Corzone
post 14th June 2019 23:26
Post #1 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: New Member
Local Time: 19th October 2019 19:07
Member No.: 13,694
Driving: Repairing a Alfa Romeo 145 1.4 Boxer

Well, on the quest for looking for my first car and after a lot of old ford fiestas wink.gif, I found what i think is the one.Alfa Romeo 145 1.4 Boxer.And it was a catch(a big one), it doesn't drive for about 12 years.At this point i should ask you guys if i should buy it but nah i already made my mind wink.gif.
And for extras i will put some badly taken photos of the car by me and leave a list of know problems:
-No ecu--fixed bought one for 40
-no front speakers
-no driver door key lock
-Driver's door interior panel needs repair
-Immobilizer is a pain to work and i 'm on the run to turn off the immo off the new ecu
-Also as the man don't know the keys of the car and had a replacement ignition with a key laying on the passenger seat, i tried my luck to see if it could work but nah the lady is in a bad day but, hey the eletrical system still works
-All the sunroof as rusted blink.gif So not good at all so it is time to drop the coca cola on that XD
-The engine in the car is not the original it is a replacement.PS:The man gave me the old one XD

And as Extras of the extras i leave recent photos of a raining day in Portugal where i, under heavy "fire" and using only a umbrella, clean the car with a old toothbrush blush.gif
So tell me what you think?
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
donutty
post 15th June 2019 07:48
Post #2 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Member No.: 13,545
Driving: 145 2.0 '96 Cloverleaf

Bom dia!

You have a lot of work ahead of you.. but it will be worth it.

Did you check for rust under the wheel arches, on the body sills etc ?? I don't know what the Portugal equivalent of UK MOT (vehicle roadworthiness test) says about how rusty some critical structural parts can be, but be assured there will be some rust even in a Mediterranean climate!

If the body structure is salvageable, next you need to get the engine working and the cosmetics are last on the list. Even with my restoration (145 QV) I drive with sagging cloth headliner and missing fabric from the door cards until I have the time and facilities to fix them.

As for electrics, you can get people to remove immobiliser check from the ECU. Otherwise you need a (set of) key that physically match the door locks and ignition switch and also the code transponder chip in the key needs to be learned into the immo unit, but this will not work with a second-hand immo unit on its own (i.e. without key set) so either you:

a) get ECU turned immo off and just get a new set of keys and barrels for doors and ignition [your current approach]
b) if you have key set, buy immo box with matching transponder chip (you can insert chip into your key)
c) buy full pack of immo box, keys, barrels which are all matched

What parts of the electrical system did you prove working? Does the starter motor crank the engine? Without proper immobiliser function it will not start (plugs will not fire) but it should still crank.

Good luck!!

P.S - It looks like you have the same weather had in the UK the whole week. Not nice for fixing cars outdoors!!

This post has been edited by donutty: 15th June 2019 07:49
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Corzone
post 15th June 2019 21:43
Post #3 | Print

1.3 8v

Group: New Member
Member No.: 13,694
Driving: Repairing a Alfa Romeo 145 1.4 Boxer

QUOTE(donutty @ 15th June 2019 08:48) *
Bom dia!

You have a lot of work ahead of you.. but it will be worth it.

Did you check for rust under the wheel arches, on the body sills etc ?? I don't know what the Portugal equivalent of UK MOT (vehicle roadworthiness test) says about how rusty some critical structural parts can be, but be assured there will be some rust even in a Mediterranean climate!

If the body structure is salvageable, next you need to get the engine working and the cosmetics are last on the list. Even with my restoration (145 QV) I drive with sagging cloth headliner and missing fabric from the door cards until I have the time and facilities to fix them.

As for electrics, you can get people to remove immobiliser check from the ECU. Otherwise you need a (set of) key that physically match the door locks and ignition switch and also the code transponder chip in the key needs to be learned into the immo unit, but this will not work with a second-hand immo unit on its own (i.e. without key set) so either you:

a) get ECU turned immo off and just get a new set of keys and barrels for doors and ignition [your current approach]
b) if you have key set, buy immo box with matching transponder chip (you can insert chip into your key)
c) buy full pack of immo box, keys, barrels which are all matched

What parts of the electrical system did you prove working? Does the starter motor crank the engine? Without proper immobiliser function it will not start (plugs will not fire) but it should still crank.

Good luck!!
P.S - It looks like you have the same weather had in the UK the whole week. Not nice for fixing cars outdoors!!

Hello,sorry for taking so long to respond to you.Today i was thinking to visit the Alfa romeo but as my last high school exams are literally at the door, i couldn't do so.The place where the car is "being stored" is 30 km from my home( is a car stand at the side of the road) and technically the car isn't mine(yet). Need to pay 65 euros to change to my name.

From what i saw, the only rust spot is the sunroof(a little miracle wink.gif ). Here in Portugal, if i not mistaken the mot test are a pain in the ass as they verify every single thing(not 100% sure it was told to me but i need to verify it).
The battery was 100% dead so i left it charging at night.The next time i went there(that rainy day) i had to take cover inside the car so i put the replacement key in the hanging ignition and gave it a try.The battery did not charge enough to start it but gave enough power to test small things: like the wipers(fully working),the lights,horn.PS:When i was inside the car i was a little claustrophobic as the cloth headliner is sagging, and the doors panels are not fitted correctly(took more space) but hey it is first time in my future car, nothing to be worried about.

Now the tricky part:The ecu.As i am unemployed, i don't have enough money to hire someone to take the immo off (I have a small contract with my parents=1000 euros budget XD). So i am doing it myself.I went 2 hours straight on the web to get the most info i could get about how to do the job.And i got it,sort of.Got a program "immoservicetool", only need to get the programmer or i would need to DIY(not great as i have 90% change to burn something XD) but i going to talk with some know mechanic if they can lend me that.

Forgot to say,No original keys, no gas as it is key locked but i being thinking of putting gas through the gas pump hole inside the car (temporary of course).

Weather were depends really on the climate change that trump denies,when it is sunny, is lovely to work until night but when it rains, it really rains.

Also I would love to see your alfa QV wink.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19 Oct 2019 18:07