post 15th July 2020 21:37
Post #1 | Print

1.6 16v

Group: Veteran
Local Time: 4th August 2020 03:12
Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

Two things really.

I don't now if anyone has had this issue with their 145/6s. My car has slowly developed this oil leak that looks like its coming from the gearbox side. When I rebuilt the 145 the oil seal on the pulley side of the crank was dry. I also replaced both camshaft oil seals. The side of the gearbox and the sump is covered in oil. It's not a massive leak but usually worse after a a bit of a blast. It's got to the stage where it leaks on to the exhaust which creates fumes that give me a headache when I drive. When it was MOTd the center noticed it and it was a borderline advisory. I suspect its a gearbox side crank oil seal. Has anyone replaced theirs here on the forum? Looks like a pain of a job.

Also I recently replaced the two rear silencers with an OEM one I brought a few years ago. Thought I'd take the opportunity to get some use out of it as had been sitting in a box for the last couple of years. When I drove the car in the evening after the fitment there was a burning smell that I had not detected before. It was like burning plastic or rubber. I stopped to check the car and could not see anything wrong apart from a rubber exhaust hanger that was just touching the edge of the exhaust but that was not melting or hot at all just warm. I thought it might have been the new exhausts venting some fumes or exhaust paste. Although the fumes come and go when its bad its really bad that I have to stop the car. Checked the engine bay and cannot smell anything coming from the engine bay. I've ordered an oem flexi pipe section as mine is shot to bits. I don;t want to put on my Supersprint exhaust manifold as the oil leak is gradually making a bit of a mess of the underside of the car.

Wondered if anyone had anything similar. Maybe its the Alfa gremlins that have finally decided to pay me a visit.
Any help appreciated

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 16th July 2020 22:16
Post #2 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

gosh, that's bad luck matey

I can't bring much to the gearbox oil-seal party; but I suspect you are uniquely placed to diagnose it.

Exhaust wise, I would have suspected a burn-in smell with the new-old-OEM stuff; but it's hard to gauge how long it would go on for; Do you think the oil-burning smell is getting mixed with the exhaust burn-in smell?

I think it's two different issues where the oil-seal thing is clouding the exhaust issue, so to speak..

How long has the new exhaust been on for now, and what kind of mileages are you doing..?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 20th July 2020 22:52
Post #3 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

QUOTE(dante giacosa @ 16th July 2020 23:16) *
gosh, that's bad luck matey

I can't bring much to the gearbox oil-seal party; but I suspect you are uniquely placed to diagnose it.

Exhaust wise, I would have suspected a burn-in smell with the new-old-OEM stuff; but it's hard to gauge how long it would go on for; Do you think the oil-burning smell is getting mixed with the exhaust burn-in smell?

I think it's two different issues where the oil-seal thing is clouding the exhaust issue, so to speak..

How long has the new exhaust been on for now, and what kind of mileages are you doing..?

Thanks Dante
I suspect you are right about the mix of the two as I never had the issue before. I recognise the oil leak smell but the plastic burn is new - smells like an electrical burn. Weird thing is I recently traveled around 50 miles (pre lockdown lockdown..) and it was fine. I think I need to get the lowered jack and get under to investigate.

I've ordered a new downpipe section as the braided part is completely shot.

At the moment I am hardly doing any mileage at all so I guess I haven't really given the new exhaust an opportunity to bed in so to speak.

Crankseal needs doing for sure - going to put in one of those seal additives to see if it temporarily works.

The Bella has cover 162k miles now and I suppose its time for a full bottom end rebuild - I've noticed that the catch catches oil more frequently - probably due to worn piston rings and bores resulting in blow by.
I don't have a decent garage anymore to take her off the road otherwise I'd be stripping the engine.

Attached Image

OEM rear box - bit boring but with winter coming up and no car shows this year..

This post has been edited by Ganz: 20th July 2020 23:03

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 27th July 2020 08:58
Post #4 | Print

1.6 16v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

The plastic smell is a strange one- I hope you haven't caught the lambda probe wiring sleeve

Can you get gearbox oil-seal additives ??

Don't knock the OEM backboxes! That's how the car was meant to run- you'll have perfect back pressure...
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
VROOM
post 28th July 2020 17:28
Post #5 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Member No.: 13,153
Driving: BRERA, GIULIETTA, 145QV

I've got a slight oil weep from the gearbox/engine joint (has been like that since I bought it), but not enough to drip anywhere. As I'm having the clutch replaced this week I've asked them to check the crankshaft oil seal in case it's coming from there. Will be interesting to see what they find.
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4 Aug 2020 02:12