IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steering: Fitting A New Steering Wheel Without An Airbag, Using a correct value resistor to terminate the airbag connector
claude
post 3rd March 2007 19:04
Post #1 | Print

1.4 16v

Group: Regular
Local Time: 10th December 2018 11:32
Member No.: 1,249
Driving: Alfa 145 QV Squadra chip K&N

OK for anyone intending to ditch the airbag wheel and fit a momo or similar I can now offer a solution to stop the damn airbag warning light coming on!

Basically when make sure to disconnect the battery 30 mins before removing the std steering wheel as suggested in quite a few other posts. Then remove the 3 allen bolts from the back of the wheel to remove the airbag assembly and (carefully!!) unplug the tiny plug in the back of the airbag. Now you can breath easy!! Put the airbag away somewhere safe. Then remove the central bolt for the steering wheel itself. It's f***ing tight! Rock the wheel to and fron until it comes loose off the splines then gently remove, feeding the wires through the small hole in the wheel.

You then have to remove the plastic steering column surroun. 4 screws at the bottom will remove the lower bit. Then you'll be able to see the 2 allen bolts for the top bit. Unscrew these and wiggle the bottom shroud free. You can then get to the 3 screws around the side of the airbag / horn wiring circular donut thingy. Unscrew these and pull the donut off. Put the donut with the old wheel - you don't need it for the momo wheel. There is a small 2-pin plug (mine was hidden in foam tape) which you need to undo. This is from the airbag controller. This is the clever(ish) bit. Go and buy a 2.2 ohm / 0.6watt resistor from somewhere like maplins. They cost about 6 pence! plug the wires from this into the 2 pin socket above the steering column, that the airbag was plugged in to. Put tape around it to keep it in place, amking sure the pins don't touch one another.

Now you can put on the momo boss, horn push, wheel etc. When you reconnect the battery the airbag computer is fooled into thinking the airbag is still there and hey presto the light stays off! Hope this helps as I had to do a fair bit of research to settle on the 2.2 ohm resistor! Claude.
Go to the top of the page
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
crit71
post 3rd March 2007 19:23
Post #2 | Print

Forum Aircon Guru

Group: Veteran
Member No.: 664
Driving: 2009 Alfa 159 ti SW.

Nice one Claude. I've seen quite a few posts on here wondering 'bout the resistance value of the airbag sensor.

P.S. If i haven't said it already.....welcome.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
GialloEvo94
post 3rd March 2007 19:37
Post #3 | Print

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 954
Driving: Alfa 145 QV, Lancia Delta Integrale Evo, SEAT Leon Mk2 FR+ TDI DSG

Good work thumbsup.gif Now in the FAQ section biggrin.gif

I'll just add a link in this thread to the workshop manual section on how to remove the steering wheel airbag as additional help for anyone else who also attempts this job...

How to remove the steering wheel airbag: See page 171 of this document.

--------------------
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
claude
post 3rd March 2007 21:36
Post #4 | Print

1.4 16v

Member No.: 1,249
Driving: Alfa 145 QV Squadra chip K&N

Thanks gents. Its a novelty to have t'internet at home I've been having to use it at work for the last few years with my boss staring over my shoulder!! whistle.gif
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
JeremyG
post 1st December 2018 11:11
Post #5 | Print

1.4 16v

Local Time: 10th December 2018 10:32
Member No.: 12,797
Driving: 166 3.0 Sportronic, 145 QV

To add to this thread - the steering wheel retaining nut is 24mm and the tightening torque is 43-53 Nm

This post has been edited by JeremyG: 3rd December 2018 16:01
View Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ganz
post 2nd December 2018 21:59
Post #6 | Print

1.6 8v

Local Time: 10th December 2018 10:32
Member No.: 10,640
Driving: 145 Cloverleaf 2.0L ts