mrmarkyt
post 3rd November 2018 18:57
Post #1 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 19th November 2018 17:26
Member No.: 4,128
Driving: alfa 146

Over 9 years ago I was literally watching my Lancia Delta HF Turbo disintegrate before my eyes. It was time for a change. Something a little more modern but with a classic feel. A friend at work and a fellow Italian car nut had owned a 146 from new in 1999. He was in the market for an Alfa GT and he said that he’d let me have the car for a weekend to see if I liked it. It had certainly been well looked after and although I didn’t know that much about the 146, my Dad told me that it was a ti and ‘the one to have son!’

After a weekend in the car I was pretty much hooked. My Dad drove it too, smiled a lot and said it was like his old 33 in some ways. He said to buy it. In the end he bought it for me. Thanks Dad.

Fast forward to 2018, and it’s still in my garage. It’s always been great to drive. It likes to rev, makes a nice raspy noise and is surprisingly roomy. It’s moved two of my sons to Uni and back many times with no complaints from them or the car. The exhaust has been replaced with a nice Italian system, not noisy and much better than the standard pee shooter. It’s also got a lovely leather gear knob, original 33 equipment, that feels nice in your hand (sir).

It’s done 123k miles now but these cars liked to be used as long as they are properly maintained. Mark at Alfa Lusso in Cowfold has looked after it for many years and kept it in top condition mechanically. I had to take it off the road recently due to illness and it’s just had a bit of a recommission. There’s a short write up here: http://forum.alfa145.com/index.php?showtopic=25011 but to summarise it’s had a full service, belts, wheels, tyres, battery, wipers, drive shaft boots, brake pipes, bulbs, air bag ECU fixed and various other bits and is MOT’d to September 2019. Rarely for these it’s never been welded and each year Mark checks and reapplies under body sealant to keep it that way.

Body wise it’s in great condition and it gets lot of nice attention. It’s still bright red all over, not orange or with any peeling lacquer. It’s washed, polished and waxed regularly and this helps keep it that way. Garaging helps too though the carpeting it sits on is debatable! It’s been included in the Alfa Centenary Mosaic and pictured on the AROC calendar. Both come with the car. The interior is also excellent. There are newish Alfa logo mats which match the ti style seats and the red piping. The car comes with a spare as new front seat cushion as the foam does begin to break up over time. The glove box is now too small for all the history. Along with the original Alfa Wallet and Book Pack, there’s a stamped up service book, old MOT’s, invoices, original bill of sale, spare and master keys etc.

It’s now nearly 20 years old. It does not look it, but there’s a few things I need to point out. There’s the inevitable interior squeaks which are part of the Alfa ‘experience’. I can’t get the air con to work at the moment. It may be the compressor. It had been working before my illness and had been re-gassed previously. Not something to sort immediately though. The rear brake discs and pads will need doing at some point as it was an advisory at the last MOT, and there’s a small oil leak. It uses very little oil though.

My reason for selling is that a couple of years ago I was able to buy what was like a new out of the box 146. It had come from an Alfa collector and was in Auto Italia and more recently Classic Car Weekly. My eldest boy also drives now, so there’s too many cars. One of the Alfas has to go. I’ve chosen my first 146, but may sell the newer one instead if someone is interested in a low mileage 2001 model that’s pretty much unique and like new. Dearer though smile.gif

If you have got this far well done and thank you for reading. This is not your average 146 as you can probably tell and there aren’t many left now. I'm asking 2495. You are more than welcome to come and have a look. I am based near Brighton in East Sussex.

This post has been edited by mrmarkyt: 4th November 2018 15:09
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
STEVIE BOY
post 3rd November 2018 20:11
Post #2 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: Member
Member No.: 13,493
Driving: Alfa 146 ti

Is the picnic blanket included?
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 3rd November 2018 20:36
Post #3 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts

QUOTE(STEVIE BOY @ 3rd November 2018 20:11) *
Is the picnic blanket included?

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Looks a lovely example worshippy.gif thumbup.gif

--------------------
G A N Z 145

Instagram
ganz145_alfa
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
mrmarkyt
post 3rd November 2018 20:49
Post #4 | Print

1.4 16v

QUOTE(Ganz @ 3rd November 2018 20:36) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Looks a lovely example worshippy.gif thumbup.gif

Halfords 1985 finest that, graced all my cars from day one!!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JeremyG
post 4th November 2018 12:55
Post #5 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 12,797
Driving: 166 3.0 Sportronic, 145 QV

That's a lovely looking car - very nice!

BTW, if you want a black Sony CD changer to replace your white one then I have one...
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
dante giacosa
post 4th November 2018 22:16
Post #6 | Print

1.6 8v

Member No.: 13,068
Driving: 146 CF2 1.8 T-spark

ooh! cool.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
mrmarkyt
post 5th November 2018 19:51
Post #7 | Print

1.4 16v

QUOTE(JeremyG @ 4th November 2018 12:55) *
That's a lovely looking car - very nice!

BTW, if you want a black Sony CD changer to replace your white one then I have one...

Thanks this ones OK though, although it does look a little dated now!!
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19 Nov 2018 17:26