STEVIE BOY
post 28th September 2018 08:44
Post #1 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 20th September 2021 22:21
Member No.: 13,493
Driving: Alfa 146 ti

I've got historical milky oil sprayed up against the water tube running along front of engine, when I get under the car, I wonder if it came originally from the oil cooler, as one of the pipes is covered in grime and looks a bit bulgy. Are the pipes/tiny hoses carrying coolant or oil?

Anyone any experience with issues here?

This post has been edited by STEVIE BOY: 28th September 2018 08:45
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
145man
post 28th September 2018 09:33
Post #2 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Local Time: 20th September 2021 23:21
Member No.: 7,459
Driving: 145QV & Alfasud TiQV

QUOTE(STEVIE BOY @ 28th September 2018 09:44) *
I've got historical milky oil sprayed up against the water tube running along front of engine, when I get under the car, I wonder if it came originally from the oil cooler, as one of the pipes is covered in grime and looks a bit bulgy. Are the pipes/tiny hoses carrying coolant or oil?

Anyone any experience with issues here?

Those pipes carry coolant to cool the oil, mine leaked due to a split pipe where the rubber hose clamps on. Had to buy a new oil cooler to solve the issue.
Yours looks like oil that could have weeped from the oil filter

QUOTE(145man @ 28th September 2018 10:29) *
Those pipes carry coolant to cool the oil, mine leaked due to a split pipe where the rubber hose clamps on. Had to buy a new oil cooler to solve the issue.

Sorry meant to say cam cover gasket, they tend to leak on the left hand side where the gasket goes over the two cam shafts.
The oil finds its way down from there, may be worth checking that corner of the cam cover for oil.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
STEVIE BOY
post 29th September 2018 09:31
Post #3 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Member No.: 13,493
Driving: Alfa 146 ti

QUOTE(145man @ 28th September 2018 10:33) *
Sorry meant to say cam cover gasket, they tend to leak on the left hand side where the gasket goes over the two cam shafts.
The oil finds its way down from there, may be worth checking that corner of the cam cover for oil.

Cheers, I will have a closer look for any gasket leak, there was nothing obvious, it looked to me that the oil was spraying upwards, but strange things happen. Ill give it all a clean , change hoses on the cooler, and see if it remains clean.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
thanos_kals
post 31st July 2021 07:19
Post #4 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: New Member
Member No.: 14,172
Driving: Alfa 145 2.0 TS

Mine exchanger failed and mixed coolant with oil. At first glance i thought it was head gasket failure because of the milky residues on the oil cap and in the water expansion tank. Are these exchangers trustworthy or is it better not to have one on the engine?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 7th August 2021 22:59
Post #5 | Print

1.6 16v

Group: Veteran
Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

QUOTE(thanos_kals @ 31st July 2021 08:19) *
Mine exchanger failed and mixed coolant with oil. At first glance i thought it was head gasket failure because of the milky residues on the oil cap and in the water expansion tank. Are these exchangers trustworthy or is it better not to have one on the engine?

Hi Thanos. These oil cooler should be ok - however, if they are very old like 25 years.. - my original 145 one had rusted on the cooler pipes which eventually burst. The thing is, brand new these items are stupidly expensive. I managed to find a slightly smaller replacement, same brand, but for a Peugeot. It cost £34 as oppose to £300. I had to modify the center nut by shortening it. Been on the road for three years with no issues or overheating.

I wondered if you have cam cover oil leak - which is standard on the 145 lol. Maybe oil can drip into the heat exchanger chamber. Might be worth looking at the gasket on this. This always seem to have a leak around the area.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Mine was always very oily around this area (circled in red)

Attached Image
Refurbished

The other thing is the milky residue on the inside of the filler cap can be due to lots if start stop short runs where the engine never gets hot enough to burn condensation. Or if you leave the car standing in the winter on condensation.

Attached Image

My old one

Attached Image

Old and new replacement for £34

Attached Image

Same OEM brand: Modine smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ganz: 7th August 2021 23:20

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
thanos_kals
post 15th August 2021 12:05
Post #6 | Print

1.3 8v

Hey Ganz. Many thanks for your reply. I'm aware of the milky residues on the filler cap during winter time due to high humidity, thanks for stating that. Other than this time, i haven't observed any residues thankully. My twin spark is also oily in the same area as yours but it haven't raised any concerns so far. I'm just worried if these exchangers are ok but on the other hand, boiling the oil is not good for the protection of the engine. I would be happy to send me a link from where you purchased the exchanger. Since it is the same supplier i will be good to go. Also i saw you have installed silicone rubbers there?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 21st August 2021 23:27
Post #7 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

QUOTE(thanos_kals @ 15th August 2021 13:05) *
Hey Ganz. Many thanks for your reply. I'm aware of the milky residues on the filler cap during winter time due to high humidity, thanks for stating that. Other than this time, i haven't observed any residues thankully. My twin spark is also oily in the same area as yours but it haven't raised any concerns so far. I'm just worried if these exchangers are ok but on the other hand, boiling the oil is not good for the protection of the engine. I would be happy to send me a link from where you purchased the exchanger. Since it is the same supplier i will be good to go. Also i saw you have installed silicone rubbers there?

Hey Thanos, yes, I replaced my hoses on the heat exchanger with blue silicon ones from Ash silicon. I measured them up and cut them to size. Easy job.

Pretty sure that these oil exchangers are fine but I know what you mean as in the summer in the UK, when it occasionally gets warm the oil temp does go up. Also the twin sparks do seem to get a bit hot. Keeping the coolant topped up and making sure you bleed the coolant of any trapped air makes a difference. I have a 10 row oil cooler I will be fitting next year for the 145.

Some of the oil crud on my 145 came from the camshaft cover. Its amazing how oil will drip down with gravity. At the moment I seem to have an oil leak over the cambelt covers. Not sure where this is coming from as I replaced both camshaft and variator oil seals. I can only presume its coming from the cam cover - that gasket is now three years old.
The oil heat exchanger I brought was a Citeron Berlingo one. I have put a few links below. Bear in mind that it was slightly thinner than the standard 145 one and therefore I had to shorten the nut that holds it in place. Probably in a hot country like Greece - was in Ioannina years ago, it might not do the job. But mine has ran for three years with no problem at all.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283754065314

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Cooler-engin...D-/174359969873
https://eurofrance24.com/catalog/product/vi...iBoC3OEQAvD_BwE
Try to buy a Modine one (the American one - as these were the same manufacturer for the Alfas).
Here is what I will be fitting for next summer

Attached Image

Well, Thanos I hope this helps.

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 5th September 2021 20:26
Post #8 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

Well-

I canít wait to read the write-up on how to fir that!

As itís a mod Iíve considered for a while also.

To bring a bit of Ďscienceí to the discussion; I can tell you that my CF2 will achieve 110 degrees on the oil gauge, at motorway speeds in high summer...
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
thanos_kals
post 6th September 2021 20:42
Post #9 | Print

1.3 8v

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 5th September 2021 20:26) *
Well-

I canít wait to read the write-up on how to fir that!

As itís a mod Iíve considered for a while also.

To bring a bit of Ďscienceí to the discussion; I can tell you that my CF2 will achieve 110 degrees on the oil gauge, at motorway speeds in high summer...

Pretty much the same story from my 145 1.8 CF2. Considering i live in Greece with those glorious African-like temperatures, and also i don't currently have an oil cooler installed, i would say it achieves a bit higher oil temperatures whistle.gif

This post has been edited by thanos_kals: 6th September 2021 20:43
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20 Sep 2021 22:21