GTV sean
post 7th July 2014 15:54
Post #1 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 22nd September 2019 20:59
Member No.: 8,240
Driving: 3.0 24V GTV + 3.0 24V GTV and 145 QV phase 2

I recently bought another 3.0 GTV 24v and the day i got it, the car seemed to be missing when running at a constant speed and the engine was at around 3000rpm. I decided to change plugs as I thought it was down to old plugs but still no improvement. I changed the MAF and did a full ECU reset this morning and thought it would reset a few of the parameters but sadly didn't produce any results.

I opened the bonnet the other day and unplugged every little plug i could find and made sure there was no water causing any trouble in the connections and gave them a quick spray with switch gear cleaner just to make sure the contact was good. I bought some injector cleaner and put it in with some fuel and thought it would maybe clean out the injectors.

If I can describe the problem i would say that when I accelerate up through the gears getting up to highway speed, she will rev fine through 1st, 2nd and 3rd but when the engine revs up to about 3000rpm, she seems to have a little surge and then she feels to jump from 6 cylinders to 5 or possibly 4 cylinders and then a few seconds later it will kick up back to 6 and pull again and so the missing process starts again. Its like the engine stops getting fuel and then gets it again, if I can say that ? Being a phase 2 GTV, I believe that it doesnt have a stand alone fuel filter that can be changed.

I found that yesterday morning and this morning when I started her, she seemed to run with such a miss for about 2 or 3 minutes kicking onto all cylinders and then down to 5 or 4.. I;ve never heard of anyone having this problem before

does anyone know what this could be? Can my fuel pump filter be blocked ? Could my injectors be dirty?

--------------------

Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
black 146
post 7th July 2014 17:12
Post #2 | Print

1.7 16v

Group: Veteran
Local Time: 22nd September 2019 19:59
Member No.: 3,861
Driving: alfa 145 1.6ish

have you tried a look at the coil packs unplug one to see any difference

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Alfa SA
post 7th July 2014 19:29
Post #3 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 4,786
Driving: Alfa 145 2l T-Spark Cloverleaf

Hey boytjie

as lee said while the car is running unplug each coilpack plug and see if the note of the engine changes if it doesnt change then would try swopping out with a good coilpack.
Another thing is try unplugging each injector while engine running and listen for engine note change again if you have an injector that is dribbling would cause the problems you describe. Might be worth while to have the injectors ultrasonic cleaned, serviced and flow tested will make such a difference with performance and idling and flat spots and a hell of alot cheaper than new injectors. Also inspect the wiring to the coilpacks that its not gone brittle and broken causing a short.

If you still stuck then give me a shout and will try see what I can do or post on here and the boys will help out

cheers for now

Gary

another thing to check is take a sample of fuel in to a clear container and let it stand awhile and see if it seperates giving signs of water in fuel or poor quality fuel
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GTV sean
post 8th July 2014 05:48
Post #4 | Print

1.4 16v

QUOTE(black 146 @ 7th July 2014 19:12) *
have you tried a look at the coil packs unplug one to see any difference

Hi bud,

I haven't tried that because it's quite difficult to unplug these coils as the front 3 spark plugs are really easy to get to but the rear 3 are under the intake plenum blink.gif I read that unplugging the injectors one at a time, listening for changes in engine noise helps find either a problematic injector or coil pack..
QUOTE(Alfa SA @ 7th July 2014 21:29) *
Hey boytjie

as lee said while the car is running unplug each coilpack plug and see if the note of the engine changes if it doesnt change then would try swopping out with a good coilpack.
Another thing is try unplugging each injector while engine running and listen for engine note change again if you have an injector that is dribbling would cause the problems you describe. Might be worth while to have the injectors ultrasonic cleaned, serviced and flow tested will make such a difference with performance and idling and flat spots and a hell of alot cheaper than new injectors. Also inspect the wiring to the coilpacks that its not gone brittle and broken causing a short.

If you still stuck then give me a shout and will try see what I can do or post on here and the boys will help out

cheers for now

Gary

another thing to check is take a sample of fuel in to a clear container and let it stand awhile and see if it seperates giving signs of water in fuel or poor quality fuel

Hey bud, nice to see an SA greeting for once coolio.gif

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever heard of a coil pack giving trouble ? I always thought that injectors were more likely to give in than coil packs but I suppose anything can happen on these Alfa's right blush.gif

Where would I take the injectors to tho bud? I don't really know if there is a place in PE that does injector cleaning? Pretty sure there is but I just don't know about it lol.

Gary even worse is that my 145 is down for a while, while I have the head rebuilt after the cambelt stripped on the crank pulley and bent all 16 valves whistle.gif

At least I'm hoping to arrange that the GTV be put on the Diag tonight to see what faults come up

Thanks for the replies guys !
Sean

--------------------

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GTV sean
post 11th August 2014 07:37
Post #5 | Print

1.4 16v

After months of trying to find the problem with my GTV its finally sorted. I've replaced the Laser Platinum spark plugs run injector cleaner through the fuel system and had no improvement, until I started going through the different threads on AO but nobody had a problem similar to mine but then I thought - there's an after market pipe on here and there's 2 lambda's which clearly aren't marked which is which and I thought for the sake of trying I'd swop the lambda plugs around and much to my surprise - the GTV is a new beast again !!! blush.gif

This is possibly why the previous owner sold the car as he said it had a stuttering problem that he couldnt solve and didn't have the time to sort it unsure.gif

--------------------

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
black 146
post 11th August 2014 10:12
Post #6 | Print

1.7 16v

Member No.: 3,861
Driving: alfa 145 1.6ish

clapping.gif thumbup.gif

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
bl4desman
post 11th August 2014 15:53
Post #7 | Print

1.6 8v

Local Time: 22nd September 2019 18:59
Member No.: 7,218
Driving: 1991 Supercharged MX-5, 2009 Abarth 500 Esseesse, 1995 Yamaha CW50

QUOTE(GTV sean @ 11th August 2014 08:37) *
After months of trying to find the problem with my GTV its finally sorted. I've replaced the Laser Platinum spark plugs run injector cleaner through the fuel system and had no improvement, until I started going through the different threads on AO but nobody had a problem similar to mine but then I thought - there's an after market pipe on here and there's 2 lambda's which clearly aren't marked which is which and I thought for the sake of trying I'd swop the lambda plugs around and much to my surprise - the GTV is a new beast again !!! blush.gif

This is possibly why the previous owner sold the car as he said it had a stuttering problem that he couldnt solve and didn't have the time to sort it unsure.gif

Nice biggrin.gif I bet you are well pleased

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GTV sean
post 20th August 2014 08:25
Post #8 | Print

1.4 16v

QUOTE(black 146 @ 11th August 2014 12:12) *
clapping.gif thumbup.gif

Very happy with that outcome coolio.gif

QUOTE(bl4desman @ 11th August 2014 17:53) *
Nice biggrin.gif I bet you are well pleased

I am bud.. Just struggling with a fan not coming on issue but it seems like it's the radiator fan switch that's packed up! Solving the lil probs one step at a time

--------------------

View Vehicles
+Quote Post
NaanBread
post 20th August 2014 09:13
Post #9 | Print

1.8 16v

Member No.: 4,404
Driving: So many Alfa's