. also a few suspension parts needed replacing like drop links, i also have some new shocks I'm going to fit as the old ones look like they are knackered.
Attached Image
new and ol Alfa Rod drop links.
I also changed the clutch master cylinder as it wouldn't bleed correctly, after sorting that the car moved for the fist time with no problems, apart from the handbrake being stuck on.
I also replaced the interior with 145 phase 2 interior from a car with 40,000 miles on it so it was like new, still even has a bit of that new car smell.
Attached Image

We took the car for its first test drive last week just down to the end of the road to test the gearbox and other things, which it did with no problems apart from we didn't bleed the brakes very well mixed with very rusty brakes meant it didn't stop very well.
Attached Image
The car is extremely solid underneath and has never had any welding which I was very surprised about since its done 86,000 miles.
It is very close to being road worthy all it needs doing now is brake disks and pads which I have and am going to fit this weekend, tyres and handbrake cable then MOT time.
I will keep you updated on how it goes.
Attached Image
Attached Image
This is what it looks like now.

Carlo, this looks fantastic thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
carlo swain 145
post 21st August 2021 15:22
Post #10 | Print

1.3 8v

Hi all bit of a update on my boxer. After taking it for a couple test drives I noticed it was very underpowered, struggling to get up hills in first gear, after taking out the spark plugs I noticed its been running very lean, turned out to be the injectors were clogged, I decided to take the easiest route and get some fully refurbished second hand injectors, which seems to have sorted the power issue, but now runs a little rich on cold start.
Replaced the radiator because the plastic cracked, aux belts, new tyres, screen wash jets, and other little things.
Then it was MOT time. It drove to the mot station flawlessly, and sat in there idling for 25 minutes and didn't miss a beat.
Attached Image
Attached Image
And by some miracle its passed without any advisories worshippy.gif
To celebrate we took it on its first little trip to a small Italian car meet. where it met some friends.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

I've now driven it 100 miles and have noticed some problems the thermostat is stuck open, the engine mount is very worn, the engine sump gasket is leaking oil slightly, apart from that it drives perfectly, and is so engaging to drive.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 21st August 2021 23:55
Post #11 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

Looks well smart. Where was the Italian car meet??

Love the red cam pulleys coolio.gif

This post has been edited by Ganz: 21st August 2021 23:58

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 22nd August 2021 07:48
Post #12 | Print

1.6 16v

Thatís so ace-

I think youíve fought through all the 1st wave niggles; and now face the open road!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Big Chris
post 22nd August 2021 16:41
Post #13 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 14,206
Driving: Alfa Romeo 145 1.7 16v

Thatís 3 now on the road, great to see. I bought my 145 1.7 from another member of this forum in June. rough bodywork but sound mechanicals.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
carlo swain 145
post 23rd August 2021 19:51
Post #14 | Print

1.3 8v

QUOTE(Ganz @ 22nd August 2021 00:55) *
Looks well smart. Where was the Italian car meet??

Love the red cam pulleys coolio.gif

Thank you, the meet was at the departure lounge cafť in Alton, they do it once every 2 months. Definitely worth going if your close.
Unfortunately I've covered the cam pulleys now, I didn't trust it without the covers.

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 22nd August 2021 08:48) *
Thatís so ace-

I think youíve fought through all the 1st wave niggles; and now face the open road!

Thank you! I'm sure ill have more problems, cant wait to give it a proper blast.

QUOTE(Big Chris @ 22nd August 2021 17:41) *
Thatís 3 now on the road, great to see. I bought my 145 1.7 from another member of this forum in June. rough bodywork but sound mechanicals.

ahh yes the red one, I wondered who bought that, you got a bit of a bargain.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 25th August 2021 12:13
Post #15 | Print

1.6 16v

hello Big Chris!

welcome on board- Cardiff, eh?

I'm sure we've got someone else down there...
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Big Chris
post 25th August 2021 20:47
Post #16 | Print

1.3 8v

Member No.: 14,206
Driving: Alfa Romeo 145 1.7 16v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 25th August 2021 13:13) *
hello Big Chris!

welcome on board- Cardiff, eh?
I'm sure we've got someone else down there...

Hi Dante, thank you. Yes you may recognise the car. Ironic Lancer and I both live in Cardiff.

I had a 1.7 146 20 years ago and it was the only car Iíve ever regretted selling. Taken many years to find another 1.7, albeit a 145 this time. So when this came up, it was a no brainer.

It will be returned to original spec and full bodywork and respray by next spring. Iíve sourced many of the parts and will document the transformation on a separate thread.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 27th August 2021 05:08
Post #17 | Print

1.6 16v

Ah!

do you know Lancer- have you guys met?

This sounds like the start of a great story! If you are starting next year; do you have somewhere to store the car over the winter?

What work do you have to do, to return the car to original spec..?

View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21 Sep 2021 00:32